July 8th and 9th- Hippodrome- Montreal!! (Part 8)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got to Montreal, got soaked outside the stadium, didn't c any line, went back to hotel..any idea about line for tomorrow anyone? Anyone giving numbers?

Thanks for the info about the bad GA security situation. I was FB-ing updates, too. (Yeah, I just used Facebook as a verb! :reject: )

I am going to blast the planning in my review. Total bullshit. They planned for people to show up and spend money. They didn't plan for lines, heat, cold, wind, rain, etc.
No direction. No one yelling instructions or updates. Makes Anaheim security look like Einsteins and Elliot Ness combined (old person reference. Sue me.).

Pretty good show. The people of Montreal are amazing. I am noting that in my review, too. Almost no pushing. No complaining. Kind. Good people!

When Bono sings about the Moment of Surrender. I'm sure he was referring to the apocalyptic rain that fucking came out of no where and cause 70000 people to run as if hell were nipping at their heals. Picture that mob running to one place. The subway.

Whoa.

Boyz were in fine form. Bono gave me a shout out during Ms. Sarajevo. Crazy yo.

More to review later when I peel this wet underwear outta the crack of my butt.

All I have to say....some good...some bad.....but Montreal fans are NUTS!

Absolutely soaked to the core after the concert. Spent 1.5 hours waiting for transit only to hop on the subway at namur station. Pretty good show but no surprises. A lot of French spoken by Bono and a cool O Canada reference.

It really was a clusterfuck after the concert as everyone darted for the metro only to have to wait in the poring rain waiting for the shuttle buses. It didn't rain until three quarters through MOS so outside the rain I really enjoyed my time in Montreal. Supposedly U2 starts earlier tomorrow night.

How boring is Interpol? Everyone around us was showing their Montreal good nature by paying attention and then politely clapping, but no one liked them.

Well, I had never run so well before in a non-race. I was the fourth guy into the bit after starting 19th. It was hella-long of a run. Maybe a football field and a half. My long-distance skills picked up halfway through and carried me the rest of the way to front rail, two feet left of center of Bono.

As for the show itself, it was my least interesting of 2011, maybe tied for least favorite of the tour. I can see why U2Brother liked it. He got at least one or two shout-outs from Bono, as did a few others :wink: But for me, the combination of a more boring setlist and the rain at the end that ruined a lot of people's moods (I'm still awake drying their clothes) was a bit of a downer.

Looks like the second show line is a bit of a mess, too. It has changed hands three times and there may be a new system in place by 5 a.m. I went from 12 to 30, and by morning may not have a number at all.

It really was a clusterfuck after the concert as everyone darted for the metro only to have to wait in the poring rain waiting for the shuttle buses. It didn't rain until three quarters through MOS so outside the rain I really enjoyed my time in Montreal. Supposedly U2 starts earlier tomorrow night.

Oy vey was it ever - both leaving, and earlier with the GA entry. Anyway, good show as usual. Here's my vid of Zooropa tonight...

YouTube - ‪U2 - Zooropa @ Hippodrome Montreal Canada 7/8/11 8/7/11‬‏

Great show last night. Too bad there weren't any surprises, but that means that tonight is gonna be EPIC! :D

We showed up late and waited around at the Wendy's nearby for a while, but got in at 6pm and managed to have a spot in the pit on Adam's side! :up:

I'm probably going to soundboard it tonight, but we'll see, since we managed to get a kick-ass place despite showing up at that hour. :) My roomie is probably going to show up earlier than me...

GA this morning is first come first served. No honoring of lists. The police are running the show this AM, no bullshit. About 200 in line.

Thanks, that's good to know. :)

I don't know when (or if) they stopped letting people in, sorry.

Yes, you can leave & come back. They stamp your arm, so you just show the various security people that, and you can come and go as you please. We left for the last time near the end of Interpol's set, as we didn't want to give up our spot, but people were still coming and going, even through U2's set.

Awesome concert!!! Awesome crowd!!! We stood by the soundboard so thanks to everyone for that suggestion!!!!:hyper::love: I am hoping to catch the live stream off U2.com tonight so I can relive all the magic again (and wait to hear the surprise song or two...)

:down: to Evenko and the STM for not planning ahead in the event of rain. I now know the true meaning of Fan Jam, waiting in line to get on the Metro in the soaking rain. We did not get back to the hotel to almost 2 in the morning. We both were soaking wet as well as our belongings (that were inside a bag)!!! I'm afraid my camera is damaged...I got the black screen of death this morning!!!:angry:

kramwest1 said:
Is someone on Interference in charge of the queue? I don't think so, but :shrug:

I think many people on here are just dealing with what was put in place or criticizing it.

Do you think the GA line is working fine, or if not, what would you propose?
Throwing around "You" and "reports coming in about you all over the Internet" doesn't help things. How about some more specific, constructive criticism or something helpful?

I would propose that if you want to get a good spot at a show that you turn up physically at a venue and - shock horror - stay put apart from bathroom and food breaks of less than an hour.

This bs about putting your name on a list before you are even physically at a venue and complaining when people who join it while you're away from the line don't like you strolling back with bellys full of a three course meal you ate in the comfort of a bar or restaurant somewhere for 4 hours - it is utterly ridiculous.

And no, I dont need to be more specific. It's happening and people know it.

If you want me to find out which Plebans are involved I could round up a few names for ya!

EdgeFest said:
GA this morning is first come first served. No honoring of lists. The police are running the show this AM, no bullshit. About 200 in line.

Best news I've heard for ages.

Too bad about those people who had their names on a list before their flights even landed in Montreal. MWAH HA HA

LMFHO

I would propose that if you want to get a good spot at a show that you turn up physically at a venue and - shock horror - stay put apart from bathroom and food breaks of less than an hour.

This bs about putting your name on a list before you are even physically at a venue and complaining when people who join it while you're away from the line don't like you strolling back with bellys full of a three course meal you ate in the comfort of a bar or restaurant somewhere for 4 hours - it is utterly ridiculous.

And no, I dont need to be more specific. It's happening and people know it.

If you want me to find out which Plebans are involved I could round up a few names for ya!

I couldn't agree more. I don't understand the list thing. But, I don't do the pit. I did once in Anaheim, and that was it. We got there at 9 am and stayed the whole day. I just don't care to be that close that much--my opinion.

It really reflects on the venue that they don't get on top of this. I think there has been one or two venues over the last 2 tours that actually had a plan for fans who would be there overnight.

So, I understand that in lieu of security actually doing their job, some fans would make a list, but that doesn't mean it's the best idea.

Thank you for responding. This is important and should be discussed.

I couldn't agree more. I don't understand the list thing. But, I don't do the pit. I did once in Anaheim, and that was it. We got there at 9 am and stayed the whole day. I just don't care to be that close that much--my opinion.

It really reflects on the venue that they don't get on top of this. I think there has been one or two venues over the last 2 tours that actually had a plan for fans who would be there overnight.

So, I understand that in lieu of security actually doing their job, some fans would make a list, but that doesn't mean it's the best idea.

Thank you for responding. This is important and should be discussed.

look at the Baltimore show thread.. Best security I have ever seen at a U2 show over years of doing GA.

question for the people there last night - best spot to be in GA to ensure the quickest exit at the end of the show? - have to go in to work after and don't want to leave early

Before:

5nmxpb

During:

5nmzgr

^ awesome find Lila, :up: :drool:

as for the whole GA debacle :crack: . . .and I think the most awful thing is that all the confusion and back and forth is souring what really should be a fantastic experience for all . . . I understand wanting to be up close (was lucky enough to be on the floor for a couple of lovetown shows and did red zone in sydney last year) but not all the drama that seems to have peaked over the last few days . . . and I still believe that the band and their management should get their fingers out of their behinds and work with security at each and every venue to ensure that the entire experience is a good one . . . just my :twocents:

have a great show today to all those who will be there ~ stay safe :hug:

U2Brother (Mark) is looking for 2GA's for tonight's show for two fans from Austria who got ripped off and are without tickets. Post here or on Facebook if you can help.

Lila, thanks for posting those!:up:

the crowd really was amazing. I kept reminding myself to turn around and look at everyone, especially during Streets!:love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom