July 30, 2011 - Magnetic Hill, Moncton, New Brunswick, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I too was "spoken harshly" to by people with numbers lower than mine after arriving more quickly at the second "waiting point" after having our tickets scanned once officially inside the venue. I arrived at that point 40-60 people ahead of where my number was b/c I didn't have bags to be searched, I wore sensible, weather appropriate shoes (not flipping around in barely-there flip flops and other sandals that should have been tossed hours earlier) and I didn't have to wait on large group of friends or young kids walking slowly with me.

But I wasn't going back in the line. Because now another 100 people had done the same thing.

Once we were in the venue we thought we were going to the stage, not wait another 45 minutes for the opening opening act to soundcheck!

Agreed up by whom? U2 security? Venue security? If so, they did a poor job of telling the line, because I never heard it until I was yelled at by a fan afterwards. And oddly enough, that person never mentioned in their argument that this was a security-sanctioned decision.

I would guess that it was "agreed upon" by the people in the front of the line. Who never informed me until afterwards, nor did they ever consult me as a member of the line. :|

Whatever. I was perfectly happy with my spot in the pit in the end! I just wish there hadn't been so much sniping among fans in the line throughout the day until I got to that spot.

In amongst this whole saga of a thread, my favourite moments were reading RavenBlue's accounts. Cos this was her gig in her neck of the woods. After a while, I don't want to read about some fan's 50th gig of the tour, or how far they flew, or how much they spent on hotels/tents/folding chairs. I am chuffed that a local fan got to see U2 play in their town where they've never been. Not interested in the fans from Dublin/London/France/NY/Timbuktu. Just the delight that a local gets from seeing U2 for the first and maybe only time on the tour, maybe the first time in who knows how many years, and that every song is special.

Maybe we nutters tend to forget that...

I will admit that I benefited from that first check point and my ability to walk faster than some. I might have gained a few spots in the line. But it's all fair in the end. You might have had the benefit of taking more time off from work. I benefit from being faster. It all balances out in the end. You never know how it's going to go. This was probably the most fair GA line (thanks to the rain. If it had been nice, it would have been a massive free for all) in relation to Montreal 1 which became a massive cluster.

See, this show seemed like home to me as well. NY and Philly might have been a little closer - but NB felt easy peasy. Until we drove home. Maine was loooong.

In amongst this whole saga of a thread, my favourite moments were reading RavenBlue's accounts. Cos this was her gig in her neck of the woods. After a while, I don't want to read about some fan's 50th gig of the tour, or how far they flew, or how much they spent on hotels/tents/folding chairs. I am chuffed that a local fan got to see U2 play in their town where they've never been. Not interested in the fans from Dublin/London/France/NY/Timbuktu. Just the delight that a local gets from seeing U2 for the first and maybe only time on the tour, maybe the first time in who knows how many years, and that every song is special.

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

Nearly every song is special (sorry, can;t do it for 'In a little While' :D)

My wife and I attended the show with our friend from Newfoundland and our best friends, who now live in Halifax. This show was our best friends' first U2 show, and they had a blast. Spending the entire day with them (and our Newfie friend) in the queue and then at the show made this a very, very special day. They definitely made this show memorable for us.

:up: Newfoundland loves U2! I know quite a few fans here -- none quite as hardcore as I am, mind you, but perhaps that's a great thing. :wink:

In amongst this whole saga of a thread, my favourite moments were reading RavenBlue's accounts. Cos this was her gig in her neck of the woods...

She done good. :rockon: This show was just steeped in character, and RB captured so much of that... My lone regret is that I didn't meet more of you guys during my trip -- but in hindsight, I was just incredibly pooped, and it was everything I could muster to make it to Moncton and the GA line on time. Hope this changes in the future...

Also agree with GraceRyan's appraisal of the rain influence in GA...it actually acted as a democratizing force -- the lack of sunshine seemed to keep some of the more lightweight fans away from lining up as early.

Cheers Blueeyedgirl.. it was a thrill and a half.. and I hope maybe they'll continue to tour in the Maritimes in the future. If not Moncton, then Halifax could probably accommodate them. We went to see them in Boston in 2009 fully expecting that to be the only 360 show we'd get to.. and then this came up. A dream come true, really.. it was brilliant.

I didn't line up at all. Walked in at the end of a mile long line. Hung out on the hill for maybe an hour while it wasn't crowded, met a cool guy from Halifax who was there for his first U2 show, got fish n chips :drool:, then finally decided to go down to the pit after all to find friends, and still ended up 2nd row Adams side. Now admittedly it wasn't a prime spot and was a side view, but we still got plenty of smiles and eye contact from Adam :cute:, some awesome photos (as you can see from the Bono pic I posted earlier in the thread :) ), and the energy and fun of being close, and without the stress!

There was a tiny bit of pit drama near us twice with some very rude people who pushed their way up during the show and stood right in front of these great kids that were next to us. I told the guy not to do that, he ignored me so I said Really you are going to just stand in front of these kids? and he says "Hey this is the mosh pit, that's the way it goes, tough!" :angry: So my daughter and I grabbed the kids (well, young teens) and pulled them up in front of rude guy and friends, who finally left. But otherwise it was good.

Was it a guy with dark hair in a bright blue poncho? There were a few people who came in and stood right near us a few times, but later moved on .... that's kind of the way it goes.

But this guy in the poncho came and kept standing right in front of everyone, with just no sense of personal space, and people were very firmly telling him to "keep going." He did, but looked a little bewildered.

Zoney, Schmeg and I joined the line around 2 or so, we were just around the bend past that second set of porta potties in the line. We got into the first clump of GA that got near the gates and then were delayed, and waltzed right into the spot we wanted - back rail, far side of the stage. Yay. :)

She done good. :rockon: This show was just steeped in character, and RB captured so much of that... My lone regret is that I didn't meet more of you guys during my trip -- but in hindsight, I was just incredibly pooped, and it was everything I could muster to make it to Moncton and the GA line on time. Hope this changes in the future...

Wish I could've met up with you as well, just wasn't in the cards this trip. We had a couple friends of ours with us and it was the first U2 show for them ever. The only two concerts one friend had previously seen were Rod Stewart and Rawlins Cross (a celtic band) so this was huge. It was great hearing him openly gasp at the light show and such. I think this show had a huge impact, simply for the fact that it was in a location where not many bands choose to play. Moncton may seem middle of nowhere, but it is very centrally located. Fans from New England, Nova Scotia, PEI, Quebec were all represented.. I read many articles in the local paper of people saying they thought they would never get to see U2 live and then this happened... Every second was precious and the mud was worth it.

Was it a guy with dark hair in a bright blue poncho? There were a few people who came in and stood right near us a few times, but later moved on .... that's kind of the way it goes.

But this guy in the poncho came and kept standing right in front of everyone, and people were very firmly telling him to "keep going." He did, but looked a little bewildered.

Zoney, Schmeg and I joined the line around 2 or so, we were just around the bend past that second set of porta potties in the line. We got into the first clump of GA that got near the gates and then were delayed, and waltzed right into the spot we wanted - back rail, far side of the stage. Yay. :)

Hmm I honestly don't remember, as I tend to sorta forget people like that as asap, but I do remember rude guy #2 was in blue who crawled up my back :yuck: and wormed his way thru everyone until he was squished onto the rail and pushed the girl who was there already out. He just stared back at everyone with a stupid grin on his face acting like he didn't understand until they got security on him, whom he argued with in english so yeah he understood, and he finally made a big deal of acting like he was oh so wonderful for stepping back and giving her the rail back, but he was still annoyingly close to her back all night which gave us the creeps, but :shrug:

... Every second was precious and the mud was worth it.

Was it ever. :up: I'm also firmly convinced that there was some sort of euphoric or blissful binding agent in said mud! It's a full week later, and I'm still feeling energized by the show...

But this guy in the poncho came and kept standing right in front of everyone, with just no sense of personal space, and people were very firmly telling him to "keep going." He did, but looked a little bewildered.

I absolutely detest when people do that. Because I'm fairly tall, I'm not usually a victim, but I notice how it happens quite often with people around me, including kids who may be seeing the band for the first time.

Was it ever. :up: I'm also firmly convinced that there was some sort of euphoric or blissful binding agent in said mud! It's a full week later, and I'm still feeling energized by the show...

I absolutely detest when people do that. Because I'm fairly tall, I'm not usually a victim, but I notice how it happens quite often with people around me, including kids who may be seeing the band for the first time.

I make a point of making room for kids and smaller people (i'm 6;3') I see anyone being a prat and pushing kids and smaller people away and blocking their view I try and "educate" them :D

Exactly! These kids next to us were so great. They were so into Arcade Fire and singing along to all the AF and U2 songs. When jerkface and crew stood in front of them completely blocking their view they just looked so sad!

Cheers Blueeyedgirl.. it was a thrill and a half.. and I hope maybe they'll continue to tour in the Maritimes in the future. If not Moncton, then Halifax could probably accommodate them. We went to see them in Boston in 2009 fully expecting that to be the only 360 show we'd get to.. and then this came up. A dream come true, really.. it was brilliant.

You're welcome! Call me BEG... :D

I love seeing new fans experiences these shows too :hi5:

I had a girl beside me who had never seen U2 before. We chatted the whole time before U2 took the stage and she was freaking out! She had no idea about the moving bridges or the screen expanding, etc. I love seeing people react to the show when they've never seen it. :up:

I love seeing new fans experiences these shows too :hi5:

I had a girl beside me who had never seen U2 before. We chatted the whole time before U2 took the stage and she was freaking out! She had no idea about the moving bridges or the screen expanding, etc. I love seeing people react to the show when they've never seen it. :up:

I was standing next to these Portuguese fans (architects) in Coimbra last October seeing their first show. They were 'well it's a big event in our town, never seen U2 before" people before the show. After the show? :love: Both of them were like ''I've gotta go to Rome for the last show!" :lol::hug:

Are we becoming the moonies of rock music ? Everyone who see this spectacle becomes addicted! I think i might need deprogramming ;)

Great photos, especially the ones of Bono lying down. I think I can see my wife's head in one of those pics, too. Cool!

Moncton7-30-2011chelseapenyak4.jpg

Moncton7-30-2011chelseapenyak5.jpg

So I've been avoiding this thread for fear of :sad: -- too late! Love all the pics, memories...

But look. I have a bone to pick. These were the only RCMP I saw! WTH? Where's the red serge, lanyards, Pemmican, HORSES? Ah, bitter disappointment here. :wink:

007_7.jpg

Yellow jackets and bicycles? Really? :shrug:

I love that grin :cute:

:up: It's comforting! I'm perfectly straight, but when Adam winked at me during his walkabout, I immediately imagined us drinking green tea and discussing how the magnificent cliffs of Ireland stack up against his native English countryside.

So I've been avoiding this thread for fear of :sad: -- too late! Love all the pics, memories...

But look. I have a bone to pick. These were the only RCMP I saw! WTH? Where's the red serge, lanyards, Pemmican, HORSES? Ah, bitter disappointment here. :wink:

007_7.jpg

Yellow jackets and bicycles? Really? :shrug:

:lol: We need a Moncton do-over, for these patriotic reasons alone.

Your mention of horses triggered another animal-related memory for me...

I'll never forget my solitary journey to the start of the GA line, which started out on the main road -- in the torrential downpour -- and took me right through the Moncton zoo. It all seemed very bizarre – especially so when a rain-soaked llama walked over to greet me at the fenced off area.

I continued on, for what seemed an eternity...

Then, through the relentless rain, something magical: the thumping echo of Even Better Than the Real Thing…coming from somewhere. I rounded the wet, puddled corners on the trail, and soon saw a very familiar shape emerging through the mist: the 360 stage! Just an incredible moment... This was at 11 in the morning, and at first I figured it was some sort of local cover band creating the sounds. When the caffeine from my coffee finally kicked in, I realized I was hearing none other than Edge, himself; stops and starts, amazing riffs...and an interesting transition from EBTTRT to MOS.

Amazing moment -- one that made the rain somehow disappear in an instant and set my heart thumping in anticipation for the 'official' show through the rest of the long GA wait.

Let's keep the memories and pics flowing! Could the "I survived (and thrived!) at U2 360 in Moncton" shirt possibly be next? :wink:

Could the "I survived (and thrived!) at U2 360 in Moncton" shirt possibly be next? :wink:

I wants one!!!

Oh wow, your llama story is so cool!

I really am disappointed in not seeing any red serge, though, even at the Canadian border. I almost screeched, "Take me to where the REAL Mounties live!" (okay I may have a wee fetish...) :reject:

I really am disappointed in not seeing any red serge, though, even at the Canadian border. I almost screeched, "Take me to where the REAL Mounties live!" (okay I may have a wee fetish...) :reject:

:lol: I think it's pretty normal...it's an internationally-respected and highly striking uniform. ;)

Those mounties in yellow look like the cops that patrol downtown Seattle on bikes. :lol:

Also, there was a pony in the field next to will call. Just not something you see every day at a U2 concert.

Back
Top Bottom