Joshua Tree included in Guitar World Magazine top 10..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
They put Joshua Tree at the #6 best Alternative Guitar Album. I know, should have been higher. I was actually suprised, considering this is the first time I've ever seen U2 even mentioned in this magazine(I've subscribed for 3 years). I really like the whole list actually.

The list is:

1. The Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground & Nico
2. Nirvana - Nevermind
3. Radiohead - Ok Computer
4. REM - Murmur
5. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
6. U2 - Joshua Tree
7. Television - Marquee Moon
8. The Pixies - Doolittle
9. The Cure - Disintegration
10. Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out

Here's the Joshua Tree blurb from the article:

No one sounds quite like the Edge, though many have tried. On this, the pinnacle of U2's early years, his unmistakable sound is showcased on nearl every track. And the album's opening riff induces chills on every listen.

Last edited:
that's the best thing that's been printed in that magazine in ages!

I never thought of JT as alternative... Zooropa is another story.

cujo said:
I never thought of JT as alternative...

You should see some of their other lists, apparently Van Halen - Van Halen is one of the best "Classic Rock" albums of all time...

Like it or not, Edward Van Halen was the most original, innovative technical guitarist post Jimi Hendrix. No matter how cheesy Van Halen may or may not be, Van Halen 1 was unmistakeably original in it's guitar work.

pukebreath said:
Like it or not, Edward Van Halen was the most original, innovative technical guitarist post Jimi Hendrix. No matter how cheesy Van Halen may or may not be, Van Halen 1 was unmistakeably original in it's guitar work.

It seems like no matter what you say in these forums, someone will take it the wrong way...

I was commenting on how Guitar World thought that the Van Halen- Van Halen album was a "classic rock" album. Classic rock is usually considered to be things like Led Zeppelin, old Aerosmith, etc. I'd never seen anyone call Van Halen a "classic rock" group. That's what I was commenting on. If you read the rest of my post we were talking about how it's odd that they considered Joshua Tree to be an "alternative" album.

I know Eddie Van Halen is a good guitarist, and I never said anything derogatory towards him or his band...

Last edited:
that's some list they appear in up there. I suppose at the time, Edge's guitar was alternative, so new, so vast.
Polls like that are just someone's opinion at the time. We know where U2 belong :)
We don't buy Guitar World magazine very often, but my sons have have learned quite a bit from the ones we have had.
It's always good to see a band you love get a mention.
My boys are like scouts, they read the magazines more closely. They will always point out any mention of U2 to me. They pop up from time to time, in lists of bands that people mention as being their influence.
Yay Edge and those guitars of his...

Back
Top Bottom