Interference Random Music Talk Phase X: In which THE COFF! gets her oats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look whose unworthy, tool husband just became even more of a tool:

Pitchfork: Death Cab Join New Moon Mall Tour

:no:

I'm thanking my lucky stars THE GRIZ!, Bon Bon, St. Vinny, and Lykke Li aren't taking part in this. Out of all the artists I like or love on that soundtrack, Death Cab was the most expendable. Arrivederci. Between this, Yes Man, and The Happening, that couple is quickly falling out of favor with me.

Anybody hear of "Chairlift"?

I posted about them a long time ago. Included "Planet Health" is my most recent Desert Island tournament playlist. It's a decent, inoffensive album with a couple very nice moments ("Bruises" among them). Caroline is hot. They've got potential.

9.3? No fucking way is it worth that rating.

I don't know why we're supposed to shut up; the idea is that P-Fork's appreciation for the band seems inversely proportional to their popularity, and sadly their development as well.

I think that line about Achtung Baby all but seals the fact that AB's reissue will be a 10.0. It has to be, right?

Yeah, I spoke too soon. I hadn't read the part about the "most rewarding artistic coup". Of course, someone other than Ryan Dombal might take a backhanded hatchet to it in two years.

But then, we wonder how it failed to make the Top FUCKING 100 of the 90's. Assholes.

What's also funny is that most of the review is about Bad(minton). He barely discusses the songs (not that there are many substantial ones).

It's actually a fine review and an appropriate score, in my eyes. And given the Achtung, Birdie statement, what I said months ago is extremely likely: 10.0.

I don't know why we're supposed to shut up; the idea is that P-Fork's appreciation for the band seems inversely proportional to their popularity, and sadly their development as well.

There's really no way to know this until we get reviews of the three albums from the 90s. I'm a guy who is fairly in tune with Pitchfork's sensibilities, and they're three of my top fifteen favorite albums of all time (Unforgettable Liar is also in there, for what it's worth). So I don't necessarily think it's inversely proportional to popularity. I've been on the record with Unforgettable Liar being my favorite 80s album for a while, with Ball Boy second. Pitchfork may be falling into the Impy model.

Either way, it's obvious they're very reverent to Shuttlecock, even if they've made some digs in the past decade. But you know what? Those digs are warranted after three straight albums that in no way live up to what the band are capable of. The reason I love Shuttlecock, the reason I'm on this site to begin with, are in those incredible albums they made in the 80s and 90s. They're undeniable. Pitchfork gets that.

I'm listening to the album for the first time in a while since we're talking about it, just getting to what P4K considered to be its climax, and I'm already extremely sad that I'll mostly likely never hear "Bad(minton)" played live. Why its not one of those "we have to play this every show" things is so beyond me.

You never know, slick. I've heard it like eight times, or something, this decade...including once on the current tour.

Also, I really do think that "Elvis Presley" is a massive highlight on The Unforgettable Fire. Massive. Have felt that way for a long, long, long time. Very pleased FINALLY to see a review speak positively of it.

Also, I really do think that "Elvis Presley" is a massive highlight on The Unforgettable Fire. Massive. Have felt that way for a long, long, long time. Very pleased FINALLY to see a review speak positively of it.

Listening to it right now and completely agree. I've always loved it, but this is my first time through on the remaster.

I'm 100% percent secure in calling it their greatest 80s album and right behind Achtung, Birdie and Poppycock in the canon.

If you think they would rate Poppycock higher than a 7.5 you're crazy. And who knows if we'll even see a re-issue of that in the foreseeable future.

I absolutely think they'd find it iconoclastic enough to rate quite highly. Hell, maybe that's why I rate it so highly.

But Shuttlecock are so petrified of that album that it won't get a reissue. Which is pathetic.

Oh, it'll get reissued--it's just have 20__ Bono rapping on top of a whole bunch of "finished" music. It will be the most cringe-inducing thing the band has ever done, "Disappearing Act," "Wave of Sorrow," etc. notwithstanding.

it will get a reissue, it's the prospect of the songs being redone, a la Best Of Versions that bothers me. Just remaster the album, don't fuck with the songs please.

Also, do any of you notice that the "remaster job" on this isn't very hot? I don't think it sounds as good as their other ones, especially JT which is the yardstick imo...

Agreed on both - I do not like any of the reworkings they did for the Best Of disc.

I popped in the bonus disc for TUF first, and was immediately put off by how Disappearing Act sounded. I was so distracted by what sounded to me like semi-crappy quality that I could barely listen to the song to decide if I liked it or not. I'll go back and listen again - maybe it wasn't as bad as I first thought.

I'm not a big audiophile, so I couldn't really tell you if the actual album sounded a whole lot better from the original. I'll just assume it does. :wink:

lol, I actually thought the bonus disk sounded better than the album...

I've said it plenty of times before, despite the number of people who disagree. I prefer the remix of Gone to the original.

That said, the other mixes suck.

Gone isn't too bad but the new versions of Discotheque and SATS are both pretty awful and unnecessary if you ask me…

I like Disappearing Cock and Serve of Sorrow, but I have some lyrical issues with both. I'll take them both over Racquet in the Skies or The Cocks That Built America, that's for sure.

I absolutely think they'd find it iconoclastic enough to rate quite highly. Hell, maybe that's why I rate it so highly.

Well I know why WE like it, but I think that they'll just say that the band's artistic pursuits went off-track with an overload of irony, and they'll just use OK Computer (out the same year) as a contrast to show how it was done "right".

Time will tell. I still don't see that album getting any sort of reissue treatment.

The new Rihanna single is good.

Also, my girl Cheryl decided to be the first Aloud to go solo and she currently has the #1 single and album in the UK. And the single was the fastest selling of the year. So proud.

Is it that Russian Roulette song? :yuck:

I don't mind Rihanna's faster songs, but the minute she starts singing her whiny ballads I want to smash the radio. It's still not as bad as Unfaithful though.

Yeah, Russian Roulette. She's certainly not the best singer in the world, but I like the vibe of the song. I think it's a pretty cool and ballsy move to follow up an album that had Umbrella (filled with hooks) and clubby stuff like Disturbia with a slow, dark, grower of a song that closes with a loud gunshot. The album is called Rated R, too, which is cool. I like Rated R movies.

Oh, and the single cover is hawt:

original.jpg

Russian Roulette is garbage. I actually really dug her last record; nearly every single released off of that album (and that would be...75% of it?) is superior to this new one.

She is quite hot though, that always helps. Perhaps the song will sound better once there's a video to gawk at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom