Interference Random Music Talk Phase X: In which THE COFF! gets her oats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cocko couldn't hear Laz dancing, but I'm sure he heard some dribbling from Fergie Ferg.

You know what would be cool? If Shuttlecock did a residency like Wilco did a while back where they play several nights in one spot and play just about every song in their catalog. It's probably be in NYC or Dublin, but who cares? It's just an interesting concept for them.

Just load some more into the teleprompter. Unless some of the harder songs would hurt Hawwy Muffin's poor, poor widdle back.

Actually, they're just old NASA launch tapes. Because space travel turns me on.

Anyone care to venture a guess what THE FORK! is going to give The Unforgettable Liar remaster tomorrow? I can't tell if they're going to give a high rating use it as a fulcrum to bash current Shuttlecock, or to consider it the work of an energetic band getting in over their heads with a couple talented artists, resulting in some inspired material but still a bit of a mess (which it is).

I imagine the quality of the remaster and the supplemental material is going to figure in somehow, but I can't imagine it scoring higher than the low 8.0's.

I always thought non-U2 fans thought it hadn't aged well, or was all that great in the first place. Never know what to expect though, it all depends on which of their staff wrote the review.

Marquee Moon is long.

Anyone care to venture a guess what THE FORK! is going to give The Unforgettable Liar remaster tomorrow? I can't tell if they're going to give a high rating use it as a fulcrum to bash current Shuttlecock, or to consider it the work of an energetic band getting in over their heads with a couple talented artists, resulting in some inspired material but still a bit of a mess (which it is).

I imagine the quality of the remaster and the supplemental material is going to figure in somehow, but I can't imagine it scoring higher than the low 8.0's.

I expect a high rating I mean they interviewed Danny and Brian about it

Pitchfork: Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois Remember the Making of U2's Unforgettable Fire

I still think the album comes pretty close to the level of magnificence the band finally achieved with The Joshua Tree, though it's certainly not my favorite. Sonically there are all sorts of wonderful things going on. No idea where P4K will fall, but like Irish said, there's a good chance they're on board.

The Unforgettable Fire could have been as good as The Joshua Tree had they not left so many good tracks off the album. The final tracklisting is a mess.

I didn't read through pages of posts about the show I was at last night, but before I go to bed in a few minutes (because I was working on four fucking hours of sleep. FOUR):

I like that band, 'Cock. They're good. They're better than Slash and BEFP by a country MILE.

So yeah. I had an awesome douchebag seat, saw a bunch of pretty celebs, was the only old fart in my section of rich old farts who knew who the hell Andy Summers was and recognized him and got excited to see him, and loved the show even though it was a slightly inferior carbon copy of Vegas two nights previous. I don't care. I had a blast. :)

The Unforgettable Fire could have been as good as The Joshua Tree had they not left so many good tracks off the album. The final tracklisting is a mess.

Sorry, but no fucking way. I guess it's feasible to consider The Joshua Cock overrated, but the b-sides from Cock Awake in America still don't add enough, and I doubt there's enough on the remaster to going to make up the difference.

Even if you want to have that argument, then I could say the extra songs that would have made Joshua Cock a double album easily beat your fantasy Unforgettable Liar like a red-headed stepchild.

It's a warm-up. An adventurous and occasionally brilliant one, but a warm-up none the less, and nowhere is the disparity between the two albums more evident than in the song/lyric writing. Because there's not much on the earlier one.

^ Agreed that the lyric writing on J. Tree is way ahead of Unforgettable Fire.

The lyrics on J. Tree are immaculate in a number of places.

Sorry, but no fucking way. I guess it's feasible to consider The Joshua Cock overrated, but the b-sides from Cock Awake in America still don't add enough, and I doubt there's enough on the remaster to going to make up the difference.

Even if you want to have that argument, then I could say the extra songs that would have made Joshua Cock a double album easily beat your fantasy Unforgettable Liar like a red-headed stepchild.

It's a warm-up. An adventurous and occasionally brilliant one, but a warm-up none the less, and nowhere is the disparity between the two albums more evident than in the song/lyric writing. Because there's not much on the earlier one.

"As good as" is an overstatement, on second thought. But this:

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. Pride (In the Name of Love)
3. Wire
4. Indian Summer Sky
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Promenade
7. The Three Sunrises
8. Boomerang II
9. Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come
10. 4th of July
11. Bass Trap
12. Love Comes Tumbling
13. Bad

Is still a hell of an album.

^ Agreed that the lyric writing on J. Tree is way ahead of Unforgettable Fire.

The lyrics on J. Tree are immaculate in a number of places.

That's definitely the big difference between the two: yeah, the music's an improvement, but not nearly as big of an improvement as the lyric writing.

"The sun so bright, it leaves no shadows, only scars" is just as good as it gets.

I agree with this as well. As much as UF holds a special place for me, just because I love the soundscapes they were going for, there's no question that JT is the more mature album, with better songwriting and lyrics.

Wow, that's something, even for you, laz. Finally, a cockification that I can stand actually behind.

Apparently Obi-Wan himself was at the show last night.

I would have rather seen him than Pau Gasol. :angry:

n2b55.jpg

"As good as" is an overstatement, on second thought. But this:

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. Pride (In the Name of Love)
3. Wire
4. Indian Summer Sky
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Promenade
7. The Three Sunrises
8. Boomerang II
9. Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come
10. 4th of July
11. Bass Trap
12. Love Comes Tumbling
13. Bad

Is still a hell of an album.

See, you done fucked up by (a) destroying the Promenade-4th of July-Bad flow, which is one of the greatest moments in the 2's history, (b) cutting EPAA and (c) closing with Bad. For me, UF isn't perfect, but to tamper with it would be to fuck with what it does brilliantly and what it has going for it, as opposed to something like HTDAAB that can be fucked with, without messing with the spine of the album.*

*IMO

As for lyrics, The Unforgettable Fire and Promenade have quite possibly my favourite U2 lyrics. Heartland is right up there with those two, though.

MLCock is a terrible closer. It should have been in the #3 slot as a coda to In The Name of Cock. I thought that was obvious to everyone.

I like the idea of closing with Bad(minton), but it's also hard to imagine Elvis Presley and Cock anywhere else, and I don't think it's bad enough to be cut from the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom