Interference Random Movie Talk Episode VIII: First Contact with Lance's Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks so fucking insane...I'd love to watch that at like 4am after not sleeping for about 3 days.

Watching Oshii films at any time of day simulates much the same feeling.

Potential retort: "Right on... because they're so fucking slow and uneventful."

But fuck those people.

I have to challenge people to duels when they make similar comments about Chariots of Fire. Which, I'm not claiming everyone should love or anything. It's just that I work in sports, well, for another month, and the topic of sports films always comes up....and when I tell people that Chariots is easily my favorite sports film of all time, they tell me it sucks cos it's slow. Hey, maybe it does suck, but let's not always equate long or slow with suck, get a fucking attention span.

Raging Bull is my 2nd favorite sports film, though many will say it's not a sports film at all. It's still about a boxer, so it slots into that category.

YouTube - The Sky Crawlers

Speaking of Oshii, I'd strongly urge everyone to check this out. His latest released directed feature (I can't believe how fast he finished Assault Girls). I watched this a few months ago actually, I don't think I ever brought it up here, as it was only released on DVD/BD here in North America. But if you want to count that as a 2009 release then it's probably my favorite film this year. I bet most of the Zoo Station readers probably won't like it all that much, but I still suggest watching it anyway. There's nobody quite like Oshii out there.

Speaking of Oshii, I'd strongly urge everyone to check this out. His latest released directed feature (I can't believe how fast he finished Assault Girls). I watched this a few months ago actually, I don't think I ever brought it up here, as it was only released on DVD/BD here in North America. But if you want to count that as a 2009 release then it's probably my favorite film this year. I bet most of the Zoo Station readers probably won't like it all that much, but I still suggest watching it anyway. There's nobody quite like Oshii out there.

This looks good to me....maybe when the gf and I are done watching all the Miyazaki films, we'll check this sucka out.

The initial two guys running and floating at each other in a fight scene first seen in a split second trailer is similar though, so I can see where people are coming from.

It's actually incredibly similar. I wonder if Nolan was making a direct nod to the Wachowski brother/sister duo of filmmakers with that shot.

This looks good to me....maybe when the gf and I are done watching all the Miyazaki films, we'll check this sucka out.

I'm glad. That trailer makes the film out to have a much greater ratio of action:non-action than it really does. Actually, it comes off a fair bit more dramatic all together. But that's the nature of trailers I guess. Not to suggest you'd have a problem with that. Just saying.

Also Rinko Kikuchi voices the female lead (Japanese VO). :cute:

I was going to see this in the theatre and balked after reading a handful of iffy reviews.

Need to catch up.

There's no way I wake up in time to seen Basterds at noon tomorrow. But the effort is there. Consider the alarm set.

I was going to see this in the theatre and balked after reading a handful of iffy reviews.

Need to catch up.

It's definitely another good reason to make the move to blu-ray.

1444_16_large.jpg

1444_14_large.jpg

1444_3_large.jpg

1444_5_large.jpg

Hey? Guess what? I did wake up in time. And I'm about to head to the theater. So look forward to having someone else hopping on the You Little Basterds train.

Good for you?

I might try to get to the theater myself before my 5:20 class this evening to see Thirst before it stops showing this weekend.

I still have a couple more crazy days of work before this project is finished.

Hopefully I can catch a matinee on Thursday at my favorite theatre. I'll be shelling out the $6.75 (they used to have $4.50 matinees up until like a year ago!), but I imagine it will be worth it with this film.

Actually, believe it or not, it's not random at all.

It's something YLB will know right off the bat and laugh at.....have you seen The Dark Knight?

:)

I told YLB that if an Alfred spinoff happened, and they flashed back to when he and "some friends of his" went down to a do a little job in Burma, I'd be in.

If they can bring Donald Pleasance back from the dead to somehow be a part of this, it could be the greatest movie ever made.

It's official, by the way:

Inception if the movie I'll most be looking forward to for the next year.

More than The Road, which really better not suck.

If Inception is bad, people will likely get hurt.

The Road is coming out this year, if I'm not mistaken.

Inception, The Expendables, Shutter Island :(, Iron Man 2, and Scott Pilgrim for me.

Hey? Guess what? I did wake up in time. And I'm about to head to the theater. So look forward to having someone else hopping on the You Little Basterds train.

I hopped on today, and it was damn good.

It's a close second-favorite behind Pulp Fiction for me, if we're gonna go back through Tarantino's filmography.

Landa is the best character in any of his films, however. Just a notch above Jules and Jackie Brown for me.

That opening scene (or "chapter," I guess) was unbelievable because of Landa and Tarantino's complete control of the tension. Shit, if that's anything he's a master of, it's that.

And it's the first time one of his movies doesn't end in an anti-climax, and look how it went. GAF has a new av, and it's awesome.

It was ace, both in terms of entertainment and his 'making the blood drain out of your face' interrogating.

I've always dug Mr White too, especially with the deleted scene info where it's revealed what he did with a previous mole. His morals and ethics are the core of the film IMO.

It was ace, both in terms of entertainment and his 'making the blood drain out of your face' interrogating.

I've always dug Mr White too, especially with the deleted scene info where it's revealed what he did with a previous mole. His morals and ethics are the core of the film IMO.

He's up there for me as well. More for Keitel than anything else though.

It's funny cos in real life, QT seems so very hyper and antsy....yet he exhibits so much patience in his films.

It's like filmmaking is his Ritalin.

His interview with Elvis Mitchell on the KCRW Treatment podcast is great, btw. Recommend checking it out.

It's a close second-favorite behind Pulp Fiction for me, if we're gonna go back through Tarantino's filmography.

I feel slightly more validated now.

And yeah, the first chapter of this movie is better than any scene/chapter QT has ever done... by quite a wide margin I'd say.

Any of the scenes with long, long conversations were particularly well done. But yeah, especially that first chapter.

Back
Top Bottom