Inauguration Setlist Party - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, for fuck's sake. We don't even have a single officially released yet, and people are already complaining about this next "era", so to speak of U2? They haven't performed live as a full band in over 2 years, and the magnitude of this moment was probably huge for them. Also, I'm guessing the Lincoln Memorial doesn't have the best acoustics.:lol:

They are showing a movie on the link provided for outside US. When does the show start?

He sounds better than 8 or even 12 years ago, and he just may surpass Vertigo if his current (post-Vertigo tour) vocals are anything to go by . :shrug:

Wow, just read through this thread. Glad (most) everyone enjoyed it :wink:

GAF - thanks for posting that it was G.Lucas. I knew he looked familiar but couldn't figure out who it was.

Enjoyed the show from my couch, so couldn't join y'all here. May have to go back and watch my recording. I got all misty eyed when the boys came on
tearsofjoy.gif

Thank you very much for the links, i was not able to watch it, i have not HBO, i live in "the rest of the world" for HBO.com, and CNN was a lame here.
Thank you!!!!!:hug:

I wish he had mentioned Palestine only or said Israeli AND Palestinian dream in the same sentence.

First of all, Beyonce wish she could sing like Bono Vertigo Tour's 'Miss Sarejevo'. Now that that's out of the way, the performance of 'Pride' was excellent but COBL sounded pre-taped apart from Bono's voice(?). :scratch:

During the bridge of 'Pride' I noticed a ballsy move by Bono when he said "It's also an Israeli dream and.......a Palestinian dream!" Mr. Obama's reaction seemed a little bemused. I'm an Obama supporter and a proud American, but I wish our presidents would stop taking sides with either country. :sad:

Excellent performance. I think Bono sounded good given: a.)the cold b.)the acoustics not being the best c.)the enormity of the moment and d.)the fact that he probably talked alot to the various performers/politicians backstage beforehand!.

If anything, he sang a little too high. My only complaint was you couldn't hear Adam until about half way through Pride.

I think U2 was the only act that had their own instrument players, so they didn't have everything keyed up right as far as the show production goes. I am glad they did not make them perform w/someone else or with a choir!

Am I the only one who thinks Larry had an especially good day?

After watching better versions than the stream I had, I correct what I said: it was an average+++ performance. It was good. It was great. And it was special.
Looking forward for tomorrow: Couleur 3 announced they would play the new single here in Heidiland as well ...

He shouldn't have put such emphasis on "Palestinian" as if he was making sure that people would understand that he was being naughty and controversial here. Should just have mentioned it in the same tone and sentence as Israeli.

cut bono some slack.........he was overexcited and not used to singing all out. he needs to get back into tour shape

In the history book in future we will reading:

"This pictures show when Obama first time was realy pissed off in public, the reason was an angry irish rockstar critizing something that was sensitive "
obamagb5.jpg

EDIT fine i listened again, it does sound standard. But I don't see the point, the album is dropped :shrug:

Personally, I thought Bon Jovi did amazing. So did Garth Brooks for that matter. Josh Groban was brilliant. And they're not really my favorite artists.

I agree. Bon Jovi sounded great. I didn't think he'd be able to pull off that song, but he and Betty sounded awesome together. I'm not a huge fan of Josh Groban's music, but he has one of best voices I've ever heard. And Garth Brooks has never sounded better. He gave Bono a run for his money in the 'having the time of his life' department.

The delay between "An Israeli dream!!" and "A Palestinian dream!!' seemed a bit awkward and uncomfortable :s Maybe not such a good idea Bono?

Anyway, otherwise pretty cool performance :)

During the bridge of 'Pride' I noticed a ballsy move by Bono when he said "It's also an Israeli dream and.......a Palestinian dream!" Mr. Obama's reaction seemed a little bemused. I'm an Obama supporter and a proud American, but I wish our presidents would stop taking sides with either country. :sad:

What's so ballsy about talking about the "dream" of both sides exactly ?

It just came off as Bono covering all angles instead of making a statement (which it would be had he left this bit as was, at the rehearsal). Props to people cheering when he said Palestinian dream though.

hi all, haven't been around here for a while, (long long time u2 fan, first saw them almost 30 years ago!)
anyway, spent most of the day between here and the bruce forums, and the bruce fans are just all so proud of bruce - so don't be too critical about bono and the boys, just be glad they are back and raring to go (and i'm so so thrilled that both bono & bruce will be on the road this year!)
BE

I reckon Bono should have mentioned only Palestine as he did during rehearsal. but he decided to be political correct with that "Isreali dream and... also Palestinian dream"

I'll be honest: they weren't the highlight for me. Bruce and the choir was astounding. MJB's voice was ON. Stevie, John Legend, James Taylor, all of them...way more moving imo. I think even Beyonce did better :shrug:

Let's not forget all the artists were singing in the same cold, right?

Back
Top Bottom