If You Could Remove One Song From U2's Albums.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WHY ONE IS A BAD SONG

- I hate it
- it's not a good song
- it's really overrated
- it is not interesting
- there is nothing good about it
- why do you even like it anyway
- THEY ALWAYS PLAY IT
- It's boring
- The whole 'we are one' or what have you thing was already cliche before 1991.
- U2 like it too much.
- You like it too much!
- oh god the melody is so grating

It's a world's general opinion, even including people who don't like U2: "One" is one of the best songs ever written by a band. Full stop.

Nobody remembers One here. And it is a 90s pop song so nobody should think it to be one of the best songs ever to begin with.

& the bottom line~

view.php

SCREW THIS SHTI

Last edited:
I'm not good at picking one. And in the case of Boy I like The Ocean slightly less than Shadows, but I think the album needs The Ocean more and would rock finishing on Electric Co.

Boy: Shadows and Tall Trees
October: Is That All?
War: Red Light
UF: 4th of July (Promenade flows so nicely into Bad)
JT: Trip Through Your Wires
RH studio: Freedom for My People...oh U2 songs? Hawkmoon 269
AB: One or TTYAATW. can't pick one.
Zooropa: Babyface (Daddy's a very close 2nd, Some Days 3rd)
Passengers: Elvis Ate My Eardrums
Pop: Miami
ATYCLB: Wild Honey, and it's tempting to drop the entire back 5.
HTDAAB: A Man and a Woman. And Yahwhiiiiiiiine.
U218: Window in the Skies. Should never have been released.

Yeah, I fail at the "one song" thing.

Aygo said:
^ No, you're wrong, don't even try to contradict.
It's a world's general opinion, even including people who don't like U2: "One" is one of the best songs ever written by a band. Full stop.

It certainly is the one U2 song that appears on "Top _____ songs of ____ " lists.

I don't listen to One that often anymore. I got back into it during the last tour when I heard Edge's new guitar intro - but on the whole it's ZooTV versions I listen to the most.

boy: sfb

October: Is That All?
War: Red Light
UF: 4th of July (Promenade flows so nicely into Bad)
JT: Trip Through Your Wires

RH: WLCTT should have been released on some bonus comedy disc.
AB: Gee, I dunno.
Zooropa: The First Time
Passengers: Elvis
ATYCLUB: Wild Honey, others.
HTDAAB: Vertigo.

I haven't made my mind about Pop.

Boy- Into The Heart

October - Is That All

War - Red Light

UF - None, but if I had too........4th of July

The Joshua Tree - Tripped Through Your Wires

Rattle and Hum - Love Rescue Me

Achtung Baby - Who's Gonna Ride

Zooropa - Some Days

Passengers - None, but if I had too Plot 180

Pop - If God Will Send

ATYCLB - Walk On

HTDAAB - Miracle Drug

Aygo said:
It is not by the grace of God that "One" appears several times on the lists of the best songs ever written by the media (lists that are usually based on people's opinion, not based on journalists' opinion).

Oh yeah, I am totally going to give a shit about what some people voted on an MTV poll.

You do realise that out of people who actually know anything about music, e.g. music historians, One does not even remotely register? It's an unremarkable song in that it does not introduce any new musical ideas WHATSOEVER, and it is an unimportant song in that it has made no lasting impression in the public consciousness. It doesn't hold records. It hasn't captured the popular imagination.

Worse than not playing "Streets", U2 should never remove "One" from the setlists (no matter how tired we are of this song). Casual fans and non-fans will leave the show with a bit of disappointment because the band didn't play the song. You can write this, lad.

Don't say stupid shit. You're assuming casual fans are completely vapid morons who all have a pre-programmed desired set that U2 MUST play. Come on. U2 have so many hits - more than enough to send people home happy without One.

And OF COURSE One should be dropped from the set. It needs to stay fresh! No song, no matter how good it is, should be played every single fucking night for 15 years. It becomes mechanical - it is played not with its heart and soul, but because it is robotically whored out to audience after audience. People very quickly begin to realise the band are just not feeling the song and the audience is even more letdown with such a poor and meaningless performance than they ever possibly would be with no performance.

At the end of the day, you're promoting the same mentality that many fans had leading up to ZooTV - that U2 HAD to play a certain classic. U2 didn't do it; for much of the tour, they ditched pre-UF classics. Prior to its omission from two whole legs of ZooTV, New Year's Day had almost not missed a gig since its December 1982 debut, and I can just hear the 1991 version of you saying "U2 should never remove New Year's Day from the setlists (no matter how tired we are of this song). Casual fans and non-fans will leave the show with a bit of disappointment because the band didn't play the song." Guess what? Bono said U2 don't need people like you, Aygo. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Axver said:

You do realise that out of people who actually know anything about music, e.g. music historians, One does not even remotely register? It's an unremarkable song in that it does not introduce any new musical ideas WHATSOEVER, and it is an unimportant song in that it has made no lasting impression in the public consciousness. It doesn't hold records. It hasn't captured the popular imagination.

At the end of the day, you're promoting the same mentality that many fans had leading up to ZooTV - that U2 HAD to play a certain classic. U2 didn't do it; for much of the tour, they ditched pre-UF classics. Prior to its omission from two whole legs of ZooTV, New Year's Day had almost not missed a gig since its December 1982 debut, and I can just hear the 1991 version of you saying "U2 should never remove New Year's Day from the setlists (no matter how tired we are of this song). Casual fans and non-fans will leave the show with a bit of disappointment because the band didn't play the song." Guess what? Bono said U2 don't need people like you, Aygo. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Paragraph 1 - completely wrong. One is referenced time and time again by many music historians and people who 'know music'. It completely captured the public's imagination, and has become almost inseperable from any discussion of U2's music in most mainstream music circles.

Paragraph 2 - NYD is not a great example, as Bono's quote (I don't think) wasn't directly referencing that song, and in addition NYD's hiatus was relatively short lived, it came back for Pop and every tour thereafter, in a big way. Poor analogy.

Axver said:

Oh yeah, I am totally going to give a shit about what some people voted on an MTV poll.

Don't say stupid shit. You're assuming casual fans are completely vapid morons who all have a pre-programmed desired set that U2 MUST play. Come on. U2 have so many hits - more than enough to send people home happy without One.

And OF COURSE One should be dropped from the set. It needs to stay fresh! No song, no matter how good it is, should be played every single fucking night for 15 years. It becomes mechanical - it is played not with its heart and soul, but because it is robotically whored out to audience after audience. People very quickly begin to realise the band are just not feeling the song and the audience is even more letdown with such a poor and meaningless performance than they ever possibly would be with no performance.

Yeah, right. Always thinking about yourself as the owner of the truth, no matter what the discussion is. I don't give a fuck for it. Almost everybody knows that "One" is a very recognized song by the fan community and by the general public, whether you like the song or not. It's not the fact that you and a handfull of diehards - tired to see it on the setlists - that are gonna change it.
Wait some more years and watch the artists and bands covering it at their shows. It'll happen because the song is worthy and because its meaning is more powerful than the opinion of an angry fan.

For the user The Sad Punk that wrote «
- The whole 'we are one' or what have you thing was already cliche before 1991.»:
Come on! At least read what Bono says. Red U2 By U2, mainly the excert about "One". "One" is not, never was, and it'll never be a song about "we are one"... that's why the following line says "but we're not the same" and then it says "we GET to carry each other" (and not "GOT to carry each other").

Boy: The Ocean
October: Is that all
War: The refugee
The Unforgettable Fire: 4th of July
The Joshua Tree: In God's Country
Rattle & Hum: Helter Skelter
Achtung Baby: Trying to throw ....
Zooropa: Dirty Day
Pop: If god ......
All That You Can't Leave Behind: New York
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: All because of you

FUCK THE REFUGEE.

Yeah, that's right.

Fuck The Refugee. Doesn't even deserve to be an unreleased, unearthed B-side. It's shit. It's worse than shit. Musically inexperienced and naive 80s U2 at its absolute worst. Fuck. The. Refugee.

Now, please continue the Axver / Aygo dust-up. This is more entertainment than we usually get.

leernp0.gif

gabrielvox said:

Paragraph 2 - NYD is not a great example, as Bono's quote (I don't think) wasn't directly referencing that song, and in addition NYD's hiatus was relatively short lived, it came back for Pop and every tour thereafter, in a big way. Poor analogy.

NYD hasn't been played every night - I'm sure Axver can break out some stats, but what I'll say is that I saw 6 Vertigo shows and never saw NYD and I'd trade it for 5 out of the 6 Ones I saw in a second, partly because it's a much better song and partly because it hasn't been played anywhere near every night so it isn't tired and flat.

Canadiens1160 said:
FUCK THE REFUGEE.

Yeah, that's right.

Fuck The Refugee. Doesn't even deserve to be an unreleased, unearthed B-side. It's shit. It's worse than shit. Musically inexperienced and naive 80s U2 at its absolute worst. Fuck. The. Refugee.

Red Light is so much worse. The Refugee is pretty bad though.

Canadiens1160 said:
FUCK THE REFUGEE.

Yeah, that's right.

I can think of at least a dozen U2 songs that are worse than The Refugee. Most of them are from this decade.

even All because of you is less of a cliche fest than The Refugee
and that's saying something

Salome said:
this is true. i haven't been bored enough to rank every U2 song since the mid-90s, but i'm sure if i ever did, i might just rank the refugee higher than that.

Boy: A Day Without Me
October: With a Shout
War: The Refugee
Unforgettable Fire: MLK
Joshua Tree: Trip Through Your Wires
Rattle and Hum (studio): God Part II
Achtung Baby: none
Zooropa: Dirty Day
Pop: Miami
ATYCLB: New York
HTDAAB: All Because of You

I'll have to listen to some of the albums and come back with my list.

Here's a couple of them already :

The Unforgettable Fire : 4th of July
The Joshua Tree : Bullet the Blue Sky (or I still haven't found what I'm looking for)
Achtung Baby : Love is Blindness (or Tryin' to throw your arms around the world)
HTDAAB : A man and a woman (or Love and peace or else)

Axver said:

Greatest post I have ever read on here.

Salome said:

WAR! WAAAAAR!

Her papa go to war
He gonna fight, but he don't know what for

WAR! WAAAAAR!

That is pretty terrible on paper.

KhanadaRhodes said:

this is true. i haven't been bored enough to rank every U2 song since the mid-90s, but i'm sure if i ever did, i might just rank the refugee higher than that.

God...I can't even start to imagine how long that would take me!

I have a free weekend coming up tho...:hmm:

Aardvark747 said:

God...I can't even start to imagine how long that would take me!

I have a free weekend coming up tho...:hmm:

I did it once.

But I lost the papers I wrote it on. :happy: What a waste of an afternoon that turned out to be.

Canadiens1160 said:
FUCK THE REFUGEE.

Yeah, that's right.

woah. Whats with all the intense Refugee hate on this forum? I love this song! The drumming and rhythm section is fantastic. I think its one of the better tracks on War. If you're going to hate on U2 at least focus somewhere useful like A Man and A Woman or Some Days Are Better Than Others.

Back
Top Bottom