I hate how St. Patrick's Day is celebrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dislike how we are supposed to celebrate St Patrick's Day. I'm not Irish (okay I have Irish heritage)... but the Irish wouldn't celebrate St George's Day or St Andrew's Day or St David's Day would they?!

It's all about the marketing and the money.

saint paddy's day sucks. i refuse to wear green cuz that's dumb. and i hate how jerks come up and pinch the hell outta you and say "oh you're not wearing green!!" or some dumb crap.

zoney! said:
I feel more and more disgust for this holiday every year. :|

I have the same problem with Easter and Christmas. I guess it is all part of the commercialized, feel-good, short attention span culture we live in.

Everyone else seems more excited about St. Patricks day than we do here.
The Americans at university asked us today were we dressing in green clothes or leprechaun suits. :shifty: They think we are going to have a massive street parade too.

I bought a shamrock plant. It is sitting next to my Christmas Cactus on my kitchen counter. I am amazed the cactus is still alive. Any survival tips for shamrocks would be appreciated.

St. Pat's day is like New Year's Eve...a celebration for amateurs. Us real drunks don't need a holiday to remind us to drink.

Last edited:
zonelistener said:
Oh, I forgot, I hate leprachauns too (This is another great thing Disney has done for American culture).

Many Americans think bag pipes are Irish.

I go to a "anti" St. Patrick's Day St. Patrick's Day Party. Guiness and Harp are served, we play traditional music (and U2 when I can get it on), and complain about the idiots wearing green derbys and are talking like leprechauns.

:up:

you spelled guinness wrong :wink:

any "irish pub" near times square that serves green beer and has some big italian guy bouncing at the door is one place that i won't be frequenting tommorow... or any day, for that matter. but there are of course plenty of fine pubs with real irish bartenders and guinness the way it's supposed to be served... darky ruby with a shamrock on top (guinness claims the beer is dark ruby, not black... sure looks black to me, but eh... what the hell... as long as it's not green).

so my friends and i will make our traditional trek on the ole long island rail road into manhattan... and we will get shit faced beyond belief... and we will go to a bar where most of the customers know that whiskey in the jar isn't just a metallica cover of a thin lizzy song... and we will tell our friend from belgrade to, as my friend brian put it, "where green and shut up." and a good time shall be had by all...

and then the next day, it's off to work... where a good day most certainly will not be had...:combust:

Well I asked my boss and tomorrow i'm wearing my Ireland Jersey, my Ireland Scarf and my Eircom oriental hat I got from the Ireland vs Cameroon game.

I love St. Pats day. I don't like green beer tho *gag* I do drink lots of Black Velvet tho ;)

I was an irish citizen for awhile so it reminds me of the great fun I had there

Hmm... now that I can actually drink for this holiday, I find myself unable to because I have an assignment due on Thursday, as well as class all day, and then work... Which just goes to show that my less than 1/16ths Irish blood that I allegedly may or may not have due to my family's sketchy history beyond the third generation back... its no match for my pseudo-English-mongrel work ethic. I would celebrate St. Patrick's day, but... I find it so hard to care about most of these holidays; I mean even the date for Christmas was just arbitrarily chosen by the Romans, but how many people know this? People hold things in their hearts for the one day they get an excuse to receive gifts or get pissed, they too often ignore whats important for the remainder of the year. While I like the holidays that come and go, as any person does, far too few people have any idea of their meaning, and said holidays are so shrowded in publicity and ignorance that it doesnt even require booze to make people forget what it is theyre celebrating. Most don't even know in the first place, and fewer still even care. I'm not against the holidays, Im just disenfranchaised with the general public such that I refuse to participate in propagating the misconceptions - I'll celebrate at home, by myself, in the same way I do everything; until my spirit is broken, apathy finally takes its final hold, and I fall into line.

Incidentally, I'm creating a new holiday, its called melodrama, and shall take place on each day that immediately preceeds a calender holiday. So huzzah. :wink: :dance:

St. Patrick's Day just passes me by. Kind of like Groundhog's Day.

I mean no disrespect by that sentiment, but that's just how it is here...we don't celebrate it.

I'm too embarrassed to tell my friends that my office is closed on St. Patrick's Day.

They're still recovering from the news that we're also closed for Bloom's Day. Everyone should work for eccentric Irish people.

I have some Irish ancestry on my mom's side of the family, but we were never big on celebrating St. Patrick's Day. I still don't get into it. I always wear green, but it's something normal like a sweater. I would never wear one of those stupid green hats. :madspit: Oh, and can we add Riverdance to the list of bastardized Irish culture? :barf:

I think I'll just use St. Patrick's Day as an excuse to watch my U2 at Slane Castle DVD again. :up:

Mullen-Girl said:
Well I asked my boss and tomorrow i'm wearing my Ireland Jersey, my Ireland Scarf and my Eircom oriental hat I got from the Ireland vs Cameroon game.

I was at that match with ya! :wave: I still have my Eircom oriental hat. :hmm:

Bono's shades said:
Oh, and can we add Riverdance to the list of bastardized Irish culture?

:up:

I remember a couple of years ago, when Riverdance/Lord of the Dance were really really popular, Dateline or one of those kind of shows did an interview with Michael Flatley. All I got from the interview was that Michael Flatley is an arrogant ass.

Justified said:

Bloom's Day? :scratch:

Ulysses by James Joyce is about the day (16th June, I think) in the life of a Dublin man called Leopold Bloom

Now James Joyce fans have renamed 16th June as Bloom's day. I think in Dublin they reinact the day of Leopold Bloom or something.

:wink: In your "i hate.." list you forgot Parades..one in every state! And of course, there's the one the Band hate, Irish Spring soap commercials!!
:eyebrow: But wait, they don't use those anymore-so will have to go with...Lucky charms cereal!!:wink: Just teasin'...Happy St. Patrick's Day!:wink:

This is the first year since I have been of legal drinking age that I have not celebrated St. Patricks Day. Instead, I wore my green and drank my whiskey on Sat. :wink:

I dont like people who cling to some long lost relative's tie and declare themselves Irish. A great grandparent or whatever does not make one Irish. Being born there does.
:|

Back
Top Bottom