I am GUTTED...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heartland Kid

The Fly
...as I am now jobless.

I cannot describe how absolutely gutted I am.

A few days ago I had just got a new job at a gym near me which was going to be PERFECT for me. It was exactly what I was hoping I could get into and I was so pleased at getting this job, I really was.

So I was due to start today at 2pm and got there 10 mins early and whatever to make a good impression. And the manager says 'Nick, can I just have a work before you get changed please?'. So he tells me that unlike he thought (that I was gonna be able to train up and take courses while I worked) I cannot start working with the club unless I already have the qualifications, which I don't. He didn't know what to say and he could tell I was completely gutted. Apparantly it wasn't his fault and he said he got told one thing and then he got told another.

It was gonna be such a good job. Loads of prospects, chances to go on courses, great set of staff to work with, free use of all the facilties, loads of other perks and I actually thought that my future looked really good. Now I have nothing. No job, no money and no prospects. How my life and future can change just like that within a 5 minute chat is unreal. Christmas coming up....great...

I already had a job working on the docks, but I quit it on friday so I could start this one. And now this has happened.

I had been out and bought myself some new clothes just this morning for the job too so I looked and felt smart. Spent about £100.

I know compared to some things, this is not the end of the world.....but this is the lowest point in my life I have ever been at.

Thank fuck I still have U2 and music.

no doubt about it, that sucks, especially at this time of year. hopefully something else will work out for you soon.

hang in there.

Heartland Kid said:
I already had a job working on the docks, but I quit it on friday so I could start this one. And now this has happened.

Unless you've burned your bridges or really cannot stand the job, ask for your old job back and explain what happened, if you've got a good relationship with your boss. You both might get a good chuckle over the situation then, and, at least, you'll still be employed.

Melon

Heartland Kid said:

Hm...I'm not sure how things work across the pond, but here if you needed to you could try some legal action because you depended on the new job and will now suffer lost wages. There's a legal term for it which I've forgotten even though it was on my business law exam two weeks ago :reject:

Re: Re: I am GUTTED...

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Hm...I'm not sure how things work across the pond, but here if you needed to you could try some legal action because you depended on the new job and will now suffer lost wages. There's a legal term for it which I've forgotten even though it was on my business law exam two weeks ago :reject:

Yea, is it damages? I'm gonna get some advice from my local CAB and then I'll see what happens.

Still gutted though. :(

Re: Re: Re: I am GUTTED...

Heartland Kid said:

Yea, is it damages? I'm gonna get some advice from my local CAB and then I'll see what happens.

Still gutted though. :(

OK, I'm not an attorney or anything of this sort, but this is from my business law text and applies to contracts (which don't necessarily have to be in writing)....

Although most offers are revocable, some can be made irrevocable.....

Detrimental Reliance
When the offeree justifiably relies on an offer to his or her detriment, the court may hold that detrimental reliance makes the offer irrevocable.

Basically, when someone changes his or her actions in reliance on an offer/contract/agreement so that when the offer/contract/agreement falls apart, the persons previous change in actions is detrimental, the courts may enforce the offer. In your case, you relied on the job agreement and changed your actions by quitting your original job and then when the offer was revoked, it was detrimental to you b/c now you have NO job and no wages.

The book says nothing in this section about damages b/c it's assuming no contract was ever completed. In this case, the courts may demand that the offer be enforced (you'd get to keep the new job). In order for damages to come into the picture, there needs to be a breach of contract. If you didn't actually sign any employment contract, you'd then have to prove that whatever agreement/promise was made about you working for the new company is in fact a legally enforceable contract. Then the company would either have to perform (employ you) or you'd be eligible for damages due to lost wages.

EDIT: this is all for the USA though so things may be different there, but I would think there would be some way to pursue legal action.

Last edited:
Oh, peach, I am so sorry!!!!!! :sad: :hug:

Go back to the docks and tell them what happened...see if they will let you back.

Email me if you need someone to vent to.

I'm sure you'll be able to find another job soon enough. From what you said you're good at preparing yourself for it and that's what employers are looking for, you're already ahead of the game in that regard.
Good Luck.

me have no job either join the club. At least you had one! Im in further education at the mo so there is restricted times i can work! eg weekends, at shopping centres and i cant even get a job. I wanna work in a office cos i wanna be a solicitor and that would be more helpful than scanning fruit but my age goes against me as well as the working times! grrr

I will work anyware for extra cash! hate being scint:madspit: :sad:

Back
Top Bottom