How to re-ignite excitement fo rU2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toscano

Refugee
After the last 2 mediocre U2-by-the-numbers albums fo rthe clearchannel masses, and yet another mid-tempo recycled song in WITS, I've been getting kinda burnot out on U2, fearing they may never actually do anything interesting or exciting again.

I have new hope today though. Why ? Listened to "Pump it up George" yesterday for th efirst time in a long time. That is an amazing boot of an amazing show, U2 as on fire as they'll ever be.

Seems to take not-so-perfect circumstances to bring out the bes tin them, in this case the George Harrison comments and the rain.

So, next album. Get away from the south of France. record in the winter in Dublin or somewhere else equally dismal. No extra curricular activities fo rBono, sit down and write some decent lyrics, we haven't had any since Pop.

Pump it up George: Greatest. Boot. Ever.

I agree that they need to get out of the south of France. You can tell a song was written there just by the vibe of it. Some of the stuff has been really good, but they need to move on and find a new locale for inspiration.

What we need is more tinkering with random approaches like Fast Cars. :combust:

i'm guessing that a man and a woman was written in the south of france.

I don't get it. Do all you guys that posted replies in this thread so far agree with the following?

toscano said:
After the last 2 mediocre U2-by-the-numbers albums fo rthe clearchannel masses, and yet another mid-tempo recycled song in WITS, I've been getting kinda burnot out on U2, fearing they may never actually do anything interesting or exciting again.

sit down and write some decent lyrics, we haven't had any since Pop.

I thought you people loved the last 2 albums and enjoyed defending them. :scratch:

Now you think U2 needs inspiration and fresh ideas??? :huh:

Did anyone ever think that writing songs is a little difficult if you don't have the "gift"?

Bono says he wakes up with a melody in his head and then the lyrics come later. I can't even imagine waking up with that in my head other then the days list of things to do.:huh:

they need to close themselves into a one house for a few months like they did on joshua tree and achtung. Not beeing superstitious.
just saying that some ideas come to my mind when i'm least expecting them an being in that one house gives them an opportunity to instantly work on those ideas

toscano said:

I have new hope today though. Why ? Listened to "Pump it up George" yesterday for th efirst time in a long time. That is an amazing boot of an amazing show, U2 as on fire as they'll ever be.

Seems to take not-so-perfect circumstances to bring out the bes tin them, in this case the George Harrison comments and the rain.

So, next album. Get away from the south of France. record in the winter in Dublin or somewhere else equally dismal. No extra curricular activities fo rBono, sit down and write some decent lyrics, we haven't had any since Pop.

Sounds about right.

Re: Re: How to re-ignite excitement fo rU2

Zootlesque said:
I don't get it. Do all you guys that posted replies in this thread so far agree with the following?

I thought you people loved the last 2 albums and enjoyed defending them. :scratch:

Dude, how many times do I have to say that I can like the last two albums but still want them to move on and do something new? :confused:

I didn't say anything in my post about agreeing with the opinion presented about the last two albums. But I did say--and have said many times--that I'd like to see a change from where they've been.

Re: Re: Re: How to re-ignite excitement fo rU2

Utoo said:
I didn't say anything in my post about agreeing with the opinion presented about the last two albums. But I did say--and have said many times--that I'd like to see a change from where they've been.

Fair enough! I was just surprised that you didn't comment on his post about the last 2 albums.

Zootlesque said:

I agree with some of it.

While I wouldn't say I'm burned out on U2 per se and I don't expect a massive reinvention like Rattle and Hum - AB, I do think it's time to get away from the classic U2 sound from Bomb, and partsially on ATYCLB. I also agree Bono has been the weakest link on last two albums.

That said, yes, I liked the last two albums. Is that not compatible with recognising it's time for something new?

Utoo said:

Dude, how many times do I have to say that I can like the last two albums but still want them to move on and do something new? :confused:

In fact, you did say "some of the stuff has been really good".

Guess you disappointed those just looking to watch a fight break out.

As for "the last 2 mediocre U2-by-the-numbers albums fo rthe clearchannel masses, and yet another mid-tempo recycled song in WITS", to each his own.
I find that making good pop music is nothing to be ashamed of, and I don't think the last two albums were quite as calculated and deliberate as some people feel. I think going back for references in your own sound is just as legitimate to do as going to outside music influences.

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to re-ignite excitement fo rU2

toscano said:

haha--true! ;)

Basically, I could have either argued points that I've grown tired of arguing over the last two years, or I could just comment on the portion I was interested in. I chose the latter!

ANYway.....back to the topic....:wink:

toscano said:

Well if you're talking about me, I can assure you that I'm not LOOKING for any fights, although they do get entertaining in this forum! :corn: It's just that when people don't disagree with anything in the original post, I assume that they agree with it entirely.

Zoot. and Utoo check your email and spend your time on something more positive.

:sexywink:

Last edited:
toscano said:

The past two U2 albums are some of the best U2 have ever made. POP was never finished and much of the songs were flawed. On POP it was more about getting the right sound and style as opposed to writing the best music.

Many people who are fans of Zooropa and POP are obviouslyl not fans of the latest albums because they sound so different. But the vast majority of the U2 fan base, including those who have supported the band since the beginning love the past couple of albums. In terms of the rest of the public, the band is more popular than they have ever been, especially with the critics.

Loud bone crushing guitars, high energy fast paced songs, or using the "studio" as an instrument, does not in of itself make great music. Slow, well written songs, with little in the way of instruments or distorted effects, can be just as emotional and powerful as anything else.

Bono needs to pass on the charity/political torch to some one he can trust and just go back to being in a band and yes there were other matters out of the bands control.
I’m surprised actually how well the last to albums turned out all things considered.

U2Man said:
i'm guessing that a man and a woman was written in the south of france.

Fantastic song! Based on the last two albums, I'd say stay in the South Of France.

Zootlesque said:

Well, I don't agree with one word of the nonsense Toscano spit out. I felt the last two albums really were inspired - they explored the U2 sound. Lyrically, the two albums are at opposite ends. One is about hope despite what seems like insurmountable despair, but the other is about that very despair - that loss, that feeling of being lost, or that hope is slipping.

"Zoorpa" and "Pop" were good albums - but lyrically both had oceans of weaknesses and both had even more problems with consistency. There'd be the brilliance of "Dirty Day" or even "Zooropa", coupled with "Babyface" or "Some Days...". There was the outsanding funk of "Mofo" coupled with the nonsense of "Playboy Mansion" or that outrageously bad lyrics of "If God Will Send His Angels" (even the title is bad).

If the recent work is too "mellow" for you, then that's YOUR problem. That's how YOU feel. I don't feel "Beautiful Day", "Elevation", "Vertigo", "All Because of You", "Fast Cars", "Love & Peace" or "Walk On" are mellow, pop songs. Each has a unique message and/or rocking or experimental music. I've never heard U2 put out a "Love & Peace" song before. I never heard anything like "Fast Cars" before from U2. Yet this is a band who needs "inspiration"? Who writes bad lyrics? Who is lazy?

It's times like these where you need to look at YOURSELF in the mirror, not U2. Maybe it's not U2. Maybe you have changed in your preferences and tastes. As such, U2 might not be the band for you any more. I've stopped enjoying tons of bands that I once adored. So be it - we change, the band changes, it's time to move on.

But be warned. I bet once you start listening to all those "new" bands out there that are so "inspiring", you'll hear TONS of U2 in their sounds. And you might just find yourself coming back to U2 anyway.

Pump It Up, George! is the greatest PopMart bootleg, IMO. But that's about the only thing I agree with U about.

doctorwho said:

Well, I don't agree with one word of the nonsense Toscano spit out. I felt the last two albums really were inspired - they explored the U2 sound. Lyrically, the two albums are at opposite ends. One is about hope despite what seems like insurmountable despair, but the other is about that very despair - that loss, that feeling of being lost, or that hope is slipping.

If the recent work is too "mellow" for you, then that's YOUR problem. That's how YOU feel. I don't feel "Beautiful Day", "Elevation", "Vertigo", "All Because of You", "Fast Cars", "Love & Peace" or "Walk On" are mellow, pop songs. Each has a unique message and/or rocking or experimental music. I've never heard U2 put out a "Love & Peace" song before. I never heard anything like "Fast Cars" before from U2. Yet this is a band who needs "inspiration"? Who writes bad lyrics? Who is lazy?

It's times like these where you need to look at YOURSELF in the mirror, not U2. Maybe it's not U2. Maybe you have changed in your preferences and tastes. As such, U2 might not be the band for you any more. I've stopped enjoying tons of bands that I once adored. So be it - we change, the band changes, it's time to move on.

But be warned. I bet once you start listening to all those "new" bands out there that are so "inspiring", you'll hear TONS of U2 in their sounds. And you might just find yourself coming back to U2 anyway.

Said, I totally agree with you!:up:

doctorwho said:

:up:

The majority of the backlash on this forum about the post-Pop albums is people expecting something more from U2. It's all they can give, really. I do feel that they've become adult contemporary, but who gives? Since when did that become a taboo genre? AC is great. It's the best current genre of music. Sit down and think about it. Really. You've got pop-punk, hip-hop, and rap dominating the market right now. I'd rather put on a Lite fm station than listen to current hits station. (Of course, I'd rather listen to a classic rock station more than anything... :wink: )

Face it, U2 is 40+ years old now, they aren't going to be making another "Electric Co." or another "The Fly."
If you get caught up in the nostalgia, you're going to be disappointed.

I have my own reasons for disliking HTDAAB. And the lyrics are mostly to blame (along with a few :yawn: songs that are most definitely the definition of mellow), but I can still listen to a few songs on the album that are absolutely perfect in other ways. OOTS, All Because of You, Love and Peace or Else... Window in the Skies...:combust:
The future of U2 excites me.

doctorwho said:

Well, I don't agree with one word of the nonsense Toscano spit

Makes the rest of your post irrelevant, so I won't waste any energy debating subjective opinions (are there any other kind ?) and straw-men arguments.

Another Pop vs. HTDAAB thread wasn't really the intention here. Oh well.

PlaTheGreat said:
The majority of the backlash on this forum about the post-Pop albums is people expecting something more from U2. It's all they can give, really. I do feel that they've become adult contemporary, but who gives? Since when did that become a taboo genre? AC is great.

Face it, U2 is 40+ years old now, they aren't going to be making another "Electric Co." or another "The Fly."
If you get caught up in the nostalgia, you're going to be disappointed.

I agree. Speaking for myself, I actually have NOTHING against the "sound" of the last 2 albums! I'm just not thrilled about the lyrics in general or the safe recycled guitar sounds. Doesn't have anything to do with how old they are. One could make a really mellow album like the last David Gilmour one and still have good lyrics and fresh new interesting sounds in there instead of same old same old.

PlaTheGreat said:
I have my own reasons for disliking HTDAAB. And the lyrics are mostly to blame

I agree. Bono's lyrics off late have been far from poetic.

I do agree with the point that U2 need to go out and do something different again.

Pump it up george is a very good bootleg indeed, as are the most POP bootlegs. I still feel that after POP they went way to conservative.

I agree. Speaking for myself, I actually have NOTHING against the "sound" of the last 2 albums! I'm just not thrilled about the lyrics in general or the safe recycled guitar sounds. Doesn't have anything to do with how old they are. One could make a really mellow album like the last David Gilmour one and still have good lyrics and fresh new interesting sounds in there instead of same old same old.
Exactly. I like ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but it's just becoming very similar again.

toscano said:

Makes the rest of your post irrelevant, so I won't waste any energy debating subjective opinions

Your opinion on this topic is just as "subjective" as any other persons.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to re-ignite excitement fo rU2

STING2 said:

Your opinion on this topic is just as "subjective" as any other persons.

I know, but as it's just turned into another Pop vs. HTDAAB thread and that's what most of that post was about, I'm choosing not to get involved in it. Wasn't the intent. some people got it, some didn't.

And when the post starts out with a personal attack on someone else's opinions, well...........

They need to go EMO. Well not seriously, but they do need to get away from what they've been doing if they want to appeal to a younger crowd and keep people excited over their work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom