Hot Press Lives and U2ey stuff galore!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
e.g this great article by Neil McCormack...

I was looking over an old school photograph the other day. Sixth year, Mount Temple, 1978. Blurred young faces staring earnestly out of the past in grainy black and white. This one here became skateboard and laser sailing champion of Ireland. This one here wound up in prison for rape. This guy here played football for Leeds United. And these two are in one of the most successful, critically-lauded and essential rock bands of our time.

Superstars aren't born, they arrive fully-formed, usually from America. I have laboured under this delusion for years. People often ask me who, on my travels as a journalist, is the most famous person I have ever met. The question throws me; I am not in the habit of consorting with superstars. Celebrities, perhaps, But is Carole King more famous than Paul Weller? Is Ray Davies more famous than Chrissie Hynde? I usually claim Bob Dylan, a certifiable 24-carat superstar, though I actually only stood next to him once, something not generally construed as a meeting.

The most famous people I have ever met were smiling up at me from the photograph.

I feel like sparks are about to suddenly erupt from my fingers every time I try to write about U2. I fear I could go down in a burst of electrical activity. This isn't just history, it's memory. This is my life. Look at the youthful Bono and Edge, Who knew what lay in store for them, for any of us, back then? Eleven years later they've been, along with schoolfriends Adam and Larry, on the cover of Time magazine. They're in the papers, they're in the charts, on TV and the silver screen. Sometimes, I walk into a stranger's room to be confronted by their picture, pinned to a wall. I always have to stop myself asking, "How do you know them?". Everybody knows them.

The last time I saw U2 live they were onstage at Wembley and I was standing so close it might as well have been the old school gymnasium. They were extraordinary at Wembley but they were extraordinary at the first performance in the gym, back in '76, too. It seems to me they have always been extraordinary, ever when, realistically, they must have been, well, shit. That gig was my first live rock'n'roll and it changed my life. I told Bono so some years later and he could only agree. It changed his life too.

The gap between Wembley Stadium and Mount Temple Gym is, of course, immeasurable. The distance between the same four individuals in Feedback in 1976 and U2 in 1987 is beyond comprehension. What is the same is the spark. "We built ourselves around that spark," said Bono in 1980. It still fires inside them today, spitting white heat at the heart of the matter, connecting them, in some indefinable way, with rock'n'roll greatness. You could feel it, recognise it, believe in it long before it actually exploded the group to life. Many people did. You can feel it, recognise it, believe in it now that the group have attained genuine, irresistible superstar status. Many more people do.

The spark remains constant. Everything else changes. Try listening to U2's 1980 debut album "Boy" back to back with 1988's "Rattle And Hum". Could this be the same group? One determinedly modern, electric combo with big, silvery shards of guitar and stretched, youthful voices, the other a rootsy, rocksy, folksy band with a rough-hewn sound and a growling powerhouse of a vocalist. Over the years the gradual changes can seem almost imperceptible. This is evolution, not revolution. But over seven albums in eight years U2 have redefined and almost completely reinvented themselves.

U2 records are stacked up by my stereo. Twenty-seven of them, including the singles. I've been spinning them all, reminding myself of forgotten pleasures, sometimes opening my eyes to unnoticed weaknesses, trying to see how things look as the dust settles on the rattle and hum. Most of all, catching up on old friends.

I was of the feeling it was out of control, I had a crazy notion it was out of control... U2's debut single, "Out Of Control", remains an appropriate anthem with which to have unleashed the group on the world. The song's central image is of an adolescent realising, as Bono has said, "that the two most important decisions in your life have nothing to do with you: being born and dying." And with that vision of personal anarchy, U2 were fired forward into the unknown. The song became, for a time, the mainstay of their live set, opening and closing their gigs, so it is ironic to recall that prior to the release of the record there was a great deal of uncertainty about which of the three songs recorded should feature on the A-side, the matter eventually being settled by a competition on the Dave Fanning Rock Show. At the time "Stories For Boys" was a favoured contender, a poppier and more structured song that, in retrospect, lacks the life-and-death dimension that gives "Out Of Control" its historic perspective.

------------------
Slane/Lon tour pics

The various Hot Press articles from Bill Graham over the years are well worth reading. He may have been biased (in favour), but seemed to have a really good grip on this band - in a way that puts most reviewers to shame.

These are great!
smile.gif

------------------
And in our world of plenty
We can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world
At Christmas time

This is definitely great. Besides the Hot Press books The U2 File and Three Chords and Truth I haven?t had the opportunity to get my hands on the Hot Press magazine, as it can?t be found here. I signed in...the only problem is finding some free time to read all that stuff...
rolleyes.gif

Btw, this little piece below was written by Bono to Hot Press in 1980, really cool.

==================
"Where were you last night?" asked the ol' man. "We played a concert in Trinity College." "How did it go?" "Well," I said, '"we had a bit of trouble from a few 16 year olds in the audience." "You weren't very polite, yourself at sixteen!" he replied.

Yeh, I know at sixteen boys turn into men and get confused, I do remember. I remember I felt bullied by the need to succeed, to find a good job, and a pretty girl. Forming U2 was a way out - it was also a way in to expressing how I felt constructively, as opposed to banging my own or somebody else's head off a wall. The fact that neither Bono, Adam, Larry or the Edge could play or sing was but an obstacle to overcome. (It hadn't bothered Lou Reed, Bob Dylan or Bob Geldof). Just do it!

Dublin in 1977 was not as receptive to a new rock group with new rules as was London Town - the old story of Dublin living in the shadow, failing to make its own mind up. Even the music scene (man!) was loathe to jump up and down to what must have seemed like their little brothers. No, the group that sprayed "The Hype" on their Mount Temple comprehensive school-bags and shouted 1,2,3,4 at the Celebrity Club, were to say the least, a threat to one's cool. How dare they enjoy themselves.

A manager was needed before we learnt our next lesson. Paul McGuinness was his name and he wasn't very good at football! He told us not to over-expose ourselves while we were still underdeveloped and not to rely on gigging and our status in Dublin (which wasn't very high at the time). He also arranged for Barry Devlin to produce our first demo and organised record company interest. Yes he's quite useful around the house! (in between sueing various non entities).

This was a foundation - it was up to the music to build the rest. Musically we were trying to combine the energy of the new wave with an added sensitivity and emotion. For this reason I feel we have more in common with, say, the Who than the Pistols or the Clash.

Progressing, though, is the name of the game and if you don't know how, then find someone who does. Myself and bass player Adam in particular sought as much advice as we could from both established musicians and music "biz" people. Stephen Rapid of Radiators fame was a great help, as were the three Bills, Bill Graham (Hot Press), Bil Keating (RTE) and Bill McGrath (Stagalee+ Atrix). Abroad, people like Johnnie Fingers, the Rats, the Lizzies were also glad to lend a hand. And we pushed a little too far: there was one incident where Adam got Phil Lynott out of his bed to answer a few questions about the universe. Philip was helpful but nobody's at their best at 7.30 am.! The point was and is "make allies before you make enemies".

Originality is the keyword. In terms of presentation, on stage, I try to catch people's attention, like an actor I try to get across the atmosphere of the words and the setting. Sometimes I fail, sometimes people don't want to know, sometimes I don't even know myself.

In the end it's up to you the audience to decide for yourselves, is it relevant or irrelevant, can you see the potential in U2 or not? So far you have decided yes and put our first record in the charts, "U2 three". Thank you.

Our debut tour in England was an incredible success; things look good for U2 and I feel confident that our February concert tour of all the major towns in Ireland will be successful too as, we also release our second single here then.

In March we undertake a second English tour in time for our first record release over there. Yes, it's an important time for me.

It's also time for tea! "What are you doing?" asks my ol' man. "I'm writing a piece for the Hot Press". "The who?", "A music paper". "How's it going?" he continued. "Well", I replied. "I had a bit of trouble ..."

Bono U2

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 12-23-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom