Has U2 said anything re Katrina?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfeden

Refugee
calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decembe
guys..
I've looked... here, u2.com, all over. Many artists and celebs around the world have come forth with statements of sympathy or concern regarding the hurricane.. I haven't seen or found anything from our lads from Dublin...
anyone out there seen or heard anything?

I heard Bono gave a joint press conference with the Director of Fema earlier today. :|

Look they'll be on tour again in a few days. I'm sure Bono will say something then and probably every few days for the next four months.:huh:

I thought the rumor was they were going to open up their Toronto rehearsals and donate the gate. Similar to what they did in Hershey, PA in 1992.

wolfeden said:
hopefully this will turn out to be more than rumor!

Why? Must they respond to every bad thing that happens?
If they do, Bono will just be accused of trying to get his face in the paper once again. And if they don't...? Well, if they don't then even their fans will be wondering why not. It's ridiculous.

like i said in the other thread about this subject, i don't need a press release from the band to know that they care. i already know they care.

david said:
like i said in the other thread about this subject, i don't need a press release from the band to know that they care. i already know they care.
Yeah and more to the point of what this wise man says!
Wo cares if they care, just care

I like to see U2 comment on things like this. Bono can be very eloquent when speaking from his heart. Also, they usually dedicate a song or something...that always makes me feel better in a way.

I must agree with those who question why Bono needs to care about this issue.

He is not some deliverer from evil - Bono is a simple man. He shouldn't be forced to take up everyone's burden in this world.

This isn't insensitive to the people of New Orleans' plight, but I am tired of making Bono out to be the savior of the world.

What is important is what YOU AND I are doing to make this world a better place.

Bono is doing his part - are you?

And one thing to remember: in 3-4 years from now the people of New Orleans will be in new homes and new jobs while the people of Africa will still be caught in structural poverty that they can't get out of and with no Red Cross to adequately help them.

They will continue to suffer and die unnecessarily.

Who should Bono concentrate caring about?

I think the answer is obvious.

:yes:

Like David says, you really don't have to get a press release to know that the band cares about this diaster. I'm sure they do. But if they publicize everything, people are going to cry that they're playing the PR card.

Just like Biff said-- you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. So what's it going to be? There's no "graceful" way in it all really. There's going to be people who will praise and also those who'll criticize in your actions.

And Jamila-- as much as a diaster there is in Africa... don't you agree, that we should take care of our own first? I'm just saying. :shrug:

But as for me, it doesn't matter whether or not I see Bono or the band on the front page or anything like that. I know they care. Case closed on that subject in my book.

Sevikins said:
Like David says, you really don't have to get a press release to know that the band cares about this diaster. I'm sure they do. But if they publicize everything, people are going to cry that they're playing the PR card.

:up:

Jamila said:
I must agree with those who question why Bono needs to care about this issue.

He is not some deliverer from evil - Bono is a simple man. He shouldn't be forced to take up everyone's burden in this world.

This isn't insensitive to the people of New Orleans' plight, but I am tired of making Bono out to be the savior of the world.

What is important is what YOU AND I are doing to make this world a better place.

Bono is doing his part - are you?

And one thing to remember: in 3-4 years from now the people of New Orleans will be in new homes and new jobs while the people of Africa will still be caught in structural poverty that they can't get out of and with no Red Cross to adequately help them.

They will continue to suffer and die unnecessarily.

Who should Bono concentrate caring about?

I think the answer is obvious.

:yes:

Right on!! :up:

I agree with Jamila, Africa is more important, just because thousands died, and are now homeless, everyone cares. but when thousands die everyday, and noone has homes, people don't care as much.

Why even bother comparing the two? I don't believe there is any point to it. A tragedy is a tragedy, a crisis is a crisis and yes, we all know that the majority of America is focused on America only.

This has nothing to do with Africa, and U2 has nothing to do with Hurricane Katrina. A statement from U2 isn't going to make it all better.

I don't think U2 has to issue any formal statement regarding this tragedy or change any of their show for this, however, if any of you think that Bono won't mention this at the upcoming shows you're blinded by your own cynicism.

I don't know if you were speaking directly to me or not, Ramblin Rose, but no, I fully expect Bono would make at least one mention of it at the upcoming shows. I'd be really surprised and a little disappointed if he didn't.

Music, or a concert, is the appropriate venue for U2 to make this kind of comment/statement.

corianderstem said:
I don't know if you were speaking directly to me or not, Ramblin Rose, but no, I fully expect Bono would make at least one mention of it at the upcoming shows. I'd be really surprised and a little disappointed if he didn't.

Music, or a concert, is the appropriate venue for U2 to make this kind of comment/statement.

No I wasn't directing this at you or anyone in particular. I was directing it at anyone who thinks that U2 shouldn't or won't bring this up at the shows here in the U.S.

I don't think they should put out any kind of statement. That would just be playing the PR card. I expect they will mention Katrina in their shows here, probably by dedicating a song to the victims.

Back
Top Bottom