"Hang out" with U2 in Los Angeles 3/9/09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's amazing that they can discern who's who.

Sometimes it's how the person looks (baseball cap, etc) and sometimes I think it's the item that they are trying to have signed. If it's a pick guard, guitar or drum head, 95% of the time it's a dealer. Also the dealers stock up on the $3.99 used vinyl LPs covering the 1980-87 years. That's not to say that if you are trying to have one of these done, that you're a dealer, but it goes more to the fact that they aren't willing to pay $25-30 for the latest LPs on vinyl like a fan would. The dealers also like to get photos signed, usually bigger than 8 x 10 and frequently the photos are only of Bono, because they know he's the best signer in the band and can easily sell on his own. They know that Larry almost never signs and that Adam is iffy, so they like to really just focus on Bono and Edge.

I brought my No Line LP last night and initially Adam was skipping over it, but then he looked me in the eyes and I guess I passed the test where he concluded correctly that I was a fan. Edge and Bono readily signed it. I was also able to have Bono sign my U2 & I Anton Corbijn book, which when he saw it, he reached right for it. He is smart enough to know that a dealer would not buy a $125 book to have signed.

I noticed that the 10 or so dealers that I recognized in the crowd weren't interested in getting a photo with Larry. I would have loved to have had Larry sign, but was happy to get a photo with him after blowing my chance back in 2001 when he actually signed for me, but I didn't ask for a photo. Last night he actually posed twice for me, after the first one did not come out.

Not as bad as the conversation that happened between two ladies on either side of me about the softness of Larry's hands and how wonderful it was to touch Larry's back. ;) I felt like I was at a tweener conference about "Twilight."

Having been one of those ladies, I would like to, once again, assert that Larry's hands were surprisingly soft and I feel compelled to add that his grasp was extraordinarily gentle..... :drool:

Thought you'd like to know that too. :)

^:lol: :hug:

wow....my feet hurt from standing so long!

I think pretty much my story was summed up in every other story posted haha. I don't have much of a story this time, sadly, besides the fact that Bono signed my picture :D I have to say, though...I was expecting a lot less people and a lot more time to talk/shake hands with the band, which makes me sad. I really wanted to ask Bono if he remembered me. And I'm almost 99% sure he didn't look at the picture while he was signing it, as he was in a rush to leave. :shrug: But I'm grateful for what I got, fo sho!

I was definitely surprised to see Larry :giggle: When he shook my hand I was like 'Sorry, I'm really cold!' and he looked at me and smiled and said something along the lines of 'I knowww' or 'Thats for sure!' :)

Oh, and did anybody else kinda notice that Bono seemed a little drunk? He just wasn't his smiley, warm self......maybe it's just me. Who knows what he was doing in the Avalon! :giggle:

It was soooooo nice to meet all of you and I hope we can keep in touch, for those of you who rarely post. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Maddy

Having been one of those ladies, I would like to, once again, assert that Larry's hands were surprisingly soft and I feel compelled to add that his grasp was extraordinarily gentle..... :drool:

Thought you'd like to know that too. :)

All right, I admit it, I'm secretly jealous. :)

I think pretty much my story was summed up in every other story posted haha. I don't have much of a story this time, sadly, besides the fact that Bono signed my picture :D I have to say, though...I was expecting a lot less people and a lot more time to talk/shake hands with the band, which makes me sad. I really wanted to ask Bono if he remembered me. And I'm almost 99% sure he didn't look at the picture while he was signing it, as he was in a rush to leave. :shrug: But I'm grateful for what I got, fo sho!

I was definitely surprised to see Larry :giggle: When he shook my hand I was like 'Sorry, I'm really cold!' and he looked at me and smiled and said something along the lines of 'I knowww' or 'Thats for sure!' :)

Oh, and did anybody else kinda notice that Bono seemed a little drunk? He just wasn't his smiley, warm self......maybe it's just me. Who knows what he was doing in the Avalon! :giggle:

It was soooooo nice to meet all of you and I hope we can keep in touch, for those of you who rarely post. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Maddy

Great picture Maddy...you look so purdy too!

I am new to interference, yet a fan since the EARLY 80's (I'm currently Bono's age). Live in Phoenix, and I was going to go, going to go, going to go,. But I knew my students needed me as they had a huge math test today, ugh! My spring break is NEXT week. Met Bono in 2005 in Philly, gave hime an Elvis scarf, wonder if he has it in that office of his. DAMN I've waited almost 8 years now to have my U2ROCKS Arizona plate signed, DAMN!!! Went to LA in October for the BB KING thing, and those papparatizi type dudes ruined it for the only 10 or so of us there. DAMN> So glad for all of you. Be careful when ,you come to Phoenix, it's gonna be MY TOWN now that I have to wait over 6 LONG months, I'm a broke school teacher.:wave:

Everyone already pretty much summed up how things went...and I got to hug and kiss Bono, Adam made me blush a bit, Larry surprised me as well by hanging out so long so we could get pictures with him and Edge is just...well, Edge is awesome. After being a fan for so long, it was a dream come true to meet them yesterday for the first time and to be surrounded by so many really awesome fans as well. It's always great to meet people who are as excited as you are. I'm fairly certain that it hasn't really hit me that I met U2 yesterday. It feels like a really crazy dream that lots of other people were in on too. Pinch me?

Without further ado...

3344840101_be778f7e52.jpg

3344840433_920d2a5012.jpg

3344840695_d80a081997.jpg

3345674580_d31c938611.jpg

3344840935_f2bb9b28e4.jpg

3345674838_5f93f99342.jpg

Wow, Maddy! How long has it been since I've seen a picture of you! Must have been the Hawaii show. You look so lovely ... you're growing up so fast! :)

/officially an old person

Maddy

oooooooooooooh maddy i am so happy for u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I :heart: ur AVI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U RAWK.. and are so lucky!

i love the pic of you and larry its so great!

My problem is that I look like a scruffy autograph hound/LP dealer. Honestly, it seems to me, that to get close to the band, it really helps to be female... :)

Sometimes it's how the person looks (baseball cap, etc) and sometimes I think it's the item that they are trying to have signed. If it's a pick guard, guitar or drum head, 95% of the time it's a dealer. Also the dealers stock up on the $3.99 used vinyl LPs covering the 1980-87 years. That's not to say that if you are trying to have one of these done, that you're a dealer, but it goes more to the fact that they aren't willing to pay $25-30 for the latest LPs on vinyl like a fan would. The dealers also like to get photos signed, usually bigger than 8 x 10 and frequently the photos are only of Bono, because they know he's the best signer in the band and can easily sell on his own. They know that Larry almost never signs and that Adam is iffy, so they like to really just focus on Bono and Edge.

I brought my No Line LP last night and initially Adam was skipping over it, but then he looked me in the eyes and I guess I passed the test where he concluded correctly that I was a fan. Edge and Bono readily signed it. I was also able to have Bono sign my U2 & I Anton Corbijn book, which when he saw it, he reached right for it. He is smart enough to know that a dealer would not buy a $125 book to have signed.

I noticed that the 10 or so dealers that I recognized in the crowd weren't interested in getting a photo with Larry. I would have loved to have had Larry sign, but was happy to get a photo with him after blowing my chance back in 2001 when he actually signed for me, but I didn't ask for a photo. Last night he actually posed twice for me, after the first one did not come out.

Hollywood

Halup's observations are dead on...even down to the lp years as those are the cheap ones at used record stores haha..

Monday was quite a day- I flew to/ from the event (last minute decision to go for it) hoping for the best and it worked out from the start. Billie Joe Armstrong and Eric Kretz (Stone Temple Pilots) were both on my flight strangely enough. I took a picture with both and had BJ sign my U218 cd which has his pic in it. I asked him if he was going to the U2 event and he did not know about it- he said - "those f****** I did't know" or something like that haha...he was very nice and it was completely random seeing him/ them...

Thanks to those posting the intel/ info.- i.e. Chels82 etc.- great info/ help/ updates which were great...

I missed the Edge at the hotel but made up for it later...the crowd at Capitol was huge- and the mood wasn't lightened by Adam-12's presence barking at the crowd (mostly 2 of them- the others were very nice)... Congrats to those who got into the show- sounds awesome seeing them up close- thanks for the review(s)... I missed getting a pic with Larry as I was in a complete panic to catch my return flight so after Adam, Edge, and Bono signed at the Avalon after their after-party I fled like a madman.

Adam kept my blue sharpie at the hotel prior to Capitol- a minor casualty. At the Avalon Bono came over to us and said he had "work" to do but would come out after.

It was nice seeing friends from prior events. Some of the folks are pretty funny (especially after delirium sets in from the long wait and weather/ day to night changes). The fan imitating the female autograph dealer was very entertaining.

Here are some pics-

019.jpg
my horizon flying in from the SF Bay Area

035.jpg
Adam coming out to greet fans...

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

040.jpg
local LA dealer holding a disguised pickguard

039.jpg
paparazzi chasing Ashley Olsen

045.jpg
Mr. Hewson

046.jpg

057.jpg

064.jpg
Larry post Capitol

070.jpg
here is what I got signed

congrats to those who got their hugs, pics, etc. with their heroes! I missed a shot with Larry in an airport panic only to find out my return flight was delayed.. C'est la vie!....

Great pics bret & Outsider, though only one of yours shows up on the forum for me. The good side :wink: I copied/pasted the link from the other (right click/properties) and saw the other side.

I think I see the back of my head in that Larry pic :happy:

Carlos - none of your pics show up for me :(

Back
Top Bottom