Creationism isn't Right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DublinGuy said:

How is taking away a religious influence on a sense of morality problematic? A capacity for empathy is far more important than the religious influence of morality. Moral values seem to make most sense when derived from non-moral values such as human welfare, rather than from a religious code.

We've seen that movie and it ends in misery. The welfare of the whole eventually becomes more important than the welfare of the individual.
If there is no transcendent source of morality than good and evil become subjective opinions instead of objective truths.

Coarse some reject even the language of good and evil.

2861U2 said:

Not much to say, I simply disagree with you. I think it is absolutely impossible for an athiest or anyone else to prove that a God doesnt exist. I dont care how great our science and research is, it is simply impossible to prove there isnt a God. Likewise, it is impossible to prove that there is a God.

I didn't say that atheists can categorically disprove the existence of God. That's the old problem of proving a negative. I said that the onus is on the theist to try to prove God's existence. I can say that I think there are elephants playing 'Mofo' on Mars but you have no need to take me seriously until I provide some evidence for my claim. It's up to me to prove it, not up to you to disprove it.

INDY500 said:

We've seen that movie and it ends in misery. The welfare of the whole eventually becomes more important than the welfare of the individual.
If there is no transcendent source of morality than good and evil become subjective opinions instead of objective truths.

and what movie was that?

besides, good and evil have always, always, always been subject to culture and history.

INDY500 said:

Your black and white world must be easy...

Snowlock said:

Thank you that's all I've been saying. Science is not the be all and end all of all answers. They only can answer questions as we know them today (or know them relative to any time period). As such, there is room for other views.

But other views should not be presented as science.

If you are teaching medicine, i. e. how to treat an infection.

answer:
- antibiotics

other views:
- acupuncture
- chanting
- herb tea

Snowlock said:

Wow, with three sentences you solve three mysteries that have been perplexing scientists for over 100 years. How about the recipe for Greek Fire and how the Hanging Gardens were built?
I am not a cosmologist but since pulsars are types of neutron stars and neutron stars form from intense gravitational forces when a lot of stellar matter is compressed in a small space by gravity it is reasonable to say that Pulsars can exist because of gravity (a different question than how they work and how one can go about mathematically describing the observed features) but I know a bit about fossils and evolutionary biology. The demise of the Dinosaurs was the result of a mass extinction event, so in strata earlier than the Cretaceous we don't find Dinosaurs (except for the Birds which have been scientifically proven to be dinosaurs on the basis of morphology, the discovery of transitional forms including the feathered dinosaurs from China and recently the protein analysis from a T-Rex fossil (a case of exceptional preservation). The causes of mass extinctions are usually multi-factorial but things such as climate change and studies of stability in complex systems can factor into it. The fact that we have had multiple mass extinctions allows us to look into what causes the die off of whole taxa in large numbers. We can say that the dinosaurs died out and that birds are dinosaurs.

DublinGuy said:

I didn't say that atheists can categorically disprove the existence of God. That's the old problem of proving a negative. I said that the onus is on the theist to try to prove God's existence. I can say that I think there are elephants playing 'Mofo' on Mars but you have no need to take me seriously until I provide some evidence for my claim. It's up to me to prove it, not up to you to disprove it.

You're right. I get the feeling too many people here are waiting for Christianity to be proven scientifically, and it isnt going to happen. If there isnt any tangible proof that God created the universe, fair enough, but that doesnt mean He didnt. Remember, Christianity is a religion, folks. It is not going to ever meet scientific standards or be 100% accepted. Neither I nor Snowlock nor Indy can find a report proving that there is a God, and some people here seem to be expecting one. Show me all the science crap you want, I believe God created the world in 6. I think it is kind of sad that some here are so desperate to disprove something that is already unable to be proven. Move along.

INDY500 said:

And heaven forbid some who disavow God take individualism and the rights and liberties of concious beings as a rational way to approach moral dilemmas (which are inherently subjective).

I think it is kind of sad that some here are so desperate to disprove something that is already unable to be proven. Move along.
I can disprove literal creationism, the Earth is billions of years old and it can be dated by measuring the ratios of parent to daughter isotopes from radioactive decay. In rocks dated at different ages using geochronology there are different types of fossils in them and we don't observe a period when every possible species of life existed on the same planet (in some cases they simply couldn't have lived together due to different temperatures and atmospheric conditions.

2861U2 said:

You're right. I get the feeling too many people here are waiting for Christianity to be proven scientifically, and it isnt going to happen. If there isnt any tangible proof that God created the universe, fair enough, but that doesnt mean He didnt. Remember, Christianity is a religion, folks. It is not going to ever meet scientific standards or be 100% accepted. Neither I nor Snowlock nor Indy can find a report proving that there is a God, and some people here seem to be expecting one. Show me all the science crap you want, I believe God created the world in 6. I think it is kind of sad that some here are so desperate to disprove something that is already unable to be proven. Move along.

i'm waiting for Hinduism to be proven scientifically.

INDY500 said:

Godless states.

Communism, Nazism and Vermontism.

firstly, as a New Englander, i can attest to the fact that Vermont is a great state. if you get hurt, you want to be in VT. much better health care.

oh, and they started treating gay people like people before anyone else in the US. so they've got that as well.

as for the others ... don't you see the difference between having a secular government that never interferes with the religion of the governed versus the direct eradication of religion by the state? it's that laissez-faire thing.

believe me. you want secularism just as much as i do. even if you don't know it yet.

2861U2 said:

I'm not desperate to prove you wrong. I really can't believe that you think "God created the world in 6" though. I've never met anyone who believed this. You may have seen this already but Ricky Gervais highlights the absurdity of the view in my opinion. If you are a creationist it's unlikely that you'll find it particularly funny though!

A_Wanderer said:
I can disprove literal creationism, the Earth is billions of years old and it can be dated by measuring the ratios of parent to daughter isotopes from radioactive decay. In rocks dated at different ages using geochronology there are different types of fossils in them and we don't observe a period when every possible species of life existed on the same planet (in some cases they simply couldn't have lived together due to different temperatures and atmospheric conditions.

I guess God sure goofed when he put those 2 rocks next to each other. Silly God, what a jokester.

2861U2 said:

I guess God sure goofed when he put those 2 rocks next to each other. Silly God, what a jokester.

So it's not just your political views, your whole life is based on things you can't back up, explain or make sense of...

:shocked:

A_Wanderer said:

Does it ever occur to you (any of you) that sometimes maybe God does stuff that dont follow the laws of science? Different types of life as you mention may have existed at the same type. If so, I'm sure God provided for them and made it possible, because He is God and doesnt have regard for mere man's science. I believe God is constantly testing us and our faith in Him, and maybe billions of years ago he thought, "Hmm, I'll do something that scientists billions of years later will question (like your notion of different species being incapatible), and that will show me who really believes in me."

BonoVoxSupastar said:

So it's not just your political views, your whole life is based on things you can't back up, explain or make sense of...

:shocked:

You're right. I cannot make sense of or explain God and what He does sometimes. For the millionth time, creationism and the existence of a God cannot be proven, at least not until Jesus returns.

2861U2 said:

You're right. I cannot make sense of or explain God and what He does sometimes. For the millionth time, creationism and the existence of a God cannot be proven, at least not until Jesus returns.

you're right.

keep it out of my science classes.

that's all that anybody's asking. believe whatever you want. don't force it on anybody else.

but don't get mad if you engage in discussion and people take you to task on assertions that aren't well substantiated.

2861U2 said:

Does it ever occur to you (any of you) that sometimes maybe God does stuff that dont follow the laws of science? Different types of life as you mention may have existed at the same type. If so, I'm sure God provided for them and made it possible, because He is God and doesnt have regard for mere man's science. I believe God is constantly testing us and our faith in Him, and maybe billions of years ago he thought, "Hmm, I'll do something that scientists billions of years later will question (like your notion of different species being incapatible), and that will show me who really believes in me."

So he just bummed around for billions of years and then thought, sure why don't I create some a funny little species called homo sapiens? And what big thrill would he get out of testing us to see who believes in him? Surely if God provided us with reason he would value individuals who employ their Reason in reaching the conclusion that God doeas not exist over those who who do not use Reason but instead blindly have faith in Him? There are just too many contradictions I'm afraid.

2861U2 said:

But things like rudist reefs make so much more sense in the context of a dynamic Earth, we don't need to understand the mind of some incomprehensible being to interperate it as we can see the processes happening today. Materialism / naturalism has some great advantages in how we look at the world and doens't diminish the importance of it, and neither is is mutually exclusive to faith.

2861U2 said:

I'm not asking you to explain God, I'm asking you to explain the evidence we have against the world being created in 6 days. Just start with the dinosaurs and we'll go from there.

I'm serious, I want you for once to back something up.

How do we know that God didn't gather matter from other planets and slap it together to create earth over a matter of 6000 years ( a day is 1000 years to God).

dbs

diamond said:
How do we know that God didn't gather matter from other planets and slap it together to create earth over a matter of 6000 years ( a day is 1000 years to God).

dbs
Because 1000 years is nothing in a geological sense and the earliest known minerals on Earth (from right here in Australia) are 4,400,000,000 years old. Also the bulk composition of the Earth is closer to the that of chondritic meteorites in the solar system than the surfaces of other planets, formation by accretion of this material during the early days of the solar system makes more sense than it being transported from other already formed planets to make Earth.

A_Wanderer said:
Because 1000 years is nothing in a geological sense and the earliest known minerals on Earth (from right here in Australia) are 4,400,000,000 years old. Also the bulk composition of the Earth is closer to the that of chondritic meteorites in the solar system than the surfaces of other planets, formation by accretion of this material during the early days of the solar system makes more sense than it being transported from other already formed planets to make Earth.

And it's God's universe and he could assemble it any way He saw fit, much to the chagrin of archaeologists, atheists and geologists.
:hmm:

For kicks He threw in dinosaurs bones for free, or made sure they were there from the other planets he drew matter from.

dbs

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom