COBL lyric question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL

War Child
I know it it was mentioned in some of the news links that this song was written about playing MSG for the first time after 9/11.
So is the "you" in the lyrics specifically directed at the people of NYC? I usually pick up on "vibe" of a lyric pretty quickly but it's only just dawning on me that it's to NYers.

So did everyone know this and I'm just slow?

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
I know it it was mentioned in some of the news links that this song was written about playing MSG for the first time after 9/11.
So is the "you" in the lyrics specifically directed at the people of NYC? I usually pick up on "vibe" of a lyric pretty quickly but it's only just dawning on me that it's to NYers.

So did everyone know this and I'm just slow?

The short answer is yes :) LOL

At the totp he said, it was as much about the fans and the band relating to the fans.

Damn I was afraid of that :eyebrow:

I'm only just getting into this song now. It's one of only a few that I didn't like after the first few listens. It's growing on me..

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
Damn I was afraid of that :eyebrow:

I'm only just getting into this song now. It's one of only a few that I didn't like after the first few listens. It's growing on me..

afraid in what way. I am intrigued :eyebrow:

Well either I stumbled onto some insightful nugget hidden away in a song, or I'm like the guy who only just discovered that with the remote he didn't have to get up to switch channels anymore.

I would have prefered the former! :wink:

:bow: Thank you boys! This song is absolutley amazing and even more special since I am a New Yorker!

Will, I think it could be about all U2 fans... About the live audience.

Actually, Adam said once that ABOY is in a way about their fans as well :wink:

I can't belive COBL was from as far back as the Pop Sessions...

If only iy made the album wuld ppl have disliked Pop so much, i wonder...:eyebrow:

I think it's general, all fans, or meant to be taken that way.
You can picture the city of blinding lights as being the stage. A "city" of 20,000 people in front of you, the blinding lights being obvious.

"I'm getting ready to leave the ground" = Elevation obviously.

"I miss you when you're not around" = Bono always saying he needs the attention of 20,000 people to feel normal.

etc etc.

Love this song.

Back
Top Bottom