catholic blues//convert shoes//stick on tattoos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your holy war
your nothern star
your sermon on the mount
from the boot of your car.....

(listening to it as we speak. I credit that song for teaching me what a "boot" is on a car)

KhanadaRhodes said:
from the first day i got pop and brought it home, this song stood out as one of my favourites on the album. it still is. but at the same time the subject... :sigh:

I hear you. My first Pop listen, it hit me hard. Love at first listen, and it's been one of my top U2 songs ever since.

I love how this song has a lot of people that go :drool: even though it isn't any good...

Listening to the version from Mexico City...

"And you never felt alive...til you'd almost wasted away"

Wow. Those lyrics hit hard.

This is one of the best songs U2 has ever written. I sincerely hope it makes an appearence sometime this tour...SOMETHING from Pop has to, U2 needs to stop pretending that album never happened. So it didn't do fantastically in the US, SO FUCKING WHAT, Pop is a brilliant album and I'd say most of the people here at least would agree. They didn't ignore it on Elevation tour, so why now? Especially a song like Please, which Bono has said is one of their best (or something along those lines), and it certainly fits well with the political part of the tour. If it doesn't appear at some point (namely Cleveland 12/10/05 :wink: ), I will be disappointed.

I love the bridge with the Sunday Bloody Sunday-type drums... some lyrics deemed creepily prophetic now in the wake of 9/11:

September, streets capsizing
Spilling over... and down the drain
Shards of glass, splinters like rain
But you could only feel your own pain
October, talk getting nowhere
November, December
Remember...are we just starting again?

Even as a kid something about this song always struck me as something very heavy...I've always loved it, it seemed very different. Something I could never quite place as a nine year old, but I think I understand it now.

As you can tell, I like this song a lot :D

BigMacPhisto said:
I love how this song has a lot of people that go :drool: even though it isn't any good...

right...Please isn't any good. What next, Where the Streets Have No Name? Please.

Pun intended :wink:

Thank God for the brilliant Single Version. The album version sounds as uninspired as Dirty Day, one of U2's worst recorded moments. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

The video, where Bono is almost in tears! That almost brings me to tears. Such a powerfull song. Perhaps the song that makes me the most emotional.

AtomicBono said:
this thread is likely to be dead soon because of it...it's a shame.

What was a wonderful thread about a wonderful song will soon be reduced to nothing. Hey, we might as well discuss the lyrics since it got moved to a forum in which lyrics are discussed. Since that was the initial focus anyway, as evidenced by the title and replies. :mad:

inmyplace13 said:
Why the fuck was this moved? Let's move a thread that's not even about lyrics into a place that no one will read it.

http://forum.interference.com/t124139.html
http://forum.interference.com/t131221.html
http://forum.interference.com/t130311.html

All these got to stay in EYKIW. How is this any different?

"Why the fuck was this moved?" is not a very nice way to ask.

The thread is discussing lyrics, is it not?

A Musical Journey
Discussion of song lyrics and interpretations

I'm sorry.. are you not discussing lyrics in this thread? And in all those other threads?
Please let me know and understand why this thread should be in EYKIW and I'll gladly move it back.
Perhaps I'm missing something.

I don't think of any of these threads as discussions of lyrics. I think of them as celebrations of their respective songs. You can tell by the replies that the focus is not the lyrics, but the song as a whole and what it means to people.

It's not that big of a deal, I was just curious.

Back
Top Bottom