Can 1st week sales of new Coldplay album (X&Y) match those of HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edge3

Refugee
I just thought this might be quite interesting considering U2 & Coldplay seem to be so close in terms of popularity & credibility. So can Coldplay's new album (X&Y) outsell HTDAAB in it's 1st week? Remember HTDAAB sold 840K in US + 200K in UK - 1900M worldwide (in 1st week).

I don't think they will but I think they'll come close : 500K in US (#1) + 320K in UK (#1) - 1500M worldwide.

What do you think?

Last edited:
last coldplay album over 8 million.

i think they'll be lucky to get anywhere near HTDAAB, 1.2 million at most
depends on 1st single which i havent heard.

About 18M :

I think Parachutes has sold about 8M to date - it is currently 2xPlat in US, 2xPlat IFPI Europe & 7xPlat in UK.

For A Rush Of Blood To The Head I would say sales stand at around 10M. This is the figure that I've heard being quoted most often. For example only 2 weeks ago Musicweek said it had sold 9.8M. Mediatraffic's figure of 7.9M is, rather like HTDAAB's, well under and I wouldn't believe the reviewer at Amazon.co.uk who reckons its sold 16M! - It is currently 3xPlat in US, 3xPlat IFPI Europe & 7xPlat in UK.

AROBTTH debuted at #1 in UK with sales of 278K. I believe they debuted at #5 in US (140K?). Right now they must be one of the 3 biggest bands in world (U2 & Green Day being the other 2).

Last edited:
ybird3k said:

.....i think they'll be lucky to get anywhere near HTDAAB, 1.2 million at most
depends on 1st single which i havent heard.

Interesting.... I think you may be right but I still think it would be great if they can get to 1500M in 1st week.

edge3 said:
About 18M :

I think Parachutes has sold about 8M to date - it is currently 2xPlat in US, 2xPlat IFPI Europe & 7xPlat in UK.

For A Rush Of Blood To The Head I would say sales stand at around 10M. This is the figure that I've heard being quoted most often. For example only 2 weeks ago Musicweek said it had sold 9.8M. Mediatraffic's figure of 7.9M is, rather like HTDAAB's, well under and I wouldn't believe the reviewer at Amazon.co.uk who reckons its sold 16M! - It is currently 3xPlat in US, 3xPlat IFPI Europe & 7xPlat in UK.

AROBTTH debuted at #1 in UK with sales of 278K. I believe they debuted at #5 in US (140K?). Right now they must be one of the 3 biggest bands in world (U2 & Green Day being the other 2).

Remember, Mediatraffic does not track album sales for albums that drop out of its top 40. The 8 million figure from Mediatraffic only includes the weeks where the album was selling enough to be in the global top 40. I would say "For A Rush Of Blood To The Head" has sold about 9 million copies worldwide. 3 million in the USA, 3 million in Europe and 3 million in the ROW(Rest Of The World).

Coldplay are huge in the United Kingdom and almost all of their sales in Europe are from sales in the United Kingdom. Parchutes is certified for 2 million+ sales in Europe, but we know that the album has already sold 2.1 million in the UK, which means most of their sales in Europe come from the UK alone.

Coldplay is still a developing band from a commercial point of view in many area's. I'm not sure if their ready to do a full scale Arena tour of the USA at a strong market price. I would put their opening weeks sales figure in the USA at about 300,000 , and I think they might hit the 1 million mark in the first week worldwide, but not more than that.

I don't consider Coldplay and Green Day to be on the same level of U2 in commercial terms, because they are so far behind U2 as concert selling artist. Their most recent albums of course are nearly on par with U2's latest in sales, but thats only 50% of the equation for determining overall popularity. How well you do on the concert selling side is the other half.

It will be interesting to hear the new Coldplay album and see how it does on the charts this summer. Should be a great tour as well.

what about the success for singles?

how have coldplays singles done in the USA billboard charts?

here are the charts positions of their singles in the UK.

#35 Shiver
#4 Yellow
#10 Trouble
#2 In My Place
#10 The Scientist
#9 Clocks

nowhere nears U2
U2's last few singles in UK -

#1 beautiful day
#2 stuck in a moment....
#3 elevation
#5 Walk on
#5 electrical storm
#1 Vertigo
#1 sometimes you cant....

ybird3k said:
what about the success for singles?

how have coldplays singles done in the USA billboard charts?

here are the charts positions of their singles in the UK.

#35 Shiver
#4 Yellow
#10 Trouble
#2 In My Place
#10 The Scientist
#9 Clocks

nowhere nears U2
U2's last few singles in UK -

#1 beautiful day
#2 stuck in a moment....
#3 elevation
#5 Walk on
#5 electrical storm
#1 Vertigo
#1 sometimes you cant....

On the Hot 100

Yellow # 48
Clocks # 29

The singles are there to sell the album, but are not a real indicator of true popularity. The single is vital to achieve album sales, but the sell of albums + concert tickets is what determines true popularity.

STING2 said:
The singles are there to sell the album, but are not a real indicator of true popularity. The single is vital to achieve album sales, but the sell of albums + concert tickets is what determines true popularity.

ye i know, just wondering

It is still amazing how U2 can have their last 7 singles all enter in the top 5 (inc. 3 #1's) - just shows how much of a loyal, dedicated (and sizeable) fan base we are. I hope Coldplay's new single will get to #1 in UK.

Last edited:
I think that Coldplay's last album will start very hard on the charts in Europe and Usa....but i think that expecially in the Usa they aren't so popular like u2...my prevision is near 1.500 000 in a week in world chart.

coldplay will also have to overcome white stripe's new album which will be released the same week.

edge3 said:

'Cos coldplay are boring middle class college boys with no passion in their music. That's how so.

If, at some hypothetical point in the future, they cease to suck, I will happily listen to their music. But the idea of putting them on the same credibility level as U2 after only two albums, ain't gonna wash.

Last edited:
Here's my prediction for 1st week of new Oasis album in UK : #1 - 250K

ajax said:
coldplay will also have to overcome white stripe's new album which will be released the same week.

Yes - this will be interesting, but Coldplay will win. The result (in UK) will be : Coldplay #1 - 300K, White Stripe's #2 - 150K (sorry Jack & Meg)

Last edited:
financeguy said:

'Cos coldplay are boring middle class college boys with no passion in their music. That's how so.

If, at some hypothetical point in the future, they cease to suck, I will happily listen to their music. But the idea of putting them on the same credibility level as U2 after only two albums, ain't gonna wash.

:scratch: What?

I totally disagree with this. Coldplay are a very good, young band, and if you've seen them live you know they put ALOT into their music, and are very passionate performers for their fans.

So what if they've only released two albums... how does that effect if someone's credible or not? Are you saying that a band with only two major releases doesn't care about their music, or is bound to never live up to U2?

I hate when people are so closed minded... no wonder so many bands get swallowed up so quickly these days, nobody gives them time to evolve and develop.

Coldplay is following along the same lines as U2, and frankly I'm fucking pumped to see where they'll go!

Look at all they've done in two albums. They have their own sound, a devoted group of fans, a charity cause they are devoted to, Make Trade Fair(which I think adds to their credibility...), and they have their dignity still intact.

Plus they worship U2.

I couldn't think of a better bunch of guys to hand things over to when U2 is done.

Needle_Chill said:
I hate when people are so closed minded... no wonder so many bands get swallowed up so quickly these days, nobody gives them time to evolve and develop.

It's not closed mindedness, I do own both their albums and to be honest they don't do anything for me. They just don't rock or have rhythm. A few undeniably great singles, I admit.

I could name lots of better bands that haven't got the exposure they have. Frankly, I think they've been lucky - and fine, fair play to them, but it's not for me.

As regards, Chris Martin's charity work - I applaud him.

As regards them being fans of U2, well I think they have good taste in music, but that in itself doesn't necessarily make me want to listen to them.

Each to their own I guess!

financeguy said:

It's not closed mindedness, I do own both their albums and to be honest they don't do anything for me. They just don't rock or have rhythm. A few undeniably great singles, I admit.

I could name lots of better bands that haven't got the exposure they have. Frankly, I think they've been lucky - and fine, fair play to them, but it's not for me.

As regards, Chris Martin's charity work - I applaud him.

As regards them being fans of U2, well I think they have good taste in music, but that in itself doesn't necessarily make me want to listen to them.

Each to their own I guess!

I didn't say it was a bad thing not to like their music at all, that's cool and to each his own of course! :up:

But you were saying that they have no passion for music, and that they were boring.

I think it's the opposite: they have a great passion for writing and performing their music (even if you have a dislike for it) , and they're definitely not boring IMO as they seem to care (much like U2) about the world they live in.

In my opinion, these two things are what will some day make them the world's biggest band, much like these two things made U2 so great over 25 years.

But yeah, sorry to highjack the thread, I'll shut up now...:wink:

No they cant....no way in hell coldplay would ever sell 800 thousand in the US in its first week they will be lucky to sell 220 thousand.

i think it has a strong possibility. i heard a bootleg of there first single, and its a lot more poppy than vertigo. I think it will have more appeal. incidently you can hear the single on coldplays website starting today at 21:00 GMT

just heard new coldplay single 'speed of sound',
wouldnt say its anything special, its not rock at all, i cant see how people compare coldpay to U2, coldpay haven't had a proper rock song.
:madspit:

my predication is coldplay will sell 300,000 first week in UK Oasis will sell 225,000 and white stripes about 100,000 these would be great figures as U2 sold 190,000 in first week in UK i think

andyuk said:
my predication is coldplay will sell 300,000 first week in UK Oasis will sell 225,000 and white stripes about 100,000 these would be great figures as U2 sold 190,000 in first week in UK i think

U2 sold 200,000 in the UK during its first week

Needle_Chill said:

Coldplay are a very good, young band

Not so young, actually. The average age of the band is, I believe, 28. By the time U2 were that age, they had completed 6 full albums and a couple of EPs. They had been touring for close to ten years and had produced at least one (in my opinion more than one) masterpiece. I will leave it to the experts here to say how many millions of albums they had sold by then. I would say Coldplay have a massive amount of catching up to do, and personally, I don't think they ever will.

Last edited:
After listening to Speed of sound, the new single, I highly doubt the new Coldplay album will be a monster seller.
Actually, if the rest of the album sounds similar to the new single, I foresee the beginning of Coldplay demise, much like what happened to Oasis back in 1997.

Do I need to say the new single sucks in my eyes?

biff said:

Not so young, actually. The average age of the band is, I believe, 28. By the time U2 were that age, they had completed 6 full albums and a couple of EPs. They had been touring for close to ten years and had produced at least one (in my opinion more than one) masterpiece. I will leave it to the experts here to say how many millions of albums they had sold by then. I would say Coldplay have a massive amount of catching up to do, and personally, I don't think they ever will.

This months Q magazine has quite an interesting front cover regarding the matter of Coldplay V U2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom