Braves vs. Cubs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MissVelvetDress_75 said:

and fuck his wife as well!
Do you think he'd let me?:evil:

Though I know what you are saying aboutfamily audience shots in sports...very annoying when they flash to them too often. (Anyone remeber the Brister sisters when Bubby was starting for the Steelers?)

I listened to the game on the radio (WGN :heart: )

I hate Fox broadcasts and the stupid celebrities they "place" in the crowd.

From the Chicago Sun Times

Atlanta overrun by Cubs, Wood, fans

October 1, 2003

ATLANTA -- "There ain't no Atlanta fans nowhere!'' shouts the man in the Cubs jersey, a baseball glove on his left hand. "It's all Cubbies!''

He is greeted by a smattering of cheers and no dissent.

Amazing, when you think about it -- since he is standing in the ticket line in front of Turner Field, home of the Atlanta Braves.

But the Cub Nation has mobilized.

The airplanes from Chicago to Atlanta were so filled with Cubs pilgrims on Tuesday that the insides looked like living American flags, all red C's, white lettering and baby blue bears.

"It's going to be a stressful two nights,'' Braves radio announcer Skip Caray said during the first inning of this opening Division Series game.

Of course, that sentiment makes sense when your home has been invaded by alien pests, starving for postseason success like demented termites starving for good wood.

Which leads us to pitcher Kerry Wood, who started out as good as can be.

The Cubs flamethrower was smoking 98-mph heaters and whizzing 88-mph sliders.

"He was pretty much locked into this game,'' said Cubs reliever Joe Borowski, who got the save in the 4-2 victory.

Wood had a single for himself in the third and, hey, how about that blind behind-the-back stab of Vinny Castilla's one-hopper in the second?

The solo home run he gave up to Braves second baseman Marcus Giles in the third was just an early aberration. Maybe it was retribution by Giles for when Woody's throwing mate, big-legged Mark Prior, ran over Giles in the Wrigley basepath back in July and nearly knocked the little guy's head off.

Giles had finally gotten himself elected to the All-Star team, and there he sat in Chicago at U.S. Cellular Field a few days later, unable to play because he was still a trifle cuckoo.

No matter, for at the end of the fifth inning Wood still had given up just that single run and just that one hit.

Then he was at bat in the sixth, with two men on and two out and the whole stadium figuring he would quickly end the inning. All he did was hammer a screaming double to the left-center-field wall off pitcher Russ Ortiz, and Aramis Ramirez and Eric Karros came in.

Suddenly, the Cubs had a 3-1 lead over this team that is so ho-hum about making the playoffs --12 division titles in 12 years, not including the strike year -- that there are still seats available (at the park ticket window) for Game 2 tonight. Think you could do the walk-up ticket thing at Wrigley?

You think you'll be able to breathe if the Cubs go all the way this year?

With the Cubs army roaring, the Braves' tomahawk-chop chant sounded like it was full of hiccups or was being jammed the way satellite TV jams the channels you haven't paid for.

And then came the chants of "Kerry!' Kerry!'' filling the stadium like the chorus of an invading locust horde.

This is what comes from pent-up yearning.

The Braves played in the World Series in 1991, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1999, winning it in '95.

The Cubs last played in the World Series in, let's see, 1945.

A chiseled limestone tablet found under Murphy's Bleachers during recent construction claims the Cubs won the World Series in 1908. (Experts have been called in to verify the artifact.)

But these are the new Cubs.

These aren't the Cubs that were overjoyed to sneak into the playoffs in 1998 and then get humiliated in three straight by the Braves.

New leader/prophet Dusty Baker was asked before the game if he felt the pressure of the ages, since, you know, the Cubs haven't even played for baseball's championship in 58 years.

"I don't feel any pressure,'' the first-year Cubs manager said, just a tad peeved. "I wasn't even born in 1945.''

No, but Cubbie frustration was.

Woody kept fanning batters, but in the eighth with the Cubs up 4-1, he faced Braves slugger Gary Sheffield with two men on. And walked him.

When Baker relieved Wood, the cheering was wild. And it was just as big when relievers Mike Remlinger, Kyle Farnsworth and Borowski combined to preserve the lead.

"This has happened already at other parks,'' Cubs center fielder Kenny Lofton said of the cheering. "It was nice. But it wasn't shocking.''

Lofton, who went 2-for-5 with an RBI, was cheered himself.

"You go on the road and you've got fans? It helps,'' he said

Wood said he was proud of his continued development as a skilled pitcher and not just a wildly talented thrower. But he also noticed the crowd and, like Lofton, he said he finds it comforting.

"You know that if they're going to follow us all the way to Puerto Rico, they're going to come an hour and 10 minutes to Atlanta,'' he said. That's by airplane, by the way.

"It's a home game,'' Chicago native Stanley "Scrappy'' Castro said before the game. He was standing with his Chicago buddies not far from the Hank Aaron statue.

He and his pals drove down to Atlanta immediately after the Bears' home opener at Soldier Field on Monday night.

"Shoulda left at halftime,'' Scrappy, from the Northwest Side, grumbled. "But the Cubs are winning here. I got my heart broken in '84, '89, '98. I'm 32, so I wasn't alive in 1969. But we're winning here.''

His buddies agree. Three more pals are flying in from Chicago. They're all fired up.

They comprise one slender platoon in the Cubs army.

And the army's marching.

Chicago Tribune

Cubs fans prove no game too far

By Jon Yates
Tribune staff reporter
Published October 1, 2003

ATLANTA -- They descended on this city like an army in blue, an invasion force dressed in Cubs pinstripes and ball caps, jerseys and sweaters.

To get here, they cut classes and skipped work, delayed jury duty and canceled medical appointments.

Some simply told their bosses the truth: Their Cubs were in the playoffs and nothing was going to stop them from attending.

Chris Lotho, 29, of Chicago, wasn't taking any chances.

"This is a once-in-a-century," said Lotho, who set his hotel room alarm clock for 5 a.m. Tuesday so he could--cough--wake up and--cough--call in sick to work.

Call it the Blue Flu, an epidemic that has turned the home of the Braves, a.k.a. Turner Field, into Wrigley Field South.

There are thousands of Cubs fans here, many of whom were shut out of playoff tickets in Chicago and figured it was easier--and in some cases cheaper--to go to Atlanta to watch a game than to pay a ticket broker hundreds of dollars for a seat Friday or, if necessary, Saturday at Wrigley Field.

"We just made our mind up to do it," said Wayne Winn, 34, of Springfield, who like many others decided to head south Monday after hearing that tickets in Atlanta were plentiful.

Winn and his wife loaded up their Hyundai, painted "Go Cubs, World Series or Bust 2003" on their windows, and drove 10 hours to get here.

Tony Wilson, 47, drove through the night to get here from Crown Point, Ind., arriving at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday. By noon, he was drinking beers in a downtown Hooters, resplendent in full Cubs regalia.

"You can't get tickets in Chicago, so we'll take Chicago to Atlanta," he said as other Cubs fans passed by outside. "It's a darn good feeling."

Braves fans good sports

Even Braves fans seemed into it. A front-page story in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Tuesday ran below the headline: "Cubs Fever, Brave It!" Few seemed all that upset about the flood of fans from the North.

"It's just great. It's been so long since they've done this. Everybody loves the Cubs," said Robert Thornton, 25, of Jesup, Ga., a self-proclaimed Braves booster who said he wouldn't mind too much if the Cubs won.

Aubrey Walker, 61, of Social Circle, Ga., said it's just not in Braves fans' natures to be nasty to the visiting team.

"This is the South," Walker said. "We welcome."

Across the street from the stadium, in the parking lot of the Bullpen Restaurant, Richard Sink, 55, sold both Braves and Cubs paraphernalia. The Braves merchandise was half-price. The Cubs caps and shirts were not marked down.

Still, he estimated that about 90 percent of his business Tuesday was from Cubs fans.

"The Cubs fans, they buy every year. They don't care if they're winning or losing," Sink said. "I knew if they ever won, this would go gangbusters."

Braves fans, he explained, have been a bit complacent since they won the World Series in 1995. The team has been to the playoffs for 12 years straight, and many Atlantans view a division series as no big deal.

Tickets scarce

That is why even on Tuesday seats could be purchased by crazed Cubs fans. By first pitch, the game was sold out, with only standing room tickets remaining.

Joe Clemente, director of advertising and publicity for the Braves, said he expected the club to break its attendance record for a division series game. But Tuesday's attendance of 52,043 fell short of the record, 52,529, set in a 1996 playoff game.

"I know the Cubs are such a big draw," Clemente said. "They've got such loyal fans."

The Braves expect Wednesday's game to sell out as well. It will release 3,000 standing room only tickets at 11 a.m. Chicago time Wednesday morning.

The huge Cubs contingent certainly made its presence known in the stadium. Wearing blue and red face paint and Division Championship T-shirts, fans chanted "Let's Go, Cubs" as the team took the field, at times drowning out the home fans.

"This is like being in Wrigley," said Douglas Diershow, 47, of Oak Brook.

Some who had planned to return Wednesday to Chicago were already scheming how to extend their trip another day.

Jason Smith, 25, of Highland, Ind., said he told his boss he was taking Tuesday off to attend the Cubs game, and his boss had no problem with it. Taking another day, however, might be dicey.

"Basically, if you're going to lose your job, this is the way to do it," said Smith, a railroad worker.

Some had no choice but to go home.

Missing school

Dawn Jackson took her two sons out of school so they could drive down from Forsyth, Ill., Tuesday for the game. Missing two days of school, she said, was not an option.

"It's kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing," said Jackson, flanked by Nicolas, 13, and Austin, 10. "Some of their friends were pretty jealous."

Copyright ? 2003, Chicago Tribune

By the way, chizip...they quote a fan from Chiz..you talked about me being in Champaign....they quote a guy from Springfield in the article. Springfield is further south than Champaign.

Atlanta fans have noone to blame but themselves since they never sell out Jane Fonda Field for playoff games, so good for Cub fans for invading.

I'm just glad the Cubs won and They always show the hot wife over and over. It's like a rule of bad coverage

Last edited:
zoney! said:
By the way, chizip...they quote a fan from Chiz..you talked about me being in Champaign....they quote a guy from Springfield in the article. Springfield is further south than Champaign.

yes but im sure he only roots for the cubs, not 6 other teams as well

its nice to see cubs fans dont have jobs

tooo many innings...i realise i'm talking about the wrong teams, but too many innings....make it stop. and not in favour of oakland.

Cubbies blew it.

Good close game though.

Neither team dominated the game, unlike game one.

And as for being "silent" do you mean Interference?

I don't think anyone really made a HUGE stink about the Cubs winning. I know I didn't. I think Screaming Flower made one post... :eyebrow:

Last edited:
Chizip said:

yes but im sure he only roots for the cubs, not 6 other teams as well

its nice to see cubs fans dont have jobs

again...you are a member of some lame herd, following lame rules chizip.

You are really a sore loser chizzer. You are cheering for the Braves, telling me I am wrong for cheering for the Cubs.

You know what....YOUR TEAM ISN'T EVEN IN THE PLAYOFFS. And I am sure the Cardinal fans would fill Turner Field too. Would I then say, "oh, look, Cardinals fans don't have jobs." No. How can you travel with no job?

You defy logic. Now stop your crying. PLEASE.

y'all need to get your facts straight

turner field has been sold out plenty of times including this series. and yes i understand the cubs fans have a lot to do w/ it, but it has been a fantastic crowd and the crowd last night was a record for any MLB division series game. so yay to both cubs and braves fans for getting in to it last night. and when the braves were on their march to greatness in the early 90's it was hard to find a ticket here. :up:

:yes:

One of the cubs was quoted in an article saying that he would like to see if Chicago would sell out a first round playoff after making the playoffs twelve straight years (or whatever it is). I bet the Cubs fans would like to see that too.

Turner Field is sooo much bigger than Wrigley too. I think Turner has more than 10,000 more seats than Wrigley. I think the fans had a good game last night!

image_195542.jpg

image_195330.jpg

even i can have a sense of humor about this. :laugh:
image_195304.jpg

zoney! said:

again...you are a member of some lame herd, following lame rules chizip.

You are really a sore loser chizzer. You are cheering for the Braves, telling me I am wrong for cheering for the Cubs.

You know what....YOUR TEAM ISN'T EVEN IN THE PLAYOFFS. And I am sure the Cardinal fans would fill Turner Field too. Would I then say, "oh, look, Cardinals fans don't have jobs." No. How can you travel with no job?

You defy logic. Now stop your crying. PLEASE.

sheesh, dont get your panties in a bunch, you cubs fans are a testy bunch

you are the one telling me to stop crying, yet you are the ones using caps and yelling and making personal attacks, while i havent really done that once

maybe you should take your own advice

there is nothing more the braves can do. they have tired every fucking thing but nothing works for them ever! :scream: what good will it do to fire Bobby Cox? We are losing at least most likely some key players next season. my heart is broken as it always is at this time of the year but i will still support my team.

i have no love for the cubs or marlins. i am only hoping that Boston beats Oakland tomorrow. and if they don't i will not watch baseball until next spring.

Last edited:
holy tomahawk flop

OMG I CANNOT FREAKING BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hyper:

i just got back from wrigley and it's like a damn street party down there. there are 1000s of people going completely insane. i think i even got on tv. :dance:

i think i'm going to implode. :combust:

HELL YEAH CUBBIES!!!!!!!

this is so damn fun. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom