Bono in Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey, i live in mexico and arent happy all the time, so, it may not be so nice, but i respect you opinion:up:

sweetie said:

I know a few people that don't realize what they look like when they don't smile. :shrug: Or they try for a serious look but it comes across as upset - know what I mean?

Ditto!

Last edited:
Junebug said:

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm one of those people, actually :lol: . People will be asking me why I look so pissed, and I'll be confused because I feel perfectly fine. Then I go look in a mirror and I'm like, "Oh."

I get that too :lol:

My father will ask me why I "have that mean look" on my face, and I'll be like, "What?"

from u2eastlink
6a169cdd.jpg

I know minimal spanish but not enough to translate this article :scream:

Guadalajara, México (1 de diciembre 2005).- Como si de agarrar un taxi se tratara, Guy LaLibertè, dueño del Cirque du Soleil, invitó a Bono, vocalista de U2, a ver el show "Saltimbanco" en Guadalajara. Visita que terminó en toda una fiesta.

LaLibertè tomó su jet privado y se trasladaron desde Montreal, Canadá, para ver la función del martes por la noche en tierras tapatías, y después se fueron a cenar a un restaurante local, donde el rockero conoció a Alejandro Fernández y se encontró con los integrantes de Maná.

"Bono es amigo personal de Guy LaLiberté", mencionó Pascalle Ouimet, relacionista pública del Soleil.

"Este fue un viaje muy personal, entre amigos, no hubo ninguna discusión sobre negocios ni otra razón específica por la que Bono estuviera aquí".

Pero el líder de la banda irlandesa no logró pasar inadvertido.

Estuvo acompañado de un cuerpo de seguridad de seis elementos que no permitió que los curiosos se acercaran a él demasiado, pero mostró una actitud siempre amable.

Cuando la gente gritó su nombre en el intermedio, él alzó su brazo para saludar y dio un autógrafo a un niño. Su presencia llamó demasiado la atención, y finalmente salió minutos antes de que terminara la función.

Se trasladó al restaurante Cocina 88, a donde llegó cerca de la medianoche. Sólo con directivos del Cirque du Soleil y de OCESA, Bono estuvo en una mesa como para 20 personas al fondo del restaurante, con estricto control de seguridad de varios guardias.

Después de media hora, llegaron Fher Olvera y Alex González, de Maná, a quienes no se les dio acceso rápido. Ellos estuvieron a distancia en otra mesa, pese a que se dice que tienen amistad con Bono y planean invitarlo para hacer una mancuerna en su próximo disco.

Quien entró como en alfombra roja fue Alejandro Fernández y su novia Ayari Anaya, cerca de las 1:30 horas. Y de inmediato pasaron a saludar a la gente de OCESA que los presentó con Bono.

A los de Maná no los atendieron mucho, pero Bono congenió con El Potrillo. Estuvieron en el lugar una media hora más y luego partieron a casa de Alejandro a seguir la fiesta por tres horas más.

El Potrillo y su novia iban en un Ferraris amarillo; Bono se trasladó con su gente en una camioneta.

Entre chilaquiles y cerveza

Ayer, Bono salió del Hotel Hilton a las 12:00 horas acompañado por el dueño del Soleil. Los empleados aprovecharon la oportunidad de tomarse fotos y pedirle autógrafos. Bono ya no era resguardado por guardias, y fue amable con todos.

Al subir a la camioneta saludó por la ventanilla alzando su mano con la "V" de la victoria gritando: "¡Adiós Guadalajara!".

Su última parada fue en el restaurante Los Chilaquiles, alrededor de las 12:20 horas.

Lo acompañaban tres chicas, un señor de 50 años con bastón y cuatro personas más de origen extranjero; primero pidieron para llevar, pero finalmente se quedaron a comer en la mesa 10.

En el centro de la mesa colocaron dos platos de chilaquiles con mole, otros dos en salsa verde y otros dos colorados; cuatro empanadas de plátano macho, cervezas, margaritas y café de olla. Y de ahí salieron rumbo al aeropuerto.

¿Y los shows en México?

En su página en Internet, U2 ya confirma fechas en Nueva Zelanda y Australia para el mes de marzo del 2006. Pero México aún no figura.

"Estuvo en el Cirque du Soleil, pero su visita no tiene nada que ver con OCESA. Nosotros no tenemos ninguna información relativa a U2 en Guadalajara. No fue una visita oficial, ni está revisando estadios", aseguró un vocero de OCESA.

"Sí hay negociaciones para que venga a México, pero no está definida ninguna ciudad, ni inmueble, ni fecha. No hay nada todavía.

"Sobre la información que se publicó de que estaría en el Foro Monterrey en febrero, eso lo dijo Gastón Melo, quien es director del mismo. Pero esa es una información que dio él. Es él quien tendrá que dar la cara para sustentar esa información. No tiene nada que ver con OCESA".

As if it were as easy as catching a cab, Guy LaLiberte, owner of Cirque du Soleil, invited Bono, the lead singer of U2, to watch the show "Saltimbanco" in Guadalajara. A visit that concluded in quite the party.

LaLibertè took his private jet and traveled from Montreal, Canadá, to catch the tuesday show in Guajalajara. Afterwards they went to grab some dinner at a local restaurant where the rocker met Alejandro Fernández and got together with the members of Maná.

"Bono is a personal friend of Guy LaLiberté", mentioned Pascalle Ouimet, PR for Soleil.

"This is a very personal trip between friends. There were no business discussions nor any other specific reason for Bono being here".

The leader of the Irish band was unable to go incognito.

He was accompanied by a security team of six individuals that did nHis presence drew a lot of attention and he finally left a few minutes before the show ended.

He went to the Restaurant Cocina 88 where he arrived around midnight. He sat at a table at the back of the restaurant with Cirque du Soleil and OCESA personnel with strict security control provided by various guards.

After half an hour, Fher Olvera y Alex González arrived Maná, thoough they were not given immediate access. They remained at a distance despite the fact that it is said that they are friendly with Bono and they plan to invitate him to guest in their next record.

The one that did make an almost red carpet entrance was Alejandro Fernández and his girlfriend Ayari Anaya, around 1:30 am. They immediately greeted the people from OCESA which in turned introduced them to Bono.

The members of Maná did not receive too much attention, but Bono mingled with El Potrillo (Fernandez). They stayed about a half hour and then departed to Alejandro's house to continue with the party for an additional three hours.

El Potrillo and his girlfriend were driving a yellow Ferrari; Bono was with his people in an SUV.

Last edited:
Chilaquiles and beeer...
t
Yesterday, Bono left the Hilton Hotel at 12:00 PM accompanied by the owner of the Soleil. The employees took the opportunity to get their pictures taken and get autographs. Bono was no longer with his security and was kind to everyone.

Once he got into his vehicle he greeted everyone through the window by raising his hand in a "V" and shouting: "¡Adiós Guadalajara!".

His last stop was at the restaurant Los Chilaquiles, around 12:20 PM.

He was accompanied by three women, a gentleman of around 50 years with a cane and four more foreigners. First they asked for take-out, but then they decided to stay at table 10.

At the center of the table they set up two plates of chilaquiles with mole, two more with salsa verde and two more of red; four plaintain empanadas, beers, margaritas y café de olla. Then they departed for the airport

And the shows in Mexico?

On their internet page, U2 has confirmed dates in New Zealand and Australia for March 2006 but Mexico is still not listed.

"He was at Cirque du Soleil, but his visit does not have anything to do with OCESA. We do not have any information in relation to U2 in Guadalajara. It was no an official visit nor is he checking out stadiums", advised a spokesperson for OCESA.

"There are negotiations for U2 to come to Mexico but there aren't any defined cities, venues nor dates. There's nothing yet.

"In regard to the published information about them playing at the Foro Monterrey in Febrero, that is information given by him. He is the one that would have to confirm that information, said Gastón Melo, Director of the same. That has nothing to do with OCESA".

:crack:
Not the greatest translation ever, but I did it while watching Lost. :lol:

Last edited:
miroslava, i really do thank you. that was very nice of you to translate.

i like these details for some reason:

He was accompanied by three women, a gentleman of around 50 years with a cane and four more foreigners. First they asked for take-out, but then they deicded to stay at table 10.

At the center of the table they set up two plates of chilaquiles with mole, two more with salsa verde and two more of red; four plaintain empanadas, beers, margaritas y café de olla

:)

Thank you for translating that. It's been a while since spanish in highschool.

lesallimc said:
I like that Bono doesn't always smile. He's just a human being after all. I don't trust people who smile all the time. :eyebrow:

And you know what they say..."Never trust a guy who wears a pinkie ring:wink: :(

U2FloridaFan said:

I had a great time in Mexico!!! The pyramids and other historic sites are awesome and the people are friendly. What more could you ask.....just don't drink the water.

:lol:
I drank coke..I think :wink:

Well, I went to Nogales, which is right on the AZ-MEX. border, not nice,just street markets etc.
Then i went on a cruise to Ensenada, it was okay,but it smelt very bad [possibly because the water had fish in it?]
:lol:

:crack:
Not the greatest translation ever, but I did it while watching Lost. :lol: [/B]

It was a good translation Miro...Im fluent in SPanish (speak, read, write) and trust me you did a great job...

Oh and Alejandro Fernandez was here today in LA reciving his Star on the walk of Fame, A colaboration with Bono and Fernando?...maybe not....With Mana?..Im used to be a fan of theirs when they ROCKED but thay have been "sappy" for years...Bono going to Alejandros ranch (Los 3 potrillos) or home?...I would have loved to sit in that conversation...

Last edited:
U2FloridaFan said:

I had a great time in Mexico!!! The pyramids and other historic sites are awesome and the people are friendly. What more could you ask.....just don't drink the water.

I've visited a few places in Mexico and Im in awe of the cultureand history, and structures....It is a shame that the goverment in Mexico has always been shite, therefore the people live in poverty, but there are "many" places in Mexico that are lavish, very clean and people live in luxury...I visted places like that with friends and also saw the poverty....

I was born in Mexico (baja California 3 hours north of Tijuana)

My friend took me to Guadalajara Mexico and I was in awe of the structures and beautiful parks and museums, Jalisco and Guadalajara you find a lot of "white people"...Blonde blue eyes/green eyed Mexicans as there are in other regions of Mexico..
My Maternal Granfather was from Sinaloa and was a "red-neck"green eyed MExican:wink:

Well it would be cool if U2 played in Mexico because they have a huge following there!!!..Plus Id definately go!!!:hyper:

Last edited:
BonoFox1 said:

I was born in Mexico (baja California 3 hours north of Tijuana)

hope you dont mind me asking, but where exactly where you born?:hmm:
3 hours north of Tijuana and you're no longer in Mexico....

Growing up I spent a lot of time in Baja (both North and South)...it is quite lovely, once you get out of the cities ...and find the nice, isolated, clear water, clean beaches (such as Mulege):drool:

Cool news!!

Lol it surprises me I'm not the only one who is serious and looks angry. It has happened to me forever, I remember being 4 or so and my Mum asking: "what's wrong?" when nothing was wrong. We were walking though the street (ahhh memories :rolleyes: ) :lol: And this year or the other (can't remember :huh:) I was at school just waiting for the schoolbus and a little girl who must have been 6 asked me: "what's wrong?" :laugh: she was just so cute!! "Nothing" I said. Teachers always tell me I'm too serious... I dunno :shrug: :)

Last edited:
elevation2u said:

hope you dont mind me asking, but where exactly where you born?:hmm:
3 hours north of Tijuana and you're no longer in Mexico....

Growing up I spent a lot of time in Baja (both North and South)...it is quite lovely, once you get out of the cities ...and find the nice, isolated, clear water, clean beaches (such as Mulege):drool:

Ok maybe it is not 3 hours north! LOL!! I have never drove from Tijuana to Mexicali (where i was born) is it one hour?? I dont know!..ha ha!! maybe Im thinking about the 4 or so hour drive from LA to Mexicali or I just plain hate driving long distances..:|

oh, Mexico has beautiful places at the north... Chihuahua and the Tarahumara region is awesome

anyway

Bono just phoned to the mexican Teleton... (a few minutes ago, this Teletopn thing is a yearly show that lasts 24 hours), that aids the children with disability, he read a poem (in spanish) and I dunno, it was a nice surprise

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom