Anyone else herre concurr that "How to..." is the worst album name - ever???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to admit: as of today, the title still hasn't won me over. However, ATYCLB seemed really cumbersome & odd to me when I first heard it spoken, but now just seems to roll off the tongue, you know?

Truth of the matter is, though, they could name the thing "Boo Bear & the Silly Willies" and I'd buy the damn thing 1st chance I'd get! I mean, after all - it's U2 people!! It's what I live for!!! :wink:

It just sounds a bit strange to me, it just doesn't really roll right off the tip of your tongue...but, Joshua Tree, Achtung, etc. are all a bit weird, yet I have become as familiar with them as I am my own name. So I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I've never really questioned any of their album names.

The Joshua Tree is a good name I think.
I've always loved Achtung Baby.
ATYCLB may not roll off the tongue, but I still think it's a good title for an album.

HTDAAB definately doesn't roll off the tongue, and I'm not in love with it or anything, but I don't dislike it. I like it better thinking of it as an idea rather than a title.

mikal said:
i'm sure once bono goes on a rant of why U2 named their album "HTDAAB", you'll all praise the name.

just like the music, you have to let it grow on you.

Bono can rant about whatever he wants, it doesn't change the fact that the title is a joke. I don't agree with that much of what he says anyway...never have. Just because most everyone here treats him like the second coming doesn't mean I ever will.

Thankfully the music sounds amazing. Hopefully the lyrics aren't as trite as the title.

iota said:

Bono can rant about whatever he wants, it doesn't change the fact that the title is a joke. I don't agree with that much of what he says anyway...never have. Just because most everyone here treats him like the second coming doesn't mean I ever will.

Thankfully the music sounds amazing. Hopefully the lyrics aren't as trite as the title.

woah!

your opinion of Bono is your own business, but you don't even know the meaning of the title, and you're calling it a joke? i hate to pull out the whole "don't judge a book by its cover" analogy, but you should never judge a book its cover. :)

well, it's better than the alternative title:

"The World Is Fucked And We Die In Pain".

For those of you who say How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb doesn't roll easily off the tongue, neither does citing the statistics of the daily deaths from AIDS. The whole point is that it's not meant to be easy or sweet to say like Pop.

Or if it bothers you that much, call it Hut Dab.

The title is growing on me, at first i thought it was complete garbage. But what would the alternative be? Hanover Quay? sounds kinda wierd. Vertigo? too 'poppy.'

we all know that AB is "4 men chopping down the joshua tree," so was ATYCLB the atomic bomb and now they're dismatling it??!

i think ATYCLB should have been called HTDAAB, because, whether you like it or not, Pop was an atomic bomb, a big one (i like it, personally :wink: )

Well a concept album needs a good conceptual name. I think once we hear more of the songs in their entirety the album name will make sense.

I am just thankful it didn't get named Hanover quay. That would have been aweful! How could music be tied to a name like that? HTDAAB, however, is a shocker of a title and shows the band are still up to "knocking them out."

In conclusion, thank you, who ever made the decision to change the name from HQ.:bow:

REJOICCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEcause U2 picked such a fricken sweet ALBUM TITLE.
I LOVE IT

I think it's one of the most pretentious titles ever in all recorded history. Right up there with Achtung Baby, ATYCLB, Zooropa, and a whole host of U2 song titles. Yup. I hate it and most of their titles. I find them cumbersome and pretentious. Yuck! If I buy it, I'll have to order online as it's way too embarassing to have to actually say out loud. Ick, ick, ick -- makes me want to wash my hands. And I agree that it is soooo cheesy -- sadly it doesn't even seem to be fun cheese (I'm all for fun cheese), but serious cheese, which is the worst kind.

Hope the songs are better than the title.

Last edited:
indra said:
I think it's one of the most pretentious titles ever in all recorded history. Right up there with Achtung Baby, ATYCLB, Zooropa, and a whole host of U2 song titles. Yup. I hate it and most of their titles. I find them cumbersome and pretentious. Yuck! If I buy it, I'll have to order online as it's way too embarassing to have to actually say out loud. Ick, ick, ick -- makes me want to wash my hands. And I agree that it is soooo cheesy -- sadly it doesn't even seem to be fun cheese (I'm all for fun cheese), but serious cheese, which is the worst kind.

You are kidding, right?

indra said:

damn indra, tell us how you really feel...

I agree with indra on the new album title

it makes me feel embaressed for U2 and their quest to spread love - not war...loooove. It is an incredibly lame title. and the "concept" will not change that...since I already know what the concept is...and I'm sure it will be the same concept for the next album as well.
WE CAN CHANGE THE WORLD> JUST BELIEVE IN YOURSELF>
looooooooooooove...not war

I, however, see nothing pretenious in a name like ahctung baby or zooropa.

That's alright, half of U2's album titles have sucked, but that still doesn't keep me from buying the albums. At least they'll probably name this tour something else... wasn't The Joshua Tree the last tour they named after the title of the album? Yeah, okay, Pop, but at least they made it Popmart. This'll probably be the "Vertigo Tour" or something... hope to god they don't call it the Atomic Bomb Tour or something along those lines...

The Dismantling tour??? The Reagan Remembrance tour? The How to Dismantle a Really Crappy Album Title Tour?

Curious too about the lyrics on the album. As far as I can determine, The Joshua Tree was the only album that didn't have it's title SOMEWHERE in the lyrics of the tracks on that album.

bah, I'm blathering...

goat

Can anyone actually provide any real quotes that Bono says you dismantle an atomic bomb with love, or is this just people being overly cynical?

indra said:

Nope, not kidding at all. I hate it.

That much that you won't even say it in a shop? Come ON, that's a wee bit extreme. It's six words. Big deal.

Axver, i can't find the article, but Bono did ask someone "How do you dismantle an atomic bomb?" and b4 the person responded, Bono interjected: "With Love":wink:

ya, this whole love mission people are projecting with this title is really false. If they start saying it in interviews, then I wont like it either. Until then, I think its an eye-opening raw title that fits perfectly for a guitar-driven album. Forget all the "with love" shit Bono was talking about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom