ABOY Solo - Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roy_grace

Babyface
Hey guys, I was listening to the Live in San Diego version of All Because of You, and was trying to get the solo down. Its virtually identical to the album version, except a couple more notes at the end of the studio version. Anyways, this is how I play it, and I was looking for a little feedback on how I should play one riff of it.

Code:
    After the second chorus we have this riff

e|--12-12\10-10\7-7--7h8p7\5-7---9-10-9\5-5-5\2----9-10-9\5-5-5-7p5-7p5--|
b|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
g|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
d|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
a|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|--9-10-9\5-5-5\2--|
b|------------------|
g|------------------|
d|------------------|
a|------------------|
E|------------------|

Then my question is should it be either...

e|----2-2---2-2---2-----------------2-2---2-2---2-----------------2-2---2-2---2-----|
b|--5-----5-----5----5-5\4-4\3-3--5-----5-----5----5-5\4-4\3-3--5-----5-----5----5--|
g|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
d|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
a|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

or this?

e|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b|--5-9-9-5-9-9-5-9--5-5\4-4\3-3--5-9-9-5-9-9-5-9--5-5\4-4\3-3--5-9-9-5-9-9-5-9--5--|
g|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
d|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
a|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

then this little riff again

e|---12-12\10-10\7-7--7/10-10/12-12--12-12\10-10\7-7--7h8p7\5-7\--|
b|----------------------------------------------------------------|
g|----------------------------------------------------------------|
d|----------------------------------------------------------------|
a|----------------------------------------------------------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------------------|

e|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b|-----8---8h10p8---8----8-10/12-12-12-----8---8h10p8---8----8-10/12-12-12--|
g|--/9---9--------9----9----------------/9---9--------9----9----------------|
d|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
a|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|---------------------------------------------------------14-14-14-14-15-15-15-15--|
b|-----8---8h10p8---8----8-10/12-12-12-/15-15-15-/17-17-17--------------------------|
g|--/9---9--------9----9------------------------------------------------------------|

Comments?

Last edited:
Sorry, that slide part should be

Code:
b|---5-5\3-3\2-2--

not 

b|---5-5\4-4\3-3--

or should I play it this way

e--------------------------------|
B----7-7---7-7---7---------------|
G--9-----9-----9----9-9-7-7-6-6--|
D--------------------------------|
A--------------------------------|
E--------------------------------|

I know they are all the same notes, but in different... "octaves?", "keys?"

My ear is not that good at hearing which one is more accurate.

Wow, 100 views and no reply :sad: Oh well, I guess it is a pretty stupid question. I was just wondering what everybody thought was the best way - ie., finger position wise, tone wise, etc.
Here's another way. :wink:

Code:
e--0-2-2-0-2-2-0-2-----0-0----------|
B--------------------------3-3-2-2--|
G-----------------------------------------|

Last edited:
no, not a stupid question at all. just haven't gotten to it yet. i'll see if I can try your ways soon and give you feedback. :)

trevgreg said:
no, not a stupid question at all. just haven't gotten to it yet. i'll see if I can try your ways soon and give you feedback. :)

Thanks for the reply. I just got back from Vancouver where I saw them the second night. After watching edge I'm pretty positive now he plays it this way...

Code:
e|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b|--5-7-7-5-7-7-5-7--5-5\3-3\2-2----|

well, I think you got close to nailing the main riff after Bono's yell (and in the words of MacPhisto, and for that I thank you!). the rest seems alright (even the first post), though I'll have to get this all down before determining what sounds better.

Other than that though, good job! ;)

Back
Top Bottom