(08-18-2005) Kanye West To Support U2? - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HelloAngel said:

I'm not prejudging him. Just commenting on comments Kanye himself has made to the press - not what the press is saying about him (although they too call him arrogant.) His egotistical comments do turn me off, although I think he is a bright light who seems to have a positive message. Because of that, I'd enjoy seeing him open for U2.

Ok, now I see where you are comming from, if you have seen him in an interveiw and he came off as arrogant I could certainly see why you would not like his attitude... I have seen a few celebs at there worst myself and I have totally lost respect for them also. Thank you for clearing that up, I really appreciate it.:up: :up:

U2@NYC said:

:madspit:

No, I will show up later. Just for the U2 concert.

I already listened to him and think his music sucks. I am pretty open minded to music but his stuff just doesn't click with me.

No need to get upset...I do respect you opinion of him...I just wanted to know what it is based on...OK so I get it now... you you do not like his music:shame:

Slipstream said:
Kanye West is an arrogant twat. Didn't this guy make the negative comments about U2 during the Grammys?

Did he REALLY or you just saying that? Prove it !! :eyebrow:

Check out MTV at 10:30pm EDT (in the U.S.) to find out more about him.

Personally, I hope this is true.....especially if he's opening for them at the Detroit concert I am going to this October!!

I hope it is not ture either:( That would be a shame because from what I heard U2 is a fan of his work and I like some of his music too:confused:

kanye might bring in some fans to the arena that are not that familiar with what u2 is really about...ever think that might be why u2 would want him to open?
like kanye or not, he is super hot with young people of all races, and a little diversity at a u2 show would not be a bad thing.

Carmelu2fan said:

No need to get upset...I do respect you opinion of him...I just wanted to know what it is based on...OK so I get it now... you you do not like his music:shame:

Not liking his music is actually too nice... I despise his music. But I should probably generalize this statement by despising hip hop and rap in general, which I consider an offense to my ears and a repulsive (and I am not exaggerating, this is the way I feel about it) kind of music... call me too passionate, if you want.

You are more than welcome to like this guy and, since he seems to be successful, he must have talent. This is just my opinion and my hope that U2 gets someone else to open the show.

caragriff said:
kanye might bring in some fans to the arena that are not that familiar with what u2 is really about...ever think that might be why u2 would want him to open?
like kanye or not, he is super hot with young people of all races, and a little diversity at a u2 show would not be a bad thing.

I'm pretty sure this is a moot point, as the leg is pretty much sold out...though if it wasn't I think you had a point there. :wink:

And Kelly, I know...*shudder* They were just sad live! Maybe they just couldn't cut it in an arena and they'd be quasi-decent in a more intimate venue. Dunno, but once was definitely enough for me, as far as KOL was concerned!

I think Kanye would be an inspired choice, but might turn off alot of U2's older audience and core audience - thereby making him a tough sell. One can't expect older fans to like hiphop opening a rock show. I love hiphop, but I think it's ok to just have a rock show be a rock show sometimes. I leave festivals to bring the diversity - not a rock show. Rap shows and country shows don't need to bring diversity - they just enjoy preaching to the converted, and so should a rock show.

Kanye might be a hit with young people - but U2's audience is not a younger-skewing audience. Sure, there are teens that are into U2 now, but a great percentage are not. I'd love to see Kanye rock the stage and bring the hiphop, I'm just not sure U2's audience would want to hear it. Is that sad? No, not really. I wouldn't appreciate showing up to a jazz show and being forced to sit through a yodelling troupe or the Polyphonic Spree because it's not what I came for.

I think perhaps the dissention here is that this might be a tough sell to a crowd that doesn't really listen to rap - just like a rap crowd doesn't really listen to rock. I'm all for bring acts on the road that might interest an audience - but when you get into entirely different genres that your core audience might not like, then yeah, you will have dissenters, and rightly so.

Palace_Hero said:
Kanye West is the best black artist since.. well in memory.

I think a few fans of the following acts might be inclined to disagree:

- Jimi Hendrix
- BB King
- Marvin Gaye
- Barry White
- Robert Johnson
- Michael Jackson (...well...:hmm: ) :wink:

...among many others.

Don't get me wrong, Kanye West is my favorite rapper by far. But to say he's the best black artist ever might be jumping the gun just a bit, no?

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I like Kanye and hope he opens in ATL.

:yes:

I would like to think that U2 fans are more open minded than most rock fans. Besides, U2 have challenged their audience in the past, so why not continue to do so? How many other artists have shared a stage with Pavarotti and Public Enemy? Someone said they'd like to see more diversity in the audience at U2 shows. Well, the ticket prices deter alot of people. Another thing to consider is that they're aren't that many black folk who listen to rock. Certainly nowhere near the % of whites who listen to rap.
Maybe U2 should take their music in another direction, one that is more appealing to different races and cultures. I would love that.
U2 are very open minded (maybe not Larry) and have shown interest in practically every part of the world. It's a shame their music doesn't represent this fact more.

I don't remember Kanye making any negative comments about U2 at the Grammys.

Let Kanye West do a few shows. The world won't end. Not all rap is like 50 Cent and Nelly.

Oh for the love of Dixie 'in memory' doesn't mean forever. Perhaps I should have squeezed in the word recent there but I didn't think the distinction was that important.

CarmelU2fan why did my comment disturb you? Why should it disturb you? How does it concern you? Chill out.

If people don't like Kanye West, thats fine, each to their own. However, I'd be upset if people disliked him because they thought he was arrogant or represented the rap scene. I fucking HATE rap (these days), I think it is utter pish, but this man is something different, unlike 50 Cent, Eminem and all the other shit since the late 90's in rap, I can actually consider West's craft as music.

And if you don't like him because he's arrogant, I hope you only like U2's music and dislike Bono because Bono has 3 times the arrogance of this man. Bono is perhaps the most arrogant rock star around, and that is saying something. I love the man regardless but to criticise KW for being arrogant yet accepting Bono is sheer hypocrisy.

LyricalDrug said:

lol no he didn't... what are you talking about...

Easy Tiger! I wasn't saying this happened for a fact but I was enquiring if this happened hence the question mark at the end of my sentence. I thought I had read something somewhere??

Now for Kanye West being an arrogant twat, I definitely stand by that. Especially after his hissy fit at the AMAs. He said after losing out to Gretchen Wilson for the Best New Artist, "I feel I was definitely robbed. I was the best new artist this year, so get that other bulls*** outta here." He then stormed out and left the show and said he would boycott the AMAs next year.

Bono's shades said:
I

Let Kanye West do a few shows. The world won't end. Not all rap is like 50 Cent and Nelly.

At least the supposedly arrogant Kayne showed up and performed at Live8.....50 Cent bailed out because he "doesn't perform for free"--if THAT isn't arrogant than I don't know what is.

I'm surprised at the strong reactions in either direction here. :shrug:

i've heard Kings of Leon something like 15 times :yuck:

I might opt to hear them again rather than Kanye West

:|

Palace_Hero said:
Oh for the love of Dixie 'in memory' doesn't mean forever. Perhaps I should have squeezed in the word recent there but I didn't think the distinction was that important.

CarmelU2fan why did my comment disturb you? Why should it disturb you? How does it concern you? Chill out.

If people don't like Kanye West, thats fine, each to their own. However, I'd be upset if people disliked him because they thought he was arrogant or represented the rap scene. I fucking HATE rap (these days), I think it is utter pish, but this man is something different, unlike 50 Cent, Eminem and all the other shit since the late 90's in rap, I can actually consider West's craft as music.

And if you don't like him because he's arrogant, I hope you only like U2's music and dislike Bono because Bono has 3 times the arrogance of this man. Bono is perhaps the most arrogant rock star around, and that is saying something. I love the man regardless but to criticise KW for being arrogant yet accepting Bono is sheer hypocrisy.

Sounds like you are the one who needs to chill out:eyebrow:

Bono 3 times as arrogant as Kanye?

You really need to learn more about Bono, dude.

Slipstream said:

Easy Tiger! I wasn't saying this happened for a fact but I was enquiring if this happened hence the question mark at the end of my sentence. I thought I had read something somewhere??

You might be thinking of Outkast? :scratch: They said at the Grammys when ATYCLB behind was nominated for Album of the Year that "U2 will probably win because they're at the end of their rope" or something to that extent.

BUT ANYWAY, I'd love to see Kanye West :up: I don't care if he's arrogant, I like the music.

Back
Top Bottom