(05-15-2006) Motorola, Mobile Firms Join Bono's Red Brand Wagon -- Reuters*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://wwwi.reuters.com/images/2006-05-15T180705Z_01_NOOTR_RTRIDSP_2_TECH-TELECOMS-MOTOROLA-RED-DC.jpg[/SIMG]
Motorola, Mobile Firms Join Bono's Red Brand Wagon

LONDON (Reuters) - Following on the heels of the RED American Express credit card, rock star Bono launched a new red mobile phone in the UK on Monday, sales of which are expected to raise hundreds of millions of dollars to fight AIDS in Africa.
The U2 singer has teamed up with the world's number two handset maker Motorola Inc., which has produced a red version of its slimline SLVR model for sale to UK consumers.

The 149-pound ($282) handset can be used on all major UK mobile networks, and will see Motorola and retailers such as Carphone Warehouse contribute 10 pounds from the sale of each phone into a global fund to fight AIDS and other diseases.

Britain's mobile operators will donate a further 5 percent of the monthly phone bill of each consumer using the red MOTOSLVR phone to the fund. Users only need to transfer their Sim card from their existing handsets to the red phone to start contributing to the fund.

"I would be very disappointed if this did not generate hundreds of millions of dollars for the global fight to fight AIDS," said Ron Garriques, president of Motorola Mobile Devices.

The Irish singer co-founded Product Red, an ambitious branding and fund-raising scheme, with former U.S. President John F. Kennedy's nephew Bobby Shriver at Davos in January this year. Gap, Giorgio Armani and Nike unit Converse have all signed up to the project.

2006-05-15T180705Z_01_NOOTR_RTRIDSP_2_TECH-TELECOMS-MOTOROLA-RED-DC.jpg

:up:

I think this whole (RED) thing is a great, great way to get people to realize that these issues are reality, and maybe people will start paying more attention to it all. Also, its great that even everytime you use the phone a percent goes to the charity. :happy:

I just can't wait 'til all this starts up in the US.

U2bpbear24 said:

I just can't wait 'til all this starts up in the US.

Yeah, I was excited to read that Bono was spotted at Gap headquarters in San Francisco. Maybe this means we can all start buying our Red shirts and such soon. I like that this campaign is targeting the average consumers, that you can support it without shelling out hundreds of dollars.

Summed up in one word, this Red campaign is simply BRILLIANT. When I heard that Bono was in SF last week I wondered which sponsor he was meeting which, which had headquarters in the Bay Area anyway. I want this phone! I wont the Converse! I want my red AmX card! I hope that these items hit the retail outlets, that there are dozens more of them and SOON!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom