(04-04-2003) Bono Confirms Lopez Duet For Charity - New York Daily News *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rockstar

fairforddemo18.jpg

shit thats weird, i just saw that picture of thom today! although, i guess that picture isnt that old.

brilliant work, dear wanderer.

now thats spending time wisely if not for the dollars and cents, the pounds and pents (?).

ahem.

I haven't read this entire thread,
but I hope it didn't take you to page 9 before posting a Thom pic

I just don't see the point in doing the duet with J.Lo... I don't buy the "because it will sell like hell"-argument. I think it would sell just as much if Bono teamed up with someone who were musically talented like him and wrote a really good song. Sure, it would take a lot more harder work than to release a mediocre (at best) with J.Lo, but why take the easy way out? It seems so lazy.
I wanna feel there's some effort behind the song if I was to buy it.

U2FReAk said:
I just don't see the point in doing the duet with J.Lo... I don't buy the "because it will sell like hell"-argument. I think it would sell just as much if Bono teamed up with someone who were musically talented like him and wrote a really good song. Sure, it would take a lot more harder work than to release a mediocre (at best) with J.Lo, but why take the easy way out? It seems so lazy.
I wanna feel there's some effort behind the song if I was to buy it.

i couldnt agree more.

The Wanderer said:
it appears U2 fans have sold out, making excuses for garbage like this

could you fucking imagine Bono doing a duet a decade ago during the height of Zoo TV with some knucklehead like Latoya Jackson, Paula Abdul or Samatha Fox?

how about 5 years ago with Ginger Spice?

let's see, before Bono and U2 were doing duets and collaborating with badasses like Luciano Pavorroti, Willie Nelson, Frank Sinatra, Lou Reed, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, B.B. King and Sinead O'Conner... now we have Wyclef Jean, Andrea Corr and J. Lo. :huh:

1) I didn't make excuses, and I didn't sell out as a U2 fan. I was simply presenting a different view than yours

2) Bono may not have done any duets with pop stars during ZooTV, but he did some in the 80s, again for various causes (Band Aid, etc)

3) You've contradicted yourself: First you say that he wouldn't have sung with someone like Ginger Spice 5 years ago, and then you say "now we have Wyclef Jean" doing duets with him. Uhm, actually, Bono sang with Wyclef Jean almost 5 years ago!! It was right after Popmart, a tour that supported a record that you liked, back when U2 hadn't "sold out".

4) What is wrong with Wyclef Jean anyway? He's highly respected in the music community; he's talented and used to be a part of one the greatest hip hop bands ever. 'Gone Till November' is extraordinary.

5 years ago Ginger Spice probably wouldn't have done a duet with Bono for a charity single because Bono wasn't regarded cool enough back then

if you want to get teenagers involved in charity causes J. Lo isn't a bad choice no matter who much she sucks as a singer

Wanderer: apparently she isn't cool to the right people. I meant underground bands as in those who aren't into the whole media coverage/fame aspect. (Radiohead or Pearl Jam for example - who both have been known to like and respect U2 if I'm not mistaken)

U2Freak: I see what you mean, but in a way dueting with someone from the pop (mainstream if you want) world is harder than to pick someone from rock, because automatically you get backlash for that. I mean, Bono is getting trashed for this on a U2 fan forum - imagine what those who don't even like U2 will do.

The Wanderer said:
it appears U2 fans have sold out, making excuses for garbage like this

could you fucking imagine Bono doing a duet a decade ago during the height of Zoo TV with some knucklehead like Latoya Jackson, Paula Abdul or Samatha Fox?

how about 5 years ago with Ginger Spice?

let's see, before Bono and U2 were doing duets and collaborating with badasses like Luciano Pavorroti, Willie Nelson, Frank Sinatra, Lou Reed, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, B.B. King and Sinead O'Conner... now we have Wyclef Jean, Andrea Corr and J. Lo. :huh:

Calm down. Bono just started developing taste for women:wink:

three husbands in fives years - laughable
singing songs you didnt write - tasteless
singing a song with bono because your hoping to cash in, in the end - priceless

do i sleep alone? no, actually me and wanderer share a bed. what makes you ask?

i thought there were supposed to be no personal attacks in this thread? too bad, i like it better this way. bring it on.

if your upset about me making fun of jennifer lopez, i suggest you go for a walk.

Gickies Gageeze said:
if your upset about me making fun of jennifer lopez, i suggest you go for a walk.

Hey, I'm not saying I've never made jokes about J-Lo before, either.

Basically, just the "skank" part bugged me-it's just a personal pet peeve of mine whenever people call a girl a "ho" or a "slut" or a "skank" or a "whore" or things along that line because of who they're with or what they wear or things like that. Yeah, she's had three husbands, and yeah, she wears some rather revealing clothing, but...I just still hate it when people call a girl that kind of thing based solely on that stuff.

Especially considering that most common Americans also can have three spouses within a short period of time, too-why don't we make fun of them as well?

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
[Especially considering that most common Americans also can have three spouses within a short period of time, too-why don't we make fun of them as well?

Angela [/B]

My best friends mom finally found happiness with her 3rd husband, I hope its the same way with Ben and J-Lo.

GICKIES, THIS IS FOR YOU.

ZUA13975972.jpg

edited to say that this topic is getting boring:yawn: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:

Hey, I'm not saying I've never made jokes about J-Lo before, either.

Basically, just the "skank" part bugged me-it's just a personal pet peeve of mine whenever people call a girl a "ho" or a "slut" or a "skank" or a "whore" or things along that line because of who they're with or what they wear or things like that. Yeah, she's had three husbands, and yeah, she wears some rather revealing clothing, but...I just still hate it when people call a girl that kind of thing based solely on that stuff.

Especially considering that most common Americans also can have three spouses within a short period of time, too-why don't we make fun of them as well?

Angela

"most common americans also have three spouses within a short period of time"

i may be canadian, i may be ugly, and i may be an ugly canadian, but i am NOT stupid. that is complete bullshit, i dont know where you got that stat from.

you also said "i just hate it when people call a girl that kind of thing (a skank) based SOLELY on that stuff."

well excuse me, what other requirements need to be met before a woman can be called a skank? i think shes pretty much got her bases covered! have you seen her videos? have you seen her pictures?

Gickies Gageeze said:
well excuse me, what other requirements need to be met before a woman can be called a skank? i think shes pretty much got her bases covered! have you seen her videos? have you seen her pictures? [/B]

um... whats wrong with her clothes? I dont see anything skanky about them.

ZZFM15001539.jpg
UT0135917.jpg

UT0071165.jpg
UT0124787.jpg

Last edited:
Gickies Gageeze said:
oh get real spanisheyes, you know exactly what clothes im talking about.

No not really.

Are you talking about an outfit like this
UP954584.jpg

Or like this
FT0071014.jpg

I still dont see anything wrong with the way she dresses. I dont like everything she wears, but I havent seen her wear anything that deserves for her to be called a skank.

The Wanderer said:
and how did you like that song with Wyclef Jean, Michael?
Don't change the subject. The sticking point, as you had presented it anyway, was Wyclef himself, not the song that he later wrote with Bono. And my point is that Wyclef (again not 'New Day') is an amazing artist, and well respected. My other point is that he did that duet almost 5 years ago, around about the time that you said he wouldn't have done such a thing. Touch?. :sexywink:

not 5 years ago...

and besides, the song was crap, just as Wyclef has become in his later years

he was a great artist, was...

did you see those nips, michael???

Um... I read the original post and nowhere did it say that it was an official statement from Bono to the press. Just what Bono reportedly told to his pals, which is not the same thing. Whether it's good or bad news, I prefer to stay sceptical until the rock solid proof shows up, like the Amazon pre-order or downloadable song.

Last edited:
OK, from MrBrau's list...

Wyclef Jean - aye, was a great artist but the operative word is he was an artist at some stage!
BB King - legend
Johnny Cash - legend
Mick Jagger & Keith Richards - legends
Michael Stipe - contemporary
Chris Martin - ehh
Willie Nelson - little cheesy but still a legend
Bob Dylan - legend
Sinead O'Connor - makes Irish sense
Gavin Friday - good mates
Christy Moore - highly regarded
Robbie Robertson - legend
Lou Reed - legend
Luciano Pavarotti - worthy crossover
Do They Know Its Christmas Time? - yeah lots of artists, but they were all really doing it for Bob Geldoff and in that context it makes sense
What's Goin On - charity + a great, great song
Michael Hutchence - friends/contemporaries/posthumous

Now for Jennifer Lopez - I'm sorry, but I can't really find a decent justification for this. Putting it all down to charity is bullshit, charity is a business, and just because 'its for charity' doesnt give it a clean slate, the main purpose served by it all in reality is publicity for the artists contributing, and that is what will reflect badly on Bono. With the position of A-list popularity he's enjoying right now he really could've got anyone.

As for musical snobbery, what the hell is this? We're meant to be discerning music lovers. U2 is meant to be a rock band, not some great bloody junket for all manner of causes and hangers on to latch onto when needed. Some of the negative responses here have bordered on hysterics (bear ;)), but I can understand them, really I can.

Gickies Gageeze said:
i may be canadian, i may be ugly, and i may be an ugly canadian, but i am NOT stupid. that is complete bullshit, i dont know where you got that stat from.

I dunno, perhaps from the idea that the divorce rate is over 50% in this country and there are people out there that get married ample times over?

It happens. Trust me. I know people out there who have more stepparents than they can count.

Or, if these people don't marry many times over, they've divorced and then had tons of girlfriends or boyfriends.

See, you are Canadian, as you said, so you may not have known that the divorce rate here in America is high. I don't know what it's like where you live, but that's how it is here in America. Marriage is not something a lot of people treasure anymore.

Originally posted by Gickles Gageeze
you also said "i just hate it when people call a girl that kind of thing (a skank) based SOLELY on that stuff."

well excuse me, what other requirements need to be met before a woman can be called a skank? i think shes pretty much got her bases covered! have you seen her videos? have you seen her pictures?

I'm sorry, but your clothing should not determine whether or not you are a skank. Your clothing is not proof of how your sex life is.

Angela

Gickies Gageeze said:
i thought there were supposed to be no personal attacks in this thread? too bad, i like it better this way. bring it on.

No personal attacks? Well, who started with comments like "U2 fans sold out" or "quit justifying this" or "I actually have standards" (as opposed to those with different opinions) or calling J. Lo a skank and talking about her private life or the way she dresses? (oh how related to the music we're supposed to talk about. calling women "skank" just for the way they dress is one step away from saying it's their fault if they get raped.)

Talking about her like that makes as much sense as the people who say Bono is a dork for wearing sunglasses, for example.

I thought New day was a nice song, I liked it better than most rap/hip hop stuff out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom