(01-07-04) Bush to Boost AIDS Funding, but not Enough for Some -- Reuters *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bush to Boost AIDS Funding, but not Enough for Some

By Adam Entous

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush plans to propose $2.7 billion in his fiscal 2005 budget for AIDS initiatives, disappointing some activists who had hoped for a bigger commitment, people involved in the deliberations said on Tuesday.

White House budget officials declined to comment on the AIDS figure. They said no final decisions had been made on next year's budget, which is expected to be sent to Congress on Feb. 2 and limit the growth of discretionary programs to between 3 and 4 percent, excluding spending on defense and homeland security.

A surprise priority in last year's State of the Union address, Bush pledged $15 billion to help combat HIV/AIDS in Africa and the Caribbean -- effectively tripling U.S. spending over five years.

He touted the initiative during a July visit to Africa, where almost 30 million people live with the disease, including 3 million children under the age of 15.

At $2.7 billion, the 2005 budget request would top the $2.4 billion expected to be approved by Congress for the current fiscal year. The White House had sought closer to $2 billion -- prompting "a good old row" between the president and Irish rock star Bono, who founded an advocacy group for issues affecting Africa.

Some AIDS activists accused the president of not living up to his State of the Union commitment. They hoped for at least $3 billion in Bush's 2005 budget and said Congress had authorized up to $3.6 billion.

Democratic presidential hopeful Howard Dean has pledged $30 billion -- twice as much as Bush -- for the fight against AIDS by 2008.

White House aides said Bush held back his support for providing $3 billion a year because of concerns a system was not yet in place to use the money effectively.

"President Bush made the largest single upfront commitment in history for an international health initiative involving a specific disease and his budgets are going to continue to reflect that commitment," an administration official said.

The United States already faces record budget deficits expected to top $500 billion this fiscal year alone.

Activists said more money was needed now to fight AIDS.

"In the face of that kind of an emergency, we've got to front-load the funding to respond. It is not something that we should be scaling up slowly. I don't think it ($2.7 billion) is an adequate response," said Joanne Carter, legislative director of RESULTS, a grass-roots health advocacy organization.

Bush's AIDS initiative calls for providing anti-viral treatment to HIV people in Africa and the Caribbean who cannot afford it. It would also help children who have lost one or both parents and work toward prevention with programs aimed at sexual abstinence, education and promotion of condom use.

I'm surprised Bush is keeping his word at all on spending money to fight AIDS in Africa. But hey, it's still early. Bush still has time to lie about helping fight AIDS.
(Talk about the dumbing down of America. It's succeeded. According to the lastest poll, Bush would win the election. )

As much as I support the AIDS assistance for Africa, Bush is systematically bankrupting this country with his reckless spending on other ridiculous programs like Missile Defense, and Tax Cuts for The Wealthy, not to mention that 87 Billion for that Country he blew up.
However I really don't expect Bush to follow through on his promise for Africa. However he could surprise me, 4 billion is just chump change to him.

Bush is coming through for the world

It's great to see that Bush is giving money to help fight AIDS. Bush is beloved in Africa, and the continent of Africa will not forget who gave them billions to save their own people

Iraq will also not forget who is responsible for removing Saddam. When it comes to human rights violations in the world, Saddam was pretty much at the top of the list.

The women of Afghanistan are also praising Bush for being liberated from a government that violated their human rights.

It's great to see that Bush is leading the world into a new day, that he's leaving the antiquated and corrupt United Nations behind, and he's fighting for human rights all over the world, I hope he continues this trend during his second term.

Last edited:
Re: Bush is coming through for the world

U2LipstickBoy said:
It's great to see that Bush is giving money to help fight AIDS. Bush is beloved in Africa, and the continent of Africa will not forget who gave them billions to save their own people

Iraq will also not forget who is responsible for removing Saddam. When it comes to human rights violations in the world, Saddam was pretty much at the top of the list.

The women of Afghanistan are also praising Bush for being liberated from a government that violated their human rights.

It's great to see that Bush is leading the world into a new day, that he's leaving the antiquated and corrupt United Nations behind, and he's fighting for human rights all over the world, I hope he continues this trend during his second term.

I'm waiting for the punchline.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom