So Does Anyone Wanna Place Any Bets on the New RHMT Vocal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, I've always supported the band and understood that they wanted to be huge...and appreciated the fine line they've always walked when balancing the business side of things and their art. They've crossed it several times and played with fire in that way. But this is just too much.

I can't believe I'm about to type this and I never thought I would say this but...

U2 HAS SOLD OUT.

Now why would I be "chill" about such a thing after having supported them passionately for decades?

I'm sure people will tell me to leave the board and why even still follow them then? The truth is I will always follow this band no matter what they do.

But this is insanity.

Last edited:
What have they done?

In essence, they went against the principles they have always stood for by touring behind an album they made 30 years ago in a desperate bid for relevance.

This is a "cash grab" plain and simple. Instead of releasing their new material, they now cower in fear that they might have struck the wrong chord and take this pathetic opportunistic approach instead.

I, for one, won't be buying their latest re-release which includes yet another incomplete concert and what will surely be lame remixes. At least they had the decency to make the black cover white. To me, it symbolizes the bizarro mindset they now have.

To those who have attacked me for expressing myself on this board as of late - don't worry. I'll stop posting for a while soon so the people who want to live in fantasy land can have their JT retread party in peace.

Last edited:
Ugh. So torn. Stick around to watch what will surely become on epic interference flame out, or back away from the tin-foil hat brigade and live my life?

Option B, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Ugh. So torn. Stick around to watch what will surely become on epic interference flame out, or back away from the tin-foil hat brigade and live my life?

Option B, thanks.

Hopefully that means you'll stop replying since you're not contributing anything informative or useful to the thread!

I don't mind being disputed if someone actually has a point. Ignorant and baseless attacks are irritating (of course). Or is that an assumption too? Maybe in your world those are good things?

You know, I've always supported the band and understood that they wanted to be huge...and appreciated the fine line they've always walked when balancing the business side of things and their art. They've crossed it several times and played with fire in that way. But this is just too much.

I can't believe I'm about to type this and I never thought I would say this but...

U2 HAS SOLD OUT.

Now why would I be "chill" about such a thing after having supported them passionately for decades?

I'm sure people will tell me to leave the board and why even still follow them then? The truth is I will always follow this band no matter what they do.

But this is insanity.

Not to pick at you, but the bold headline "U2 HAS SOLD OUT" does seem a bit funny to me. Sure, you mention that they have crossed the line in the past. But i don't see how this particular instance is the straw that broke the camels back.

Looking back to PoP and PoPmart, and all of the irony that went on with that project, and then the direction that u2 took after that tour was wrapped up, i mean i guess if one wanted to accuse them of selling out, it must have started somewhere in the late 1990s.

The first 'Best of' was released in 98, and then 2000 gave us the supposed "return to form" with ATYCLB, and of course in 2002 they played the Super Bowl and followed that with another 'Best of'. And then we had the ipod, u218, 360 Tour, etc.

The deal with the devil, if that's what this is, happened a long time ago. Just embrace it man, you can only fight fire with fire, and the meat is only raw for a short time, once it's cooked we can still find some pink in the middle if they do it right.

Not to pick at you, but the bold headline "U2 HAS SOLD OUT" does seem a bit funny to me. Sure, you mention that they have crossed the line in the past. But i don't see how this particular instance is the straw that broke the camels back.

Looking back to PoP and PoPmart, and all of the irony that went on with that project, and then the direction that u2 took after that tour was wrapped up, i mean i guess if one wanted to accuse them of selling out, it must have started somewhere in the late 1990s.

The first 'Best of' was released in 98, and then 2000 gave us the supposed "return to form" with ATYCLB, and of course in 2002 they played the Super Bowl and followed that with another 'Best of'. And then we had the ipod, u218, 360 Tour, etc.

The deal with the devil, if that's what this is, happened a long time ago. Just embrace it man, you can only fight fire with fire, and the meat is only raw for a short time, once it's cooked we can still find some pink in the middle if they do it right.

I appreciate your level headed analogy. With this move, however, I think the meat has now become rotten.

ANYWAYS.... back on topic....

Based on what I read at U2songs, only the verses were re-recorded for this remix. And I think on the tour, U2 will probably play the song in a different key, similar to how Still Haven't Found isn't in the original key when they play it live.

i thought "sell out" stopped being an insult to bands some time around 1996.

Yes, U2 helped change the definition.

You tell me, what does this move stand for if not solely being a "cash grab" and a desperate bid for relevance.

How does it inspire you apart from the nostalgia aspect? What bold and honest stand is it taking? I can't find one.

They are "out of touch" and Bono has, factually, recently admitted to asking himself if that was the case.

Yes, U2 helped change the definition.

You tell me, what does this move stand for if not solely being a "cash grab" and a desperate bid for relevance.

How does it inspire you apart from the nostalgia aspect? What bold and honest stand is it taking? I can't find one.

They are "out of touch" and Bono has, factually, recently admitted to asking himself if that was the case.

show us on the doll where the bad man touched you, son.

feltalive-bono-c1.jpg

show us on the doll where the bad man touched you, son.

feltalive-bono-c1.jpg

YES! The first funny dig!

I thought it was going to be all elementary school name calling and character attacks!

Thanks for the laugh :applaud:

To some of the trolls: something actually has to be funny to be comical.

Maybe update your material?

Last edited:
ANYWAYS.... back on topic....

Based on what I read at U2songs, only the verses were re-recorded for this remix. And I think on the tour, U2 will probably play the song in a different key, similar to how Still Haven't Found isn't in the original key when they play it live.

Do you think this will be the same remix listed on the 30th anniversary JT or do you think it might be a different track?

Do you think this will be the same remix listed on the 30th anniversary JT or do you think it might be a different track?

I'm not following.... are you asking is the version Bono re-recorded vocals for the same as the Lillywhite remix on the 30th anniversary deluxe edition?

I don't see why there would be another new version of a 30 year old song that the band his hiding from us when they've already announced the 30th anniversary track listings.

You know, I posted in this thread before without actually reading the rest of it. Now that I have....

I hope U2 really fucks the song up so that redhill has a total conniption. I can't wait to see it :up:

This single really is only going to exist so Bono can have a much easier version to sing to point towards. The thing that makes me really hopeful though is that if they're going to essentially re-record his vocal so they can do a "faithful" version live, then it means the album's other rarities should be getting the full treatment to sound like they did on record/tour thirty years ago.

Because, if they really didn't give a shit, they would just have Bono talk through all the RHMT lyrics while Edge plays an acoustic and Larry takes a dump backstage. Getting as faithful a version of Joshua Tree 30 years later with a less difficult RHMT vocal would be fantastic as nobody could really expect him to hit the highs of that chorus if it couldn't do so back in 1987.

I think what we have to worry about more, perhaps, are the usual aging war horses. Streets was terrible on the last tour. Bad, yes, sucked. One was pretty godawful, etc. I'd say the 360 tour was the first where Bono really started shouting more than singing (listen to the fan club double disc if you don't believe me) and it's clear now that his vocals aren't really capable anymore. That's fine. I just want more enthusiasm in the instrumentation/stage performance from everyone as some of these songs are sounding really, really tired.

This single really is only going to exist so Bono can have a much easier version to sing to point towards. The thing that makes me really hopeful though is that if they're going to essentially re-record his vocal so they can do a "faithful" version live, then it means the album's other rarities should be getting the full treatment to sound like they did on record/tour thirty years ago.

Because, if they really didn't give a shit, they would just have Bono talk through all the RHMT lyrics while Edge plays an acoustic and Larry takes a dump backstage. Getting as faithful a version of Joshua Tree 30 years later with a less difficult RHMT vocal would be fantastic as nobody could really expect him to hit the highs of that chorus if it couldn't do so back in 1987.

I think what we have to worry about more, perhaps, are the usual aging war horses. Streets was terrible on the last tour. Bad, yes, sucked. One was pretty godawful, etc. I'd say the 360 tour was the first where Bono really started shouting more than singing (listen to the fan club double disc if you don't believe me) and it's clear now that his vocals aren't really capable anymore. That's fine. I just want more enthusiasm in the instrumentation/stage performance from everyone as some of these songs are sounding really, really tired.

Hard to argue with any of this

Back
Top Bottom