Thoughts after watching opening night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm only going to use my phone for taking pictures, videos, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and Tinder during the show. Some of the people out there are crazy though and go overboard with much more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to bed after Cedarwood Road but from what I saw it looked incredible. Amazing to see it on someone's phone/hear it live on the radio, that still blows me away. Even 4 years after watching/listening to the Sao Paulo gig with the same phone/radio setup.

I honestly agree with some that this set was, as someone put it "normal songs"+picks from SOI. That's not a bad thing as such, but I definitely hope once they've got into the swing of touring for them (they were definitely nervous) they'll feel comfortable bringing out some more 'curveballs'.

I still can't wait to see them in London, whatever they play! Visually it looks fantastic, and why anyone would reserve a spot in a line 3 days in advance to not get to see that screen is beyond me.

Oh, the "revised" spoken part in Bullet was a bit lame if I'm honest. Tying it in with the theme of the show or not, I didn't enjoy it at all but obviously if he's there spouting it on stage, he'll have done it in rehearsals for weeks and none of the other guys stopped him, so guess I'll have to make peace with the fact I'll hear it in some form for four nights soon :wink:

Really surprised that One is not in the setlist. Any sign of the One campaign signs in the arena to promote it? Maybe it's a political thing? The One campaign has been ripped by many people since the 360 tour ended.

I saw that they did the (RED) campaign video before Streets, so he is still pushing that. Tomorrow will be the 12th anniversary of Bono starting the One campaign, it's just odd that he isn't promoting the campaign during the show (i wasn't there, correct me if he did mention and promote it).

I know people are saying they can't play it because Bono can't play guitar. If they really wanted to include it for the message and to promote the campaign, they could at least do an acoustic version of One.

Oh, the "revised" spoken part in Bullet was a bit lame if I'm honest. Tying it in with the theme of the show or not, I didn't enjoy it at all but obviously if he's there spouting it on stage, he'll have done it in rehearsals for weeks and none of the other guys stopped him, so guess I'll have to make peace with the fact I'll hear it in some form for four nights soon :wink:

In person I thought it was cool. It added to the intensity of the song and was something new to it. It worked.

Really surprised that One is not in the setlist. Any sign of the One campaign signs in the arena to promote it? Maybe it's a political thing? The One campaign has been ripped by many people since the 360 tour ended.

I saw that they did the (RED) campaign video before Streets, so he is still pushing that. Tomorrow will be the 12th anniversary of Bono starting the One campaign, it's just odd that he isn't promoting the campaign during the show (i wasn't there, correct me if he did mention and promote it).

I know people are saying they can't play it because Bono can't play guitar. If they really wanted to include it for the message and to promote the campaign, they could at least do an acoustic version of One.

People were out and about selling the ONE braclets. Let's not forget it was only the first show. I thin we'd all be incredibly naive to think One doesn't show up in the set or that the campaign isn't mentioned this tour. If I was to guess I'd even say I bet One is performed tonight.

I should add that I don't consider it a BAD setlist! Full band Desire and The Sweetest Thing(!!) are great additions, and I've always wanted to hear both. I think I got too used to seeing surprises like Zooropa (which NEEDS to get played in Europe) and so on that my first instinct upon seeing a band doing an understandably cautious setlist when playing the first gig of the bloody tour is "...oh." so I feel bad for that, but I'm sure once the tour goes on they'll be peppering little surprises that keep all of us fusspots here more than happy :wink:

Yeah, you're probably right. But they weren't rehearsing One much either in advance of opening night. I would've thought the message of One fit perfect for opening night and what Larry had just gone through. Probably tonight.

I don't think it has anything to do with a political thing, or whether or not Bono can play light chords on guitar - his guitar sound is hardly going to be the x factor in choosing to do a song acoustically, imo. They can easily do it without him, and I believe they will. I think it will end up being an every night song, even. Can't see them turning their backs on it. Way too important a song for the band, regardless of what a few on fan forums think.

I'm only going to use my phone for taking pictures, videos, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and Tinder during the show. Some of the people out there are crazy though and go overboard with much more than that.

I hope to reach Angry Birds' final level before the encore.

Yeah, you're probably right. But they weren't rehearsing One much either in advance of opening night. I would've thought the message of One fit perfect for opening night and what Larry had just gone through. Probably tonight.

The lead in to COBL made it seem that One was typically going to be played next. It was incredibly refreshing to hear the intro to COBL rather than One after hearing Steven hawking talk about the world coming together as ONE

Is this a subtle throwback to the "hooking up at a U2 show" idea?

Maybe meerkat yourself showering for the concert, post on Tinder, meetups at the show?

I'm old tho, so I've probably underestimated how easily/seamlessly this all could work.

It would probably be rather easy for me to hook up at a show at this point even without Tinder...especially since I started wearing really tight jeans and wearing button downs half open.

Based on this article, it should be played tonight.

I know it's early days and people don't really want it but am surprised they appear to have ditched miracle drug

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Have we already discussed how odd it was that Invisible and Real Thing were played in the screen-prison? Those are some songs where the band does not need barriers.

Save the screen-prison for the Zooropa and Your Blue Room performances. :wink:

Have we already discussed how odd it was that Invisible and Real Thing were played in the screen-prison? Those are some songs where the band does not need barriers.

Save the screen-prison for the Zooropa and Your Blue Room performances. :wink:

I was there, and the band inside the screen worked GREAT. This is completely different than the screen on 360.

Back
Top Bottom