The old, lazy, wealthy man's tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Odds are NYC 8 will have something unusual in the encore... but it could just be Vertigo x2.

Popmart 4 (Buenos Aires/Santiago)
Elevation Tour 2 (Miami)
Vertigo Tour 7 (Dublin x 3, Live 8, Santiago, Buenos Aires x 2)
360° 6 (NJ x 2, Santiago, Buenos Aires x 3)

19 so far...

IE Tour I've got tickets for all Barcelona shows. (Barcelona x 4)

:)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Boy Tour- ZOO TV: 0 (not yet conceived)
PopMart: 0 (2 years old at the time)
Elevation: 0 (6 years old)
Vertigo: 0 (10 years old)
360: 1, Seattle
I+E: 2, Vancouver 1 and 2

I'm really sad that most of U2's career occurred at a time when I wasn't alive.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I feel a bit sad for you because on the flip side, i feel extremely happy and blessed that i've been on this ride with them for my entire life. I occasionally think about "what if i were born in the 1820s". I never would have heard their music...the soundtrack to my life....

Enjoy the shows...

Odds are NYC 8 will have something unusual in the encore... but it could just be Vertigo x2.

Yea maybe. You would certainly hope so.

When all's said and done I'll probably get tickets for nyc 8 just because I'll be too tempted not to. But I really hope they rotate those set lists this time around and just surprise us with songs on a nightly basis.

I'm not expecting it, but damn it that would be great.

Yea maybe. You would certainly hope so.

When all's said and done I'll probably get tickets for nyc 8 just because I'll be too tempted not to. But I really hope they rotate those set lists this time around and just surprise us with songs on a nightly basis.

I'm not expecting it, but damn it that would be great.

Troof !

I think there will be some setlist variation, but not what Bono's quote that U2.com has been peddling for 6 months would lead some to believe/hope for. But when they play 8 nights in NYC there is no way they don't throw something cool in here and there, just a question of which shows. Their standard motus operandi will be the first show (or pair in this case) will be the basic boiler plate show and any mixing will be later in a "residency", so the cities with only 2 shows may not get anything too extraordinary, but LA, Chicago, Boston, Montreal and NYC could get some decent surprises during the latter shows of the stands. (similar in Europe in the fall)

But lets remember that they aren't Pearl Jam or Bruce, so these "surprises" will likely amount to 2 or 3 songs at most on any given night.

i think the static setlists on Popmart/ZooTV/360 was more due to the size of the production -- it's hard to be spontaneous with all those big corresponding visuals to worry about.

we got much more variety on Vertigo, so i would expect the same thing this time around.

that said, they usually try and structure their concerts so there's a natural build throughout the second hour, and the running order of those songs is probably important to them because they've planned it out to have a deliberate emotional effect -- i.e. the Elevation setlist was basically foreplay for the orgasm of "Streets," that was the lift-off that they wanted to achieve. i've seen Bruce about a half-dozen times, and while his shows are longer, they also sprawl and can lose focus, like the last time i saw him. that said, the best concert i've ever seen was in late 2009 when he was playing full albums, and he did the entire Born to Run album. i think that kind of tight focus really helped, and the result was basically 3.25 hours of total awesomeness, and they still had enough to keep throwing random songs at the end of the set.

so i think there's a happy medium.

8 nights should mean a lot of different songs, but the problem is they didn't sell it as a residency OR as shows "A & B" - they just sold it as 8 concerts.

Exactly, they're haven't really committed to anything just said they wanted to try shaking it up from night 1 to 2. I guess not explicitly selling it as A+B gigs was lucky for them with Bono's accident.

For all we know, before that they may have actually MEANT it and planned an intense rehearsal schedule over a months to have a stack of songs actually playable and ready to play whenever they liked. Guess we won't find out til the first handful of gigs are out the way.

Perhaps they considered it when booking the tour, though? Put on 6-8 gigs in one city, meaning no constant travelling and lots of time to just rehearse with the gear/stage just sat in the arena between shows?

Exactly, they're haven't really committed to anything just said they wanted to try shaking it up from night 1 to 2. I guess not explicitly selling it as A+B gigs was lucky for them with Bono's accident.

For all we know, before that they may have actually MEANT it and planned an intense rehearsal schedule over a months to have a stack of songs actually playable and ready to play whenever they liked. Guess we won't find out til the first handful of gigs are out the way.

Perhaps they considered it when booking the tour, though? Put on 6-8 gigs in one city, meaning no constant travelling and lots of time to just rehearse with the gear/stage just sat in the arena between shows?

I really wonder if Bono's inability to remember lyrics actually has something to do with why they never try

Joshua Tree - Failed to convince parents that I should miss school, fly home and attend a show. All on their dime too.
Zoo Era - University era me was young and dumb. Money for beer, dates and clubbing, not for shows. I should of attended at least 1 of 3 that were easy to reach.
Popmart - Cancelled tickets for a show. Didn't feel like driving 6+ hours and I wasn't sold on the album.

Elevation - 1 (2001 seat)
Vertigo - 2 ( 2005 seat/GA)
360 - 2 ( 2009 GA/ 2011 RedZone)

I&E - 2 (GA/GA)

So, I didn't make it to my 1st show until I was almost 30. Crazy. A tinge of regret for not attending Popmart when I had the tickets, but so glad Elevation ended up being the cherry popper. Loved the arena setting and the urgency that this band had something to prove at this stage of their career.
By the time I hit the floor for the 1st time on my 3rd U2 show/2nd Vertigo (and won ellipse entry), I made up my mind that there was no going back to seats.
The sound on 360 was beyond belief. I wasn't looking forward to stadiums very much. So glad that the technology reached a point where the sound was a good as any arena show in past. Having said this, I'm beyond excited to get back to the arena floor now. Having 1800-2000 people around me instead of 8000-10000 is going to feel like attending a club gig. I hope 2016 brings more shows.

I was married with 1 baby by the time I started seeing U2 live. I'm still married (its magic that she puts up with me), but now I'm with 12 & 14 year olds. The youngest likes U2, but the oldest loves them. The oldest will attend her 1st U2 show opening night with me and maybe the 2nd night if she doesn't scream too much and annoy me (I'm only joking... a little). She was supposed to attend 360, but things got complicated/busy for her.
I'll be 44 when I see them next. And honestly, 44 me could kick the ass of 29 me any day. Not that 29 me was unfit at all. I was always in slightly better than average health. At 36, my mother's death (61) would have such a profound impact on my life. It wasn't enough to be okay. From then on, I would have to be much better than okay. Her last gift to me, it seems, has been this self-realization for the importance of health, and with it, happiness. No, I'm not all "my body is a temple" crazy. I could never give up the beer and bad foods. But everything in moderation. Weekday discipline is a licence for weekend permissiveness. An 80/20 split between health and excess. This has pretty much been my code for almost the past decade. So, no. Not lazy.

but if he's stuck behind a teleprompter he won't get to do this

bono-running-o.gif

Honestly though this only further proves that U2 should have partnered with Google instead of Apple.

Picture it... Bono branded Google Glass complete with built in teleprompter, so he can prance all over the stage and sing any song they want!

When I saw them for Vertigo in October 2005, Bono mangled a number of songs. It was the first time that I'd seen them where I was pissed off at their performance. The majority of the show was fine, though. I had seen them earlier that year in May and Bono didn't seem to have as many problems.

Popmart 4 (Buenos Aires/Santiago)
Elevation Tour 2 (Miami)
Vertigo Tour 7 (Dublin x 3, Live 8, Santiago, Buenos Aires x 2)
360° 6 (NJ x 2, Santiago, Buenos Aires x 3)

19 so far...

IE Tour I've got tickets for all Barcelona shows. (Barcelona x 4)

:)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Hola!
¿Que opinas de los shows de Santiago?
El 98 increíble y el 2006 un cañón. 2011 ahí no más. (según yo, claro)

Tengo una amiga argentina que va a Barcelona también :D

:wave:

Bono needs some "Teleprompter reading acting lessons" from Bruce Springsteen, the master of that art

hqdefault.jpg

Old: Yes
Lazy: Getting There
Wealthy: Getting There

Joshua Tree: 1 outdoor
ZooTV: 3 (1 indoor, 2 outdoor)
Popmart: 1
Elevation: 2
Vertigo: 2
360: 1
I+E: 1

So that will be 11...

When Axver mentioned Vertigox2 I just gagged and threw up in my mouth. I thought I had permanently forgotten about that.

Regarding the teleprompter, if the stage is actually that long they will have to just project the lyrics down on the stage wherever Bono is.

Just to push this thread into total absurdity, I will ONLY be happy on this tour if I hear them play Red Hill Mining Town

X2.

When Axver mentioned Vertigox2 I just gagged and threw up in my mouth. I thought I had permanently forgotten about that.

Haha sorry about that. I feel sorry for everybody who got robbed of hearing 40 by a song they had already heard about two hours previously.

Personally I'm gunning for Womanfish x3 on this tour. If they aren't game to do that, they should just quit.

Historically U2 have always been fixated by on touring in the US and ignoring basically all other markets other then Western Europe. Which was how it used to be in the 80's. The US was the biggest market and if you wanted to make it big that was where you had to be. Events like the European common market and the fall of Communism seemed to have gone largely unnoticed by U2 and their management. With the odd foray to Australia, New Zealand and Japan, the average tour seemed to consist to doing a spring tour through the US, whipping up demand for a major fall tour, then race through Western Europe for doing some stadium shows, then return to the US to do the lion share of their shows.

It wasn't until Popmart that they finally began to discover there were places on the globe then the US and Western Europe. Of course that tour bled money due to the insane over the top theatrics so that quickly cured them of that discovery so they were back to doing just the US and Western Europe for Elevation and most of the Vertigo tour. I'm happy for fans in other places that they went outside of their comfort zone during the 360 tour. I can understand them not going to China, due to them being at odds with the ruling party there, but countries like India, Indonesia and the Philippines have large untapped markets, while South Korea is a fully developed 1st world country. And I know that Dubai hosts rock festivals that draws in people from all over the Middle East, including Iran. Surely there are more countries in Latin America alone then just Mexico, Brazil, Chile and Argentina to play in. And why did it take until 2010 for them to finally go to Turkey and Russia? And why is almost all of Eastern Europe basically still virgin territory to them?

Back
Top Bottom