June 24, 2011 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin, i am sure that if you put U2 and Bob together you can join the dots....

:lol:

well, i am off to watch the tennis now.
if i hear of anything else about tonight i will post here asap

329315968.jpg

First U2 fans in line que'd all night 4 #U2Glasto

That's Vic!

Link doesn't work for me :hmm: Vic cracks me up

Based on the vids from YouTube, this show was a smash hit. It was one of the most passionate performances I have ever seen U2 play. The crowd, not a "U2 crowd" but more of a festival crowd, sang along very loudly to almost all of the songs.....more so than any other U2 show I have watched. I must say it was a truly EPIC performance.

Based on the vids from YouTube, this show was a smash hit. It was one of the most passionate performances I have ever seen U2 play. The crowd, not a "U2 crowd" but more of a festival crowd, sang along very loudly to almost all of the songs.....more so than any other U2 show I have watched. I must say it was a truly EPIC performance.

QFT! :up: They have bugger all to "prove" to U2 fans at a concert. Here they went out with the attitude of kiss my ass :cute: and boy did they shut up the haters :D

yeah, it looked amazing on tv... they really went for it, vital and charged with energy :up:

it was really moving when the crowd was singing along... beautiful moments... :heart:

i couldn't believe some of the comments i've read though, people criticising them for being on the edge and slightly nervous-looking and trying to prove something, i mean, these are the same people who normally accuse them of being pompous, overly cocky etc, what the heck do they want? lol!!!

mama cass said:
i couldn't believe some of the comments i've read though, people criticising them for being on the edge and slightly nervous-looking and trying to prove something, i mean, these are the same people who normally accuse them of being pompous, overly cocky etc, what the heck do they want? lol!!!

Its crazy i dont even read comments anymore, the internet as a whole is a big negative place no matter what the story is about

And another couple of comments that made me laugh, i read someone comparing U2 and coldplays set, and they said how U2 had become very spinal tap, now if i am not mistaken didnt coldplay use fireworks, confetti and lazers? Pretty much every rock stage cliche and yet U2 got called spinal tap

I have to say I kinda agree with this review blurb from the Guardian newspaper. At least, that was also my impression when I watched it on TV:
The Glastonbury festival showed it's a place where anything can happen | Music | The Guardian
You're certainly never going to accuse Friday's Pyramid stage headliners U2 of failing to consider sufficiently the demands of a festival audience. They do pretty much everything they can to win them over short of handing out wet wipes and inviting them back to their dressing room to dry out. They play the hits, hammering home the fact that they have a bigger catalogue of songs, all written with at least one eye on getting tens of thousands of people to punch the air in unison, than anyone else appearing at Glastonbury this year. They play small sections of other people's hits: Primal Scream's Movin' On Up and Destiny's Child's Independent Women. They play Jerusalem. You get the feeling they'd play the music off the Go Compare advert if they thought people would sing along in a sufficiently rousing manner. Bono works the crowd relentlessly, the rain collecting on his sunglasses. In an echo of their famous Zoo TV shows they have huge screens flashing random words – "futon" crops up at one point – and a satellite link-up with astronaut Mark Kelly, husband of US congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, orbiting the earth, who quotes David Bowie's Space Oddity. It's hard to think what else they could conceivably do, which means it's hard to work out why it doesn't quite work: you'd never call it a flop, but one of those famous Glastonbury moments of mass transcendence stubbornly refuses to happen. It could be the fact that, by the middle of their set, the rain is falling in a manner that suggests the preceding two days were merely a dress rehearsal.

Heading over to the Other stage after their set finishes, you can catch the last three songs of Primal Scream's set: there's none of the grand spectacle of U2, but as they tear through Rocks there's a genuine sense of connection with the audience that makes U2's performance feel a little removed and distant, despite their efforts to the contrary.

the sheer physical distance between the band and the crowd might have been a problem re. connection with the crowd? i watched Primal Scream afterwards on tv too and yes the atmosphere was very different, but the stage was much smaller, it looked a much more intimate venue which changes things for sure...

moments of mass transcendence? who knows, guess only those who were there can say...

me and my hub (who is a multiple Glastonbury veteran) thought the boys did a fab job from our tv screen though lol

the crowd certainly was singing along a few times, surely there was some connection there... maybe the band were trying too hard? whiff of desperation maybe? who knows, but i think it was nice to see them a bit under pressure, out of their comfort zone and really giving it some welly though...

I heard the crowd singing parts of songs that even a U2 crowd wouldnt sing along to, so who is that not connecting with the crowd?,

i think its easy to see that the band impressed people, but the people they impressed maybe think it wouldnt be "cool" to admit they liked it?

just got back home a few hours ago. U2 were great, but I (after all this waiting) was ill that night and it only got worse during their set so after hearing EBTTRT/The Fly/Mysterious Ways I found it hard to get back into the spirit of it.

There's threads all over the place so I don't know what to say really that'll add anything new so i'll keep it brief.

1. Sorry to anyone I said was wrong for even thinking U2 would play within their 1hr45min slot and that would be it. I, along with others here obviously, only made the assumption they would play longer based on previous years. As you can see we're all left with red faces now :wink:

2. When Willie Williams said "I can start from scratch with the setlist and build a one-off show for the British audience." I had no idea all that meant was "I can take the current set, the best of the tour, then simply cut out the cool non-single highlights but leave in the 8 minute mood killer" :lol::wink:
For all the talk of worrying about what to play and 'unique setlist' for glastonbury, it was just another case of U2 just talking a lot about something and nothing really coming of it. They should have just turned up, bust out the same set they were playing every night, blown everyone away JUST as well as they ended up doing anyway. They're U2, they shouldn't have to worry about people not getting HMTMKMKM/Ultraviolet. Nothing wrong with a few songs less than 100% of the crowd don't know :wink:

3. Was a great set from them though, don't get me wrong!! I was just fucking ILL...and feeling it less and less as the show went on :( first time I've heard Streets live but not felt anything, plus it felt a LITTLE too early i must say. LOVED seeing them again though :) they really rose up to the challenge and delivered. was GUTTED when they said 'goodnight' and Dallas came back on with the infinite guitar in hand, knew it was nearly finished then.

on the subject of MoS, where I was the crowd just went dead...and that was right at the front :huh: still think they should have just done 40. I really wish they would rehearse/soundcheck away from fans so we don't hear what they're not going to play :wink: now i know JUST how it feels for people to hear The Fly's being soundchecked and not hear it.

anyway, i'll stop typing now. great weekend, though Pulp were my highlight. best set i've ever seen. once again it was nice to meet the few interference members i did, forgotten the names some of them are under here but you were all a great bunch of people :)

Wide Awake in Glastonbury

We got back in the early hours. The 1hr 45mins is the greatest live music spectacle I have ever witnessed (and I've seen everyone from The Stones to Springsteen from Oasis at Maine Road through to countless U2 shows).

The crowd reaction was incredible and the band fed off the energy throughout. Sure, the set didn't throw up any surprises, but what it did is cater for us fans and the masses of non-converts in attendance.

Bad was supreme, the Achtung Baby intro followed by Streets blew the Pyramid to pieces. I Will Follow ensured the crowd remained captive.

Only lulls were were Boots/Vertigo/Elevation as they looked weak against the rest of the set and I felt MOS was a little too brave for this crowd.

For myself and four friends who were there in the front pit; we all agreed it was the greatest gig we've ever been to, certainly the best U2 show. Way exceeded my excitement that had been building since last year's disappointment.

Just watching it all back on Sky+ reliving it

Just watched a bit of coldplay, for only reaction different i saw was when the fireworks went off, and if it takes fireworks to get a reaction, then they can shove it up their arse

Just watched a bit of coldplay, for only reaction different i saw was when the fireworks went off, and if it takes fireworks to get a reaction, then they can shove it up their arse

What you don't get an impression of on the TV is that pretty much just past the mixing desk there are lots of people sat in chairs so any mass crowd involvement is pretty impossible anyhow. I like Coldplay but must admit they bored me a bit after a promising start. We left to have a wander round Shangri-La before the encore

What you don't get an impression of on the TV is that pretty much just past the mixing desk there are lots of people sat in chairs so any mass crowd involvement is pretty impossible anyhow. I like Coldplay but must admit they bored me a bit after a promising start. We left to have a wander round Shangri-La before the encore

To true, they really where a band i thought would make it at first, but then their songwriting just seems to becoming all the same but much weaker at the same time, if that makes sense?, i mean at this point U2 where into Achtung baby/POP territory, but coldplay despite little changes in sound are staying pretty much the same IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom