June 03, 2010 - Rice Eccles Stadium SALT LAKE CITY, UT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One month to go!

Was in SLC this weekend and scoped out the stadium. People walking by the stadium on the main street are gonna have a great view of the claw and video screen! The claw is seriously going to stop the traffic.

One month to go!

Was in SLC this weekend and scoped out the stadium. People walking by the stadium on the main street are gonna have a great view of the claw and video screen! The claw is seriously going to stop the traffic.

That's awesome

The following message was sent out to all University of Utah staff today. Expect traffic congestion--there are high school graduations occurring down the street the same afternoon/evening as the show...

Also, it sounds like setup may begin this upcoming week.

----------

We want to let you know of a major concert "U2", taking place at
Rice-Eccles Stadium at 7:00 pm on Thursday, June 3rd. It will have an
impact on your commute that day and on parking availability (particularly
in the West Stadium parking lot in the two weeks preceding the event).

This concert will bring approximately 50,000 people to campus; and will
constitute the largest crowd at the Stadium since the Salt Lake 2002 Olympic ceremonies.

Nearly half of the West Stadium parking lot will be occupied by concert
production activities and equipment beginning on May 17th. We anticipate that the entire parking lot will be back in regular service by Monday, June 7th.

To help reduce traffic and parking congestion on June 3rd, we encourage
campus departments to allow their employees to work, where possible,
alternative schedules so they can leave campus by 3:00 pm. Employees must have the approval of their supervisor/manager before changing their regular work schedule on June 3rd. This alternate schedule option does not apply to employees of University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics and other employees identified as providing essential services. Any questions should be directed to your University Human Resources consultant.

In addition to the evening U2 concert, several high school graduations will
take place at the Jon M. Huntsman Center on June 3rd and 4th. Graduations are scheduled at 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm and 6:30 pm on the 3rd, and at 11:00 am, 3:00 pm & 7:00 pm the following day. The high school graduations will impact the parking lots near the Jon M. Huntsman Center.

We encourage everyone who needs to come to campus on June 3rd to do so on UTA, by car pool, bicycle or other means that minimize traffic and parking congestion.

Thank you for your patience with this inconvenience.

Now I'm worried. What directions should I give to the taxi driver to avoid the traffic?... I'll be taking the taxi from the Airport to the Marriott (University Campus/forth) at around 4:00 PM the day of the event :sad:

Does anyone know if the TRAX line will run late that night? They are listed to close at midnight on weeknights, which only leaves about an hour to get everyone out of there.

TRAX normally adjusts schedules for large events so I would think so, however I am doing some digging to find out because it sounds like it will be a nightmare after the show trying to get out of there.

It appears that the main Stadium parking lot will be closed, presumably for the equipment trucks, etc. Be prepared to take your time leaving the show--traffic should be interesting. Lots of little lots all over campus to park on. I've worked on campus for almost 10 years and I'm still not sure where I'm planning on parking!

Of note: TRAX (light rail) will be free between the Stadium and University Medical Center. So if you're parking (or staying) somewhere along that route, hop on the train to get down to the Stadium if you don't feel like walking.

Michael

Is there any lot in the campus that we should stay away from? (permit-only parking, violating vehicle will be towed, etc, etc) Or is it pretty much if I can find a spot on any lot around Univ Medical Center I can just park and hop on the TRAX or walk to the stadium?

I'm staying around the Gateway Shopping Center area, and there's a TRAX line that goes to the stadium, but it looks like the last one leaves the stadium at 11.08pm. I'm guessing the show will end somewhere around 11pm, and with the crowd, that won't leave me enough time to walk back to the station. So I may be driving instead.

I guess I'm just going to walk to my hotel after the show. But I was checking the map and looks like at some point there are no crosswalks and not even sidewalks for pedestrians! :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom