20 July 2009 Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam, NL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
to my ears they seemed to have hit a new level last night MOS sounds incredible..
YouTube - U2 Amsterdam 2009-07-20 Moment Of Surrender

Just watched it. This is amazing. Bono's voice is extraordinary and I love the 40 snippet at the end. From the video it sounds as if fans were singing it, sounded quite good to me. But what does Bono say during the end of MOS? Sounds like a prayer or something.

The fans were singing along pretty good. Especially "40", though they didn't go on for long.
What he was saying at the end was not understandable. But it added a nice effect.

It was an amazing concert! My best U2 concert ever (I've only been to Elevation and vertigo so far).
It's unbelievable how they manage to get a club-atmosphere in this huge ugly stadium!! And even the sound (which is normally horrible here) deserves a lot of :up::up::up::up:
Bono's voice was TOP and the whole band seemed to enjoy it a lot.

Only little disappointing fact: the audience. Very tranquil compared to earlier concerts I visited. At least that counts for the place at the top of the ellipse. That was really weird to me.

But I had the best concert of my life. And then I read about the setlist of yesterday... Until the end of the world, Bad....so it was possible to be even better ????

Just watched it. This is amazing. Bono's voice is extraordinary and I love the 40 snippet at the end. From the video it sounds as if fans were singing it, sounded quite good to me. But what does Bono say during the end of MOS? Sounds like a prayer or something.

I think it's a psalm. I met a Dutch guy yesterday who's Christian and recognised part of it. "Rise up rise up on the wings of an eagle." Does that sound familiar to anyone ...?

I think it's a psalm. I met a Dutch guy yesterday who's Christian and recognised part of it. "Rise up rise up on the wings of an eagle." Does that sound familiar to anyone ...?

Sounds to me like it's from the 'On Eagles' Wings' song by Jan Michael Joncas?

Amsterdam 1 was great, we were at the frontrail in the middle.
Great spot! Well worth the wait, Mike was the first person who arrived in the pit after a hell of a run.

The stage is high (2 meters) but I think the railspots are really good.
We had a great time, my brother who went with us for the first time had the time of his live.

I shot some vid's here are 2 of them, more can be found on my youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcJrZhsRjUs

YouTube - U2 Amsterdam Arena 20-07-2009 Ultraviolet

Last edited:

I heard something about "miry clay" and a few minutes later he sang the the chorus of "40". He may have been quoting Psalm 40, which is of course the verses to "40". I guess he was just speaking them instead of singing them, maybe? Also the "Rise up on the wings of an eagle" is part of a verse in Isaiah, Isaiah 40:31 "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They will mount up with wings like eagles. They will run and not be weary, they will walk and not grow faint".

Maybe it was a snippet from Drowning Man?

Rise up, rise up
With wings like eagles
You run, you run
You run and not grow weary

I heard something about "miry clay" and a few minutes later he sang the the chorus of "40". He may have been quoting Psalm 40, which is of course the verses to "40". I guess he was just speaking them instead of singing them, maybe? Also the "Rise up on the wings of an eagle" is part of a verse in Isaiah, Isaiah 40:31 "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They will mount up with wings like eagles. They will run and not be weary, they will walk and not grow faint".

I think so too, the song I posted was based on that verse.

It was an amazing concert! My best U2 concert ever (I've only been to Elevation and vertigo so far).
It's unbelievable how they manage to get a club-atmosphere in this huge ugly stadium!! And even the sound (which is normally horrible here) deserves a lot of :up::up::up::up:
Bono's voice was TOP and the whole band seemed to enjoy it a lot.

Only little disappointing fact: the audience. Very tranquil compared to earlier concerts I visited. At least that counts for the place at the top of the ellipse. That was really weird to me.

But I had the best concert of my life. And then I read about the setlist of yesterday... Until the end of the world, Bad....so it was possible to be even better ????

We had seats ( :drool: ) the first night and the people around us were really into the show. We had a good view of the people near the stage and it seemed like the people around us were a lot more into it than some of the people who were standing. There was one group who stood at the edge of the crowd in the ellipse who just stood waiting for one of the band to walk around and then started running after them taking their photo. Seemed like they did that for most of the show :shrug:

Bonoa, With GA tickets the sound was also good! But i heard from people in the back of the stadium that the sound was bad and that they heard everything 3 times:hmm:

The first night, when we were sitting, the sound was fab. Last night we were standing and the sound was not as good at all. It helped when we moved though but there were times when I couldn't hear Bono singing.

yeah, compared to the seats especially the vocals were horrid in GA

but truly great, fabulous shows

we will just go for seats all the way next time around though

He said that same quote during Vertigo Chicago at the end of Beautiful Day remember? I think he said on that DVD.."Irish, rise up on wings of eagles" I could be wrong...Chicago has the 2nd highest Irish population in the US after NY. :)

I have just got back in Amsterdam where I attended both shows. Night was seated in block 421, row 2 which was a great position. For those who want the summary: I was crushingly disappointed in my show experience for a variety of factors.

In my section (90EUR) the crowd were constantly getting beer, not getting all that involved and some even left during Moment of Surrender (and also In A Little While). It is amazing how much someone pushing past for beer takes you out of the moment...

At both shows, the reaction to the new songs was disappointing - how people don't even know Boots amazes me. It took until Beautiful Day for people to start standing up around me. In the end I thought fuck it and started wooping at the start of Mysterious Ways.

The crowd overall seemed very flat, even GA for songs - my experience the following night in GA seemed more lively. Bono himself seemed a bit disinterested and tired on this night... he only used the catwalk once though his vocals were very impressive.

The worst thing was feeling disconnected from the concert because of being in seats was like watching a DVD. The spectacle is amazing though and I seriously recommend taking in a show from seats AND standing.

I also want to give a shout out to the Dutch people for being very nice and Amsterdam is a wonderful city to visit.

I'm still trying to figure out settings and stuff on my camera, so these are kinda crappy, but I thought I'd share them anyway :

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

again a little late ... great great great show.
First time this tour at the front row in front of edge (4 times would follow).
Amazing spirit, the band was really really enjoying themselves. Crazy kicked ass. In paris i didn't like it .. now it is one of the best songs. Jumped, sang along together with my wife after a full day in the queue. We were there at 06am at gate J. Lots of friends, made new contacts .. and great weather.

Thanks to U2 for giving me this great great great day (and summer ... in the end i will see them 7 times). I will never forget it!

again the link to all U2 shows : http://picasaweb.google.com/edgeplaytheblues

Back
Top Bottom