Good omen for setlist shake-up!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm betting they open with Streets.
Running to Stand Still, Bullet the Blue Sky, The Fly, All I want is You, Unforgettable Fire, are pretty likely to return.
Bad will be there.

Otherwise, it won't be terribly different than what we've had.
I think MOS or GOYB have a MUCH better shot of being there than Magnificent btw. You people are obsessed with that one...

:lol:

I had that thought, too. U2 aren't morons. They know the Glastonbury deal. I'm sure they didn't call the Glastonbury people and demand that they change the Pyramid stage to make room for their giant spaceship.

Exactly, and besides the 3 spaceships will be busy taking over the United States and Canada at that time. They can't fly quickly enough over the Atlantic to land in an English field.

The only inclusions I think would be Glastonbury and maybe Even Better Than the Real Thing or Discotheque. Yeah the concert is "special" in the bands eyes, but they'll no doubt play it safe.

Actually, I do think a rarity will be played at Glastonbury. it's a song that has not been released yet, and has only been played at a couple of shows... :wink:

If they feel they have something to prove to the 'kids' then perhaps they could play Saints Are Coming. It sort of ties in with the Japan situation; although in a few months that will be less of a story.

AndrewCowley said:
If they feel they have something to prove to the 'kids' then perhaps they could play Saints Are Coming. It sort of ties in with the Japan situation; although in a few months that will be less of a story.

Are you being sarcastic? Cos I know I'd rather saw my ears off with a rusty blunt knife than ever hear that abomination of a song again.

Here is what the setlist will probably be. Let's get serious.

Beautiful Day
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
Mysterious Ways
ISHFWILF
Elevation
Glastonbury
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
Where The Streets Have No Name
With Or Without You
Moment Of Surrender

Probably ad In A Little While if they need another.

Here is what the setlist will probably be. Let's get serious.

Beautiful Day
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
Mysterious Ways
ISHFWILF
Elevation
Glastonbury
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
Where The Streets Have No Name
With Or Without You
Moment Of Surrender

Probably ad In A Little While if they need another.

there'll probably be more songs than that. I'd guess 18-20 at least.

Also, I'm hoping that they'll rock some Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me at the Festival. That song would be friggin sweet on the Pyramid Stage.

It will be pretty much a full set. If they are much tighter on timing than they are on 360 (without the claw, not so much time taken up with theatrics etc) then they might be able to do a full set. But if they still include some of those kind of elements (longer video intros of the 'what time is it in the world' variety) as they surely will, it will probably be a couple of songs short.

Are you being sarcastic? Cos I know I'd rather saw my ears off with a rusty blunt knife than ever hear that abomination of a song again.

:lol: yeah. FUCK. THAT! I had to go double check that Green Day weren't doing any UK dates the same weekend to reassure myself that such a desperate car crash of a 'glastonbury moment' will never happen!!

also
52,000 posts and 3 shows?? pretty weak IMO.....ill listen to the guy with 8 posts and 15 shows any day!! lol, if i knew u only went to 3 shows i woulda stopped talking to you minutes ago!!

hahahahahaha get the fuck outta here. You actually go out of your way to not give the time of day to people who have 'only' been to 3 shows? Sure if that's how you judge how big a fan someone is.

For some reason I seriously WANT it to transpire that you were one of those whining babies doing the sitdown protest during Elevation Boston, that's how smug and deluded you come across over how much 'better' you are than other fans for seeing U2 more.

The fact that you saw them on Zoo TV suggests you're a bit older which makes it all the more sad that you come to this forum and start talking the way you do. I've seen people like you on a number of forums for different bands and it's one of the reasons I don't like going sometimes. older people who really should know better and think they're better than others for no real reason.

as for setlist shake-ups, I realise Mofo is an unrealistic hope to suddenly pop up at Glastonbury out of the blue but part of me really hopes they resurrect it on tour in South America and realise it would just work. Then play it Glastonbury...

...then think 'wow, Mofo was great at glasto, we'll never top that.' and stop playing it when they get back to North America. Then Interference will go into meltdown :wink:

seriously though, the only comebacks i'm realistically hoping for in the GENERAL setlist (which obviously points to this supposed 'different set' at glasto) are I Will Follow, Real Thing, Out Of Control and Discotheque. As long as Mercy isn't even considered I'll be happy, and anything like Mofo would only be an amazing bonus.

:lol: yeah. FUCK. THAT! I had to go double check that Green Day weren't doing any UK dates the same weekend to reassure myself that such a desperate car crash of a 'glastonbury moment' will never happen!!

also

hahahahahaha get the fuck outta here. You actually go out of your way to not give the time of day to people who have 'only' been to 3 shows? Sure if that's how you judge how big a fan someone is.

For some reason I seriously WANT it to transpire that you were one of those whining babies doing the sitdown protest during Elevation Boston, that's how smug and deluded you come across over how much 'better' you are than other fans for seeing U2 more.

The fact that you saw them on Zoo TV suggests you're a bit older which makes it all the more sad that you come to this forum and start talking the way you do. I've seen people like you on a number of forums for different bands and it's one of the reasons I don't like going sometimes. older people who really should know better and think they're better than others for no real reason.

I like this post! :up:

Re: Saints.

Playing a cover of a song thats older than your old-as-sin band doesn't strike me as the way to convince the kids that you are actually still creatively relevant and exciting.

Wasn't EBTTRT only done about 10 times in 2001 before it vanished for good?

correct

Elevation Tour
· 2001-04-10 - Calgary, Alberta - Saddledome
· 2001-04-12 - Tacoma, Washington - Tacoma Dome
· 2001-04-13 - Vancouver, British Columbia - GM Place
· 2001-04-17 - San Diego, California - San Diego Sports Arena
· 2001-04-19 - San Jose, California - San Jose Arena
· 2001-04-24 - Anaheim, California - Arrowhead Pond
· 2001-05-16 - Chicago, Illinois - United Center
· 2001-05-28 - Montreal, Quebec - Molson Centre
· 2001-05-31 - Buffalo, New York - HSBC Arena
· 2001-06-09 - Boston, Massachusetts - Fleet Center

I could see Even Better Than The Real Thing making a Glasto appearance. That would probably be one of the only, "semi-rare" tunes that would have a chance at appearing. Wasn't there a rumor going around last year that they were going to play it at Glastonbury 2010?

I won't be holding out hope for anything out of the ordinary being played (besides the Glastonbury song). What i'm really looking forward to is the performance itself. I bet it will have a very different feel to it, what with the band playing out of their element, to non-fans and even some haters. They'll certainly have a different, probably more enthusiastic approach for this gig.
... i also can't wait to see a crowd of doubters be converted into fans :D

IMO, all the shows after Glasto have a great chance of a mixed up setlist b/c i think after the boys dust off some rarely played gems they wont want to stop playing them! Its almost a certainty that we will hear some new songs/arrangements this summer in NOrth America!

I think we'll hear them during many of the shows leading up to Glastonbury. What better time to dust them off and try them out than in front of 75 or 80k people. We probably just won't see the majority of them in any one show.
They'll probably be pretty flat and exhausted for the East Lansing show (feel kinda sorry for fans there). Hopefully they'll be recovered 3 days later when they play Miami.

I think we'll hear them during many of the shows leading up to Glastonbury. What better time to dust them off and try them out than in front of 75 or 80k people. We probably just won't see the majority of them in any one show.
They'll probably be pretty flat and exhausted for the East Lansing show (feel kinda sorry for fans there). Hopefully they'll be recovered 3 days later when they play Miami.

"Sort of Homecoming" was dusted off for Slane 2001 infront of 85,000. it otherwise hasn't been on a printed U2 setlist since the 80's.

"Sort of Homecoming" was dusted off for Slane 2001 infront of 85,000. it otherwise hasn't been on a printed U2 setlist since the 80's.

It also showed how U2 can butcher one of their own classics when they don't properly rehearse it in soundcheck before playing it at a show.

To the thread topic. The only thing that is really going to be a huge change from their current setlist is the order as others have pointed out. I would be shocked if they even played something that has not been done already on the 360 tour.

The only songs taken out of the current set would be (as the list is smaller for songs they will take out LOL)

In A Little While (actually a good thing!)
Moment Of Surrender
Ultraviolet (even though its off and on technically now)
Crazy Tonight
and maybe Magnificent (but it and Boots will probably still be done)

Outside shots but still unlikely IMO: Even Better Than The Real Thing and Discotheque. Otherwise they will probably bring back stuff they have already played on the 360 tour but haven't been playing lately or sporadically. IE: Desire, Angel Of Harlem, maybe Unforgettable Fire (which would be a great move), Bad and All I Want Is You (which would also be welcome, should be in the setlist for this tour on a frequent basis. ) and then obviously the song Glastonbury.

We will know ahead of time if anything new is coming as they will be soundchecking it at the shows prior to Glastonbury. I would bet they even run through it on an off night at one of the venues prior to the Festival date.

I like the idea of opening with Streets again. That is overdue and would be cool. Back to Joshua Tree and Lovetown days, those and the Zoo tour were the so called "glory" days. Even though every U2 tour is a great one (even Popmart! ;) )

I would bet they even run through it on an off night at one of the venues prior to the Festival date.

This point needs some further exploration. I think they ran through the Superbowl set at a very late 2001 arena show, perhaps before it was officially announced.

U2 have to get used to the idea of doing a full set without the briges/catwalk and without the light show. This could even change the part fo the show where the screen usually comes down - a song like CRAZY has to be a different presentation at Glastonbury.

There's a reason why I didn't predict Crazy Tonight in the setlist I posted earlier - it seems so tied to the 360 Tour's presentation that I'm not sure they'd really attempt it outside of that setting, or if it would come off well if they do. If they were to attempt Crazy, the album version would probably work better, but why the fuck would they dust that off so late in the picture? Might as well just stick with the two songs that are going to work as well as any NLOTH track will - Boots and Magnificent. Obviously I'll argue that NLOTH the song would be perfect, really energetic, and get everybody going better than either Boots or Magnificent, but it's dead and buried already.

This point needs some further exploration. I think they ran through the Superbowl set at a very late 2001 arena show, perhaps before it was officially announced.

They rehearsed the Superbowl performance at the 2001 Kansas City soundcheck. They were concerned with getting all three songs in the specific time frame allotted and worked on the timing. Obviously though 3 songs is a lot different than an almost full festival show. But like I said, I think they will work on it some at the soundchecks or a separate rehearsal on an off night prior to Glastonbury.

...with it being a predominantly UK audience why not dust off a few of their several eclectic UK Top 10 hits like The Fly, Discothéque, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth, Please and Electrical Storm, ah go on, go on... :)

I like the idea of opening with Streets again. That is overdue and would be cool. Back to Joshua Tree and Lovetown days, those and the Zoo tour were the so called "glory" days. Even though every U2 tour is a great one (even Popmart! ;) )[/QUOTE]

Streets/I will follow would be perfect as an opener

They rehearsed the Superbowl performance at the 2001 Kansas City soundcheck. They were concerned with getting all three songs in the specific time frame allotted and worked on the timing. Obviously though 3 songs is a lot different than an almost full festival show. But like I said, I think they will work on it some at the soundchecks or a separate rehearsal on an off night prior to Glastonbury.

And U2's Super Bowl Stint is widely regarded as the best Halftime Show ever. That's pretty good for only rehearsing once. But, then again, they were playing two of their best songs that they have played nightly since they have been introduced (Steets and BD). MLK doesn't really need rehearsal since Bono just cries into the microphone.

Still, I'm sure we can expect a fantastic Glastonbury performance, regardless of how often they rehearse before it. These guys have been together for 30 years. The only reason they'd need to extensively rehearse is if they were dusting off some oldies, some POP/Zooropa stuff or if Bono magically woke up with amnesia and forgot a bunch of lyrics.

Wait a minute...

:rimshot:

Back
Top Bottom