Tour DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was at Cardiff the other weekend, and watched a U2 fan carry two trays of 4 beers each -- that's 8 beers total, for those counting at home -- into the inner circle. My brother and I joked with each other, that you'd just never see that in the states. I'd be curious to hear how much South Americans drink at shows. If my theory is right, it must be a lot!

Good chance that one of those beers was mine. They weren't all his!!! And neither were the 8 hotdogs his mate was carrying all for him!!.

Well then I guess I'm the big exception, because I don't drink and I'm one of the noisiest and most enthusiastic people you'll meet at a concert. I don't need even one drop of alcohol to be in a festive mood. And I know many others who don't either. There are always drunk people at basically every event you'd go to, but it's certainly not the majority, and I think it's a bit poor to attribute a great atmosphere at a U2 show simply to drinking.

Yeah, as I said in my original post, I think it's just one factor that contributes to the difference between the vibe of the European vs. US (vs. South America vs. Asia etc.) U2 shows. Of course, there are other factors. Personally, I usually don't drink either at U2 shows (too nervous about having to pee and losing my spot!) and still stay uber-enthusiastic, but I understand that a lot of others do. And hey, that's their right. When I was in the UK last month, there was a report on TV saying that on average, Brits have 3 drinks per day on ordinary days and 8 drinks per day when on holiday(!), so I think there are definitely trans-national differences.

Good chance that one of those beers was mine. They weren't all his!!! And neither were the 8 hotdogs his mate was carrying all for him!!.

Nice, hehe. I assumed they were to be shared! Thing is, in the states, most stadium beer vendors won't even sell an individual more than 2 beers, by rule. So the sight of someone carrying so many is rare over here!

Still can't get over how amazing that Cardiff show was.

Well then I guess I'm the big exception, because I don't drink and I'm one of the noisiest and most enthusiastic people you'll meet at a concert. I don't need even one drop of alcohol to be in a festive mood. And I know many others who don't either. There are always drunk people at basically every event you'd go to, but it's certainly not the majority, and I think it's a bit poor to attribute a great atmosphere at a U2 show simply to drinking.

Exactly:up::up:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I dont know what he is talking about, honestly. The US encourages restraint through alcohol policies?? Maybe true, but the people don't get the message.

I work security at concerts in Boston. Night in and night out, 95% of the shows, there are loads of staggering, drunk out of their mind people that you just hope and pray are NOT driving. Alcohol is a BIG problem at events in the US.

For example, Gillette Stadium, home of U2 next weekend has Kenny Chesney countryfest every summer. There were over 300 arrests each of the last 2 years, most for underage drinking. In 2008, 2 18-20 yr old girls were killed and 1 seriously hurt when their car hit a tree on Route 1 a few miles south of the stadium. They had been drinking in the parking lot, didn't even have tickets. Alcohol is the reason people are stupid at shows, the reason why there are fights over things that would be brushed off any other time, etc.

The atmosphere of a concert has to do with how the crowd responds to a band on a particular night, not how many people are falling down in front of you drunk.

Exactly:up::up:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I dont know what he is talking about, honestly. The US encourages restraint through alcohol policies?? Maybe true, but the people don't get the message.

I work security at concerts in Boston. Night in and night out, 95% of the shows, there are loads of staggering, drunk out of their mind people that you just hope and pray are NOT driving. Alcohol is a BIG problem at events in the US.

For example, Gillette Stadium, home of U2 next weekend has Kenny Chesney countryfest every summer. There were over 300 arrests each of the last 2 years, most for underage drinking. In 2008, 2 18-20 yr old girls were killed and 1 seriously hurt when their car hit a tree on Route 1 a few miles south of the stadium. They had been drinking in the parking lot, didn't even have tickets. Alcohol is the reason people are stupid at shows, the reason why there are fights over things that would be brushed off any other time, etc.

The atmosphere of a concert has to do with how the crowd responds to a band on a particular night, not how many people are falling down in front of you drunk.

Well, as a former Bostonian, that's definitely a city that knows how to drink, and they're right on par with Europe! And it's no coincidence that Boston U2 shows are always epic ;)

Us Kcers would rather see them back Rockin! ( No Highways have to be closed, although if they wanted to shoot another video... id be okay.)

Not after 1997

KCers weren't happy about giving up their highways for the LNOE video that wasn't a very good concept or execution.

I doubt anybody other than serious U2 fans even remember that anyway.

from nick,

has anyone heard anything, i got it from a pretty reliable source in chicago that it would be boston, we should know soon

from nick,

has anyone heard anything, i got it from a pretty reliable source in chicago that it would be boston, we should know soon

Boston again? :huh: that just seems odd, since they had another official release from there in '01. i'd much prefer Giants Stadium, if I had to choose an American show, since they've never had a release from NYC (wish they'd have done MSG at some point!!). But I'm not convinced that there will even be a DVD from this leg-- they may very well wait till next year.

I agree, i cant see a dvd comming out from this leg NOW. I think there thoughts are, let the first leg be the one where we can play safe, have a great time and not worry about any DVD's ect. The second leg will be the one where they will get filmed, and the one where the setlist will change!

It just seems unlikely McGuinness would bank on all November/December money this year from TUF rerelease and residual NLOTH sales, besides a DVD from this leg could help promote NLOTH. Oh well, mostly I just want to have one... and then another next year haha.

I'm pretty sure the official DVD for this concert will be Toronto or perhaps a combo of Toronto and Chicago because the cameras were revolving around the stage all night 2 of Toronto. Also, Bono was more explicit in his referring to Iran and thanked Universal at the end of the show.

I'm pretty sure the official DVD for this concert will be Toronto or perhaps a combo of Toronto and Chicago because the cameras were revolving around the stage all night 2 of Toronto. Also, Bono was more explicit in his referring to Iran and thanked Universal at the end of the show.

You would have known if they'd been shooting a DVD. Extra pitch lights, signs up for legal reasons etc...

Cameras always move around the stage all night... It's for the video screen

^that.

I doubt they are shooting a dvd right now, we would've known. My bet is a dvd in fall 2010, of either the third or fourth leg. That is, if SOA doesn't come out in the fall, otherwise it'll probably be spring 2011.

from nick,

looks like my offcial source from the crew was wrong, no dvd in boston, maybe there won't be one this leg after all, i really wanted to get an offcial live version of ultraviolet and i think it will probably be replaced in the setlist next leg, has anyone heard anything, my guy was right on for the last two tours with chicago and boston, maybe new york

from nick,

looks like my offcial source from the crew was wrong, no dvd in boston, maybe there won't be one this leg after all, i really wanted to get an offcial live version of ultraviolet and i think it will probably be replaced in the setlist next leg, has anyone heard anything, my guy was right on for the last two tours with chicago and boston, maybe new york

Everyone LOVES Ultraviolet and I can't imagine it will be dropped, especially since it opens the encores and occupies a premium spot in the setlist. I hope they delay the DVD filming for as long as possible (2010 legs!), since the band tends to get better, more creative, and more comfortable as theirs tours progress.

Based on my limited experience with shows in Europe, I think that to paint crowd enthusiasm with a broad brush is misleading.

For example, the crowds in Barcelona were truly amazing. Loud, passionate, in love with the songs, etc. Amazing experience. A week later in Paris? MUCH different crowds, both nights. I've been to tons of shows in the States and I can honestly say that most of the crowds there trumped the Paris crowd.

Everyone should read and reread this post. Hearing some pretty arrogant stuff in this thread...

Back
Top Bottom