Thoughts about the new stage design? + Rolling Stone re: T H E C L A W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
U2 360? Tour

I actually love the idea.

Mark Fisher is a genius.

Let's simply tour our own mini-building and hang all our equipment from it. Brilliant.

I just hope they do not make it look too angled, futuristic. This album calls for a very clean look.

Also - I am not sure why they are still positioning the stage towards one end of each of the stadiums - seems to me for 360 they would want it in the middle.

I have to imagine it has something to do with getting power, equipment, the band to the stage from one end. (although during Popmart they came in from the middle.)

I just think it is unfortunate that one end of the stadium will still be further from the stage than the other.

I cannot wait to see actual photos of this thing, or at least construction drawings (I will be forever searching.)

Lastly - the stage looks great - I really hope they do something innovative with teh screen as the cylindrical screen is neither new, nor all that impressive (see current Britney Spears, Foo Fighters-Wembley.)

Thoughts?

i agree. it looks awesome! i'm glad they didn't go with the traditional huge screen at the end of the stadium. should be some cool effects that we haven't even heard of or seen.

What do you think that ring around the stage is used for? it is not connected to the stage, unless a bridge comes out and somehow connects to the ring :ohmy:?

but I like the stage! Im wondering if you are right behind the big poles you might not get as good of a view though. and also usually the stages are more visually stunning such as the LED screens. I wonder if there is some sort of other visual medium besides the round screen at the top?

This stage set up has been done before a lot.
what we do not know is if they have any surprises which you can not see in the "video".

Up till now it is hardly a new idea to have a stage in the middle and play 360o but let's wait and see.

This stage set up has been done before a lot.
what we do not know is if they have any surprises which you can not see in the "video".

Up till now it is hardly a new idea to have a stage in the middle and play 360o but let's wait and see.

Well, sort of done a lot. 360 in round shows have been around since at least the mid 90's, but this is the first free standing touring show to do stadiums like this. You see this a lot in areas, and I've also seen one off 360 shows put together in stadiums. I've never seen a self supported structure on tour like this in a stadium. If you have, I'd love to see it. (Not sarcastic, just curious...)

What do you think that ring around the stage is used for? it is not connected to the stage, unless a bridge comes out and somehow connects to the ring :ohmy:?

but I like the stage! Im wondering if you are right behind the big poles you might not get as good of a view though. and also usually the stages are more visually stunning such as the LED screens. I wonder if there is some sort of other visual medium besides the round screen at the top?

Who else did a 360 stadium beside Foo Fighters Wembley and (I think) Rod Stewart in the mid 90's in the UK? Springsteen sold rear stage tickets in Stadiums on very rare occasions, but the show was not designed for them. Beatles/Stones/Elvis 35-45 years ago don't fit the criteria.

I think it's a first for the US.

I think it looks great, but it's not true to say that everyone will have completely unobstructed views. If you play about with the angles on the simulation then I think it's clear that being in the lower tiers or GA areas will result in the best views. But, since many of the venues have massively tiered stands there will be those who won't see as well. But, assuming that the simulation is vaguely realistic, even the nosebleed seats should still have a view of the actual stage (if not the video screens).

The screen(s) look small compared to stadium Vertigo and Popmart.

The show also looks like it'll fit into a relatively fewer number of trucks than past tours. Gas is not cheap as it used ot be.

if your blackberry is randomly selected you get to dance onstage with Bono during WOWY. if you get a *69 message you can get top play grab-ass

Well, sort of done a lot. 360 in round shows have been around since at least the mid 90's, but this is the first free standing touring show to do stadiums like this. You see this a lot in areas, and I've also seen one off 360 shows put together in stadiums. I've never seen a self supported structure on tour like this in a stadium. If you have, I'd love to see it. (Not sarcastic, just curious...)

well you are right. I haven't seen it on a tour. there have been concerts in the netherlands where it has been done but this was only for 3 nights or so and not a global domination thing. So in that respect. :wink:

do you think people will be able to see ok from behind the stage? because the set-up still looks end of field? can the video screens be seen on all sides? oh hang on i'll have another look at u2.com haha

well you are right. I haven't seen it on a tour. there have been concerts in the netherlands where it has been done but this was only for 3 nights or so and not a global domination thing. So in that respect. :wink:

I'll admit it doesn't sound quite as amazing by the time you get to "The first 360 view stadium show that tours with a self supporting rig!" But from an engineering perspective it's quite unlike anything I've seen, and much more innovative that the last tour.

Does anyone have any idea how tall the set-up is?

It appears the video screens are angled down somewhat, so the upper levels of the stadiums could really suck.

I think GA is the way to go.

Mark

Apparently Edge's and Adam's amps and effects will be offstage, based on the animation. I always like seeing Edge's rig - it will be awkward to not see it.

Apparently Edge's and Adam's amps and effects will be offstage, based on the animation. I always like seeing Edge's rig - it will be awkward to not see it.

This animation is really rough. If you look at the early Zoo TV or Popmart illustrations and animations, they didn't have all the extras in yet. No amps, wires, missing stage lighting, etc. Don't take this as gospel. It's to give you a good idea of what you will see. It's not 100%

As someone just mentioned, the angle of the video screens and the covering over the arms and top of the structure might make the site lines from the upper level of the stadiums a bit comprised. I'm surprised they didn't make accomodations for that. Seems like a pretty easy thing to account for. Maybe the video is misleading us and they did indeed account for the fans in the higher levels.

Either way the stage setup is brilliant and refreshing. I was getting tired of the whole heart or elipse thing. I'm glad they moved on from that.

My question is how will they enter and exit the stage? Will they have some tunnel or room under the stage? Maybe they'll do another Popmart entrance through the crowd. That would be cool. Or how about some car to drive them to the stage?

Maybe Bono could borrow the new Pope mobile in exchange for some shades. It worked for the last Pope. :wink:

This animation is really rough. If you look at the early Zoo TV or Popmart illustrations and animations, they didn't have all the extras in yet. No amps, wires, missing stage lighting, etc. Don't take this as gospel. It's to give you a good idea of what you will see. It's not 100%

They can have amps on stage, but then they would have to rotate the stage to give the promised 360 view (which is a possibility). Larry's drumkit appears it can easily rotate on a platform (like Neil Peart's).

The video makes it look like the stage is turning, at least it did for me. The only other "in-the-round" show I've seen was Peter Gabriel at Staples Center (obviously not a stadium), but it was really cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom