Thoughts about the new stage design? + Rolling Stone re: T H E C L A W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But isn't that why we are on this forum? What is wrong with a discussion of these controversial issues? Why must dissent and discussion of legitimate questions be squelched?

Like I said before, this is an aspect of the "stage design" discussion that is past overdue. Who knows, maybe this discussion can result in more information getting released by the band or people close to the band.

And if it discovered that people got hosed by buying $250 obstructed seats, maybe the band and promoter can give a partial refund now rather than wait until after the shows have taken place. Stranger things have happened.

You can discuss all you want.

My problem with your discussion is your assertion that you're providing facts and that U2 has already screwed people over. That hasn't happened yet and nothing you say is going to change that.

Nothing can be changed until the first shows happen and it can actually be determined what seats if any are actually obstructed. This discussion will be quite worthwhile once that occurs.

Last edited:
You can discuss all you want.

My problem with your discussion is your assertion that you're providing facts and that U2 has already screwed people over. That hasn't happened yet and nothing you say is going to change that.

Nothing can be changed until the first shows happen and it can actually be determined what seats if any are actually obstructed. This discussion will be quite worthwhile once that occurs.

I disagree with you on this point. If the band discovers, in the course of building the stage, that certain seats at each venue will be obstructed, they can take steps now to alleviate some of the uproar that is bound to take place.

I disagree with you on this point. If the band discovers, in the course of building the stage, that certain seats at each venue will be obstructed, they can take steps now to alleviate some of the uproar that is bound to take place.

And you think they're going to discover this because of this thread? Sorry, I don't agree with you.

If anything they'll discover it when they're actually building the set and they'll address it then or they won't address it and let the uproar occur or they've already taken this into consideration and we just don't know it.

The point is all of this is speculation but you always come off as if you have facts. You don't.

Maybe if you changed the tone of your posts, there could be a healthier discussion of the issue.

Last edited:
And you think they're going to discover this because of this thread? Sorry, I don't agree with you.

If anything they'll discover it when they're actually building the set and they'll address it then or they won't address it and let the uproar occur or they've already taken this into consideration and we just don't know it.

The point is all of this is speculation but you always come off as if you have facts. You don't.

Maybe if you changed the tone of your posts, there could be a healthier discussion of the issue.

Like I said, stranger things have happened. People connected with the band do read these threads.

And, in regards to the tone, you need to do a fairer job of moderating. If you actually read the posts, you'll discover that I wasn't the individual who made this discussion personal.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6132359&postcount=566

Like I said, stranger things have happened. People connected with the band do read these threads.

And, in regards to the tone, you need to do a fairer job of moderating. If you actually read the posts, you'll discover that I wasn't the individual who made this discussion personal.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6132359&postcount=566

I agree with you that the entire thread (when it comes to this particular topic) has been very negative, so why don't we all try and change the tone and further the discussion.

Your view will be fine, the only thing that might be blocked for you is the screen, beside they have this huge circle around the stage, they'll probably walk around on it all the time,
I remember on vertigo on the day of the show they were selling sections that were on far sides of the stage (like your section 105, but imagine it with the Vertigo stadium stage), people there didn't even see this huge Vertigo Screen, but because there were smaller screens on the sides of the stage and because all of the band were often on one of those 'headphones' in the crowd the seats were not as bad as you'd think.

The Claw is so big that I think even with the best place in front of the stage there will always be some people complaing, like: "Bono was always too far on that circle, I didn't have a chance to see him most of the time :blahblah:" etc you get the point.

Look at it this way, even if you will have limited view, there will be times during the show when Bono or someone else from the band will be closer to you than to most people on GA. :up:

Is there an "ellipse" this time? I haven't seen that in the schematics yet (been out of the loop).

Is there an "ellipse" this time? I haven't seen that in the schematics yet (been out of the loop).

Yes, with two bridges from the main stage and some kind of 'leg' in the back...

lg_gelsenkirchen.jpg

I agree with you that the entire thread (when it comes to this particular topic) has been very negative, so why don't we all try and change the tone and further the discussion.

why calming down?no, it was interresting to see you guys "argumenting"
no,really
as for the topic.
both of you are right and wrong.
there's no way we can tell what will happen and there is a possibility that you will be slightly blocked,as far as the seating chart goes.
but, given the ginormity of this hugantic stage, it think you'll manage to catch not just a glimpse of your favourite band, but due to the state of the art and the latest techonology, from which the SCREEN is made of, i think you'll see pretty good

why calming down?no, it was interresting to see you guys "argumenting"
no,really
as for the topic.
both of you are right and wrong.
there's no way we can tell what will happen and there is a possibility that you will be slightly blocked,as far as the seating chart goes.
but, given the ginormity of this hugantic stage, it think you'll manage to catch not just a glimpse of your favourite band, but due to the state of the art and the latest techonology, from which the SCREEN is made of, i think you'll see pretty good

If i wanted to watch u2 on a "SCREEN",i would stay home and watch a dvd of one of their previous tour.I certainly didn't pay 90$ or 250$ to spend the 2 hour of a "LIVE CONCERT" watching them on a jumbo screen,sorry.

The concern of Pudgie and others are more than valid.And to say like Ramblin Rose to just wait for the report of the opening of the tour if thousands of fans got screw, it would be too little too late for us.They should adreess it right now.

Sorry,but i won't be a sheep toward my fav band on this issue.

They should adreess it right now.

I think this is funny. You speculate, and U2 should address your specuations?

Mark Fisher has been doing this a long time. Between him, the band, and Willie Williams the aspect of obstructed view would have come up, and it's obvious that it has reading the description of the structure on the 360 page. It's part of the designers job to take all these things into consideration, do you honestly think that "we" somehow found some flaw they haven't considered?

Fact: Promoters are required to state "limited" or "obstructed" view on the ticket when purchased if they know this is so.

Fact: If seats are determined to be obstructed view upon erecting the stage (or upon drawing up the schematics for each vennue), patrons possessing those seats will be/must be relocated to BETTER seats.

Fact: This is precisely one of the reasons they undersell events (because they initially don't know what specific seats are obstructed) and why seats become available later (because they hold back more than enough to cover relocation, which is not always necessary).

Fact: In Hawaii, for example, there were at least two sections deemed to be obstructed. I had one of those seats, and was directed to an usher table where they had a stack of maybe 250 tickets. I was entitled to exchange mine one for one to a closer section and the "obstructed" area had a black tarp covering the seats.

Fact: The promoters/U2 have this worked out or will work it out.

Speculation: They will put mannequins/blow up dolls wearing U2 garb in the obstructed view and unsold seats so that the stadium will appear completely full no matter what.

If i wanted to watch u2 on a "SCREEN",i would stay home and watch a dvd of one of their previous tour.I certainly didn't pay 90$ or 250$ to spend the 2 hour of a "LIVE CONCERT" watching them on a jumbo screen,sorry.

The concern of Pudgie and others are more than valid.And to say like Ramblin Rose to just wait for the report of the opening of the tour if thousands of fans got screw, it would be too little too late for us.They should adreess it right now.

i guess what's the definition of "getting screwed"?

if once or twice throughout the show, Bono is behind one of the legs for a couple seconds, is that "getting screwed"?

Except you have no idea if it has or hasn't been addressed. That's the point. That is the problem I have with all of these supposed arguments. It's like you're jumping up and down complaining without anything to complain about yet.

Yes there's a concern, but that is all there is right now, you won't know if there's a problem until the first shows happen.

Jumping up and down in this thread is not going to resolve anything.

To the people who are already pissed at U2 and feel they have already been screwed because of a possible obstructed seat to a show that hasn't yet occurred, I certainly hope you're writing emails to Live Nation expressing those concerns and not sitting on a fan board hoping that someone of influence comes in to read this particular thread.

i guess what's the definition of "getting screwed"?

if once or twice throughout the show, Bono is behind one of the legs for a couple seconds, is that "getting screwed"?

And if Larry is behind one of those legs?..How nice that would be,hey?

What will you say to yourself? Never thought U2 was a 3 pieces band?

Unless Larry uses a marching band drum kit,you'll be screw.

Please let us know of any responses you get from Live Nation.

i suppose. but i'm sure you'd see Larry get up from the drum kit and i'm sure he'll probably do some drumming at the tip of the ellipse. he's done so the last two tours.

i am interested in the legalities of posting an "Obstructed View" warning on tickets. is it actually required by law? if a seat would normally not be subject to an obstructed view, but it's the act's stage design that is obstructing the view, is an "Obstructed View" warning required? i could see where they legally would not have to put a warning out because the "Claw" is part of the act, not part of the venue's structure.

No need to be sarcastic.

Who's being sarcastic? This is obviously something that is truely bothering some of you a lot. If that's the case then I have to assume that you and others are taking issue this to the source and it would be great for the responses to be posted.

i am interested in the legalities of posting an "Obstructed View" warning on tickets. is it actually required by law? if a seat would normally not be subject to an obstructed view, but it's the act's stage design that is obstructing the view, is an "Obstructed View" warning required? i could see where they legally would not have to put a warning out because the "Claw" is part of the act, not part of the venue's structure.

Yeah, I don't think they would be able to put "Obstructed View" on tickets because the exact location of the Claw will vary. If it's 12" closer to the 50 yard line then on the drawing then it effects different seats. But there is a legality issue for temp structures, so like the poster said before that section itself would be undersold or a designated section will be set up for those to move to... My guess is they purposely undersold sold those paticular sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom