good Cameras for the new Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks everyone!

I think i am gonna pull out the manual and try and find where I can adjust the shutter speed when I get home from work today.. I am on a mission.. to get good shots of the upcoming tour..:D

I guess while we're on the topic of cameras, I'll throw in a question. How do you turn the bass down on the camera, so that when you are video recording a loud concert, it doesn't sound all muffled when you play it back?

I don't think that is possible for most point and shoot basic cameras... Or are you using a video camera of some sort?

No, it's a Canon digital camera with a video record feature. I'm not sure what I need to change option wise, but there has to be something because alot of the videos on You Tube have very clear sound as opposed to the muffled sound I got last tour.

No, it's a Canon digital camera with a video record feature. I'm not sure what I need to change option wise, but there has to be something because alot of the videos on You Tube have very clear sound as opposed to the muffled sound I got last tour.

I don't think the camera lets you do that - but many cameras have an ext microphone output. That could work.

True- I get a two stop improvement in noise on my new Canon 5D Mark II versus my older 350D.

I got that camera a month ago and it replaced my 400D.

:hi5:

Best camera I've ever used. I would prefer this to a 1DsIII. So sad that I can't bring it to a U2 concert.

I guess while we're on the topic of cameras, I'll throw in a question. How do you turn the bass down on the camera, so that when you are video recording a loud concert, it doesn't sound all muffled when you play it back?

I've read about people who wrapped a piece of cloth around their camera's to reduce the noise and make the sound come out better, tough i don't now which kind of fabric they use, you may find tips around the internet.

I just got my camera, so I haven't played with it as much. I'll make some time this weekend to look at the manual and play around with it. Thanks everyone

Can't go wrong with a Nikon P80... 10 megapixel, vibration reduction and 18x optical zoom, so you're sure to get plenty of good shots...

thats quite a big one, do you get that in ? Would be a smuggling job.
Since it has a kind of lense. Only built in so in my opinion it doesn't count but the security often think different.

Sorry, I meant using 'sports mode' (in an auto point-and-shoot) for concerts. 1/60s seems to come out fine for concerts. I'm a total amateur, so wouldn't even attempt sports photography :wink:

1/60s is probably too slow for concerts as well, unless the performer is fairly still. I'd go for 1/80-1/125 (and maybe higher).

1/60s is probably too slow for concerts as well, unless the performer is fairly still. I'd go for 1/80-1/125 (and maybe higher).

cool, thanks for that. any info & advice is much appreciated.

now, if only i can chase up a decent camera with enough manual controls before the tour :hmm:

I've got the Fuji S800fd. Comes with an 18x optical zoom.
Only used it on auto mode thought. I'm going to start trying out the manual soon.

Thanks for the tips in this thread, btw :applaud::applaud:

Yup new U2 tour means new camera.

I used to use the old 800 speed disposable film cameras.

Then I bought a Sony DSC-P200

Sony Style Canada

I have a P200 as well. I bought that just before I went to the 3rd leg Vertigo shows. I have so many great pictures from those shows because I was sitting so close to the stage.

I want a new camera for this tour. I was thinking of getting another Sony or a Panasonic Lumix. Overall I'm pretty happy with the P200, but I need a camera with better zoom for this stadium tour. P200 only has 3x optical zoom.

being a rookie when it comes to cameras, all this info is alot to try to comprehend. I've tried to understand ISO, shutterspeeds, etc,

and i've found decent pricing on these 2 models,

1) Nikon Coolpix L100
2) Olympus Stylus 9000 (100 dollars MORE)

i was leaning towards the Nikon, but am 2nd guessing myself now cuz i read it uses all pre-sets, rather than manual control. Mind you i am a camera rookie, so i dont know if its better suited for me.

Does anyone have an opinion about either of these 2 models?

Just did the same thing

Marik, I've just gone through the camera hunt myself. I used Walmart.com to help me choose as they give pretty good info on about 400 cameras.
The Olympus Stylus 9000 was one of my short listers, but I ended up with a Canon Powershot A2000 IS.

It's less costly than the Stylus and had two of the features I wanted: the ability to use normal AA batteries and the SD memory card. I figured if I got stuck, it would be easiest to get batteries in a hurry, and that card seems to be the most popular, making it unlikely that the camera would become obsolete anytime soon.

I once had a 35mm SLR with a 200 mm lens, so the 6X optical zoom was equivalent. It's got enough variation in settings that I think I can get some good shots with enough practice.

Best of all, it was just under $200 on clearance at Walmart. That way I could hold it, test it out and talk to a human being about the features. My Walmart has experienced camera salespeople so that was a bonus.

I am still learning all about it, but I'm happy with the pictures I've taken so far. One thing I would like it to do that it doesn't is to allow optical zoom in movie mode. Maybe a small detail, but it might turn out to be crucial during the concert. Time will tell.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Birdlover

Marik, I've just gone through the camera hunt myself. I used Walmart.com to help me choose as they give pretty good info on about 400 cameras.
The Olympus Stylus 9000 was one of my short listers, but I ended up with a Canon Powershot A2000 IS.

Birdlover

Hey, what are you doing on this board? I didn't know you were an Interference member too :D

Hi all,

I used a small Fuji F30 last summer with Radiohead. The zoom is not that great, but the ISO can go up to 3200 - which on a black and white picture can look pretty cool. The stage is always lit, so turn of the flash and use the manual settings. The Exif data should be on the flickr set here Radiohead Victoria Park London 24-6-2008 - a set on Flickr. I took a ton of pictures and edited some (they are marked), the other ones are straight from the camera. I think it worked great to capture the stage, lights and athmosphere (and I got loads of hits).

It is small and can easily be taken into the venue and during the concert it fits great into the palm of my hands. I even used it at Prince concerts in the O2 (the sets are also online), which was one of the hardest concerts to take pictures, as security was watching constantly. They did not notice my camera and me taking pitcures (the monitor was turned down, and of course the pilot light as well).

although more megapixels might be better, I do prefer the manual settings on this camera.

Good luck and looking forward to my GA experience later on this year!

can i bring this?

Polaroid_SX70.gif

I used 1/60 on Vertigo, but after enough shows I kinda figured out when the band members were more still, when their lighting worked to my advantage. I think all of my pics were 1/60 or 1/80 (I think some might have even been 1/40). Definitely not the greatest pics, but good enough for a point-and-shoot.

Back
Top Bottom