Ear plugs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ear plugs for the tour?

• Total voters
don't need them if you are in the inner circle. the speakers are directly above and almost behind you, and its not that loud at all.

if you are outer rail, it is much, much louder. i would wear them out there, it was very loud. i didn't wear anything in the inner circle and no ringing or anything at all. it really wasn't that loud in that section.

Oh that explains why I didn't need them. Good to know in case I'm ever on the outside. Have to remember to bring them to every show just in case.

FFS, it's a rock concert. Maybe if you don't have a job and you're following U2 to like, 10 cities then wear earplugs, but for the rest of us back here in reality you're seeing this band maybe once, or twice a tour.

Unless you have very bad hearing issues or a medical condition, just stop being lame and rock the heck out. You guys are like the people who put their fingers in their ears while watching fireworks.

Next thing you know you'll want seats on the floor like a Coldplay concert. Yeah, go wear earplugs to a Coldplay concert.

I used to think this when I was 18... now my hearing sucks

so I bought a set (Not the ones that Comet bought) and I tried them in my car while the music was playing loud.......after placing them on and off a few times, I noticed a huge difference in detail to the music.
:hmm:

I need to buy a good pair and then make up my mind.:|

i wore some (mack's?) to both nights and they worked great. the bass was a lot more prominent, during uhh...one of the opening songs, i forget which one, the bass was vibrating so loud it made me go, whoa the bass is vibrating!

but yeah, it was much more enjoyable with the ear plugs. i could still hear everything just fine, and it actually helped me avoid hearing any shit the tools around me said.

If you stand in front of the stage and forgot bringing your ear plugs, stuffing your ears with toilet paper would be fine.
I did that during the Vertigo concert and one Dream Theater concert and the sound was still brilliant! :up:

thanks for the advice all I am bringing my daughter tonight to NJ so this is very valuable information that I wouldnt have thought of otherwise !!:applaud:

I think this was the site I ordered from. Definitely worth the $12.

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•20 High Fidelity Earplugs

I'm from Canada, anyone know if I can buy these in a store in Toronto or the GTA area?

If there are no other options, of course I'll try ordering from the site above. However, I'm not to keen on the $10.00 UPS delivery charge, the earplugs only cost $12.00. Apparently $22.00 U.S dollars with possible extra international delivery charges depending on what country you're from. Have any Canadian residents here ordered from this site before? If so, what was the total costs of these earplugs after delivery charges and foreign exchange?

The volume was just right on the Upper deck of Giants Stadium, NJ show.
Brought cheap ear plugs for the (first) show just in case, and happily realized that they were not needed.

ear plugs

I've been going to see U2 since the War tour, and never wore earplugs until after the first Vertigo show I saw (GA indoors). Normally my ears ring the day after, but my ears rang for several days after that show. And there were moments where the PA was cranked so loud that my ears couldn't hear any detail--just a barrage of sound that completely broke up at the mid and high frequencies.

So when I went back to see another Vertigo show several months later (GA again), I wore high-fidelity ear plugs (Hearos) and it sounded much, much better. I periodically pulled them out during the show and found I could hear the music more clearly with them in.

Just saw 360 in Boston last Monday night, stood in front of Edge in the pit. Wore plugs for most of the show, but took them out here and there (during Stay, for example). Definitely glad I had them.

I love loud music but I'm not all that interested in having tinnitus. And a good pair of hi-fi earplugs can actually improve the audio experience. Try it and see...

I wore them on the previous shows in the arenas, but not last night...the volume didn't bother me.

Honestly, the two 360 Tour shows I went to in Chicago didn't seem that loud compared to other concerts I've been to. I wasn't in GA though.

I wore them on the previous shows in the arenas, but not last night...the volume didn't bother me.

I'm the same way. With arena or indoor shows, it's a good idea to have ear plugs since the sound will echo. I didn't wear any ear plugs for the shows on this tour, and my ears were fine.

I brought ear plugs to the 2nd Giants Stadium show. I was in the inner circle area but it wasn't loud at all. I ended up not using ear plugs.

Knowing me, I will take my ear plugs (Same as C's) and once I get there and the music starts....i'll be like Fuck it. .....and not wear them

I almost always use them. Yes, they do take away some sound quality, especially the high frequencies, but you can purchase ear plugs based on decibel reduction, so I've found the ones that suit me best.

On this tour, there have been two occasions where I was able to go without, but generally I use them. Ain't worth going deaf over. Besides, if I lose my hearing, how am I supposed to enjoy U2?

When I was about 22 I went to a lot of concerts in 3 years time. More pop-rock stuff. Also one U2 show. Suddenly I went to a festival and Elton John was playing, we were standing in front and you could buy foam earplugs. (crap stuff) but it worked and I said woaw what a difference of volume. I thought I'm gonna take these everywhere I go. I heard about tinnitus but never thought I might get this.

At 25 years old and a festival later, I wanted to take them but forgot them. :doh:
It was Garland Jeffrey's and oh boy I felt the bass was LOUD. Then Bryan Ferry which was alright.
Afterwards I had the usual ringing in my ears which everyone gets.
It stayed...
I had tinnitus and hyperacusis (being oversensitive to certain sounds and loud volumes)

The next morning it was still there. And I had popping sounds in my ears, I couldn't handle any noise anymore. No more loud music; no ipod, no concerts, no dishes, no screaming kids, loud talking/laughing people, no more cinema, no more parties, certain pubs or restaurants were too loud. Even now I have custom earplugs, with them I could still not handle a concert anymore. Me as a music lover, it hurts like hell. :reject:

I've been to several clinics in Belgium. Tried 3 already. They give you pills for epileptic people, they don't work, except they can put you too sleep after 30 min. One year later they don't work anymore and you' re addicted to them. Stopping is a no-no as the ringing would get worse. Sometimes I have 3 sounds in my right ear, a tv noise, a bleeeeeeeeep and a tingelelingelinge linge linge. (like a christmass sleigh). My left goes like a tv all the time.

Recently I had my hair cells tested, almost everyone frequency is damaged. My hearing is actually still allright, although when I go deaf early...I know where it comes from.

So never ever again: travelling with an airplane, concerts, movie theathre, parties, any fun stuff organised in the city because it's always with music or sound, no loud(er) cafés................and so on. The list is endles.

No more sleeping in a normal way. Half of the week I fall asleep with my tv on. Wake up at 3 to turn it off. When I wake up at night, I hear this sh*t all the time, even tried to hit my head to kill those m*therf*cking brain cells which cause it. To be hones I had times, at night, if I had a gun at my nightstand I would blow my head off.£
Thankfully during the day, because I'm a teacher there is background noise and I don't hear it. At home when I'm alone, I hear, when I watch tv I hear it...it's not necessarely louder, it's more prominent, it's in your head and it destracts you. :|

Often I hear a very loud TWEEEEEETTTT , usually it goes away after a couple of seconds, sometimes it stays for an hour.

I feel like my life is over at 28 years. I often feel very depressed, because I LOVE music. I LOVE movies. I can hardly do something socially. Wherever you go there is often noise or music or sound involved. You always have to ask, shall I be able to handle it with my plugs? I often just had to leave a party or something which was so much fun. Then you end up home crying because you can't do normal stuff anymore.

Concerts are between 100-120 decibels. The max. for your ears is 80db. So even when you hear nothing afterwards, you can have haircell damage. Maybe 15 years later you will have to suffer the consequences. I now encourage anyone to wear them.
They did a test in a university hospital, 36 young persons went to a concert with hearing protection afterwards 15 of them had damage EVEN with earplugs.
They wore several types. So if you wear them you are safeR.

Please wear them... get some at your hearing aid shop. Yes they sell them over there for about 15 dollars. Partyplugs or something like it. And if you do a lot of concerts get custom ones. They are a bit expensive, but it saves your life.

Last year a Belgian 29yr old killed himself he had the same conditions as I have. He couldn't stand the loudness of his voice anymore... I too have often thought of: is my life still worth living..

WEAR THEM PLEASE! If only I can convince one person I'm happy. :up:

herci, i'm so sorry :hug: i can't even imagine what that must be like for you. i've definitely been sold on wearing ear plugs to concerts. last year when i saw u2 i was sick which definitely made me want to wear a pair (i'd been on the fence previously).

the bass is a lot more prominent when wearing them, i definitely prefer to wear them not just so my ears don't ring after but also the music sounds better. my ears are already kinda sensitive (never been diagnosed with anything, it's really just that since i was a kid loud sounds have annoyed me) so i wouldn't want to make anything worse.

Will you use them for the tour?
Did you use them already?
Does it make a difference in sound quality?

1. Not any longer since the tour is over for my part, otherwise yes.
2. Yes and no.
I wore mine the first night in Gothenburg, when I had GAs. I had them in my ears when I entered the stadium for the second night when I had seats, but after a while, I realized it wasn't loud enough to cause discomfort so I took them out. I'm usually very careful with my ears though, I don't want to cause permanent damage and would rather be safe than sorry if there is any doubt.

Then of course it has happened on occasion that I've forgotten my earplugs which really makes me go :doh: when I realize.

3. No, not to my ears. Well, I suppose that they do take away a little of the higher frequencies, but I generally don't like that anyway. It's barely noticable and makes the sound much more confortable to listen to without the sharpness of it that would kill my eardrums.

I don't wear them as often as I should, but I rarely come back from concerts with ear issues.

BUT

I went to a silly club last weekend, and it was ridiculously loud. THAT, of course, is when my ears decided to ring when I got home. Sheesh.

I think the sound is actually better with earplugs, especially when the volume goes up. At least at U2 concerts, but probably everywhere.

I think the sound is actually better with earplugs, especially when the volume goes up. At least at U2 concerts, but probably everywhere.

I agree, I think they help balance out the sound.

As was said earlier in the this thread (I think), they also block out the talking moron who won't shut up through the entire show.

For any indoor show, earplugs are a must. For outdoor shows, it can really depend, but I've worn them for all of my U2 360 shows so far.

People, if you go to gigs at all regularly, invest in some proper musicians' earplugs, like the Hearos 211 or the Etymotic ER-20s. The whole point of the plugs is to make the music sound BETTER while reducing the volume to a safe level. They bloody well do the job too. In Australia, they tend to sell for around $25-35; can't speak for elsewhere, but it's money very well spent.

If you love live music, you should own a pair. I can't see any reason not to get them. Who doesn't want the band to sound better?

Back
Top Bottom