US Politics XXXIII: Get Inoculated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't go that far, but I do feel Nancy plays the game and really looks out more for herself and the old guard than progress. That's my opinion of her, not that she secretly wanted to be hunted down and killed on 1/6.

The more frustrating part is the Dems could actually do a BIT more than they are. I really hope they are trying to appear bipartisan before saying fuck it, we tried....now we go alone.

Sinema and Manchin want it to be bipartisan.

And it’s a simple as that.

And the talk is he could run and win the 2024 GOP primary from prison

I don’t see him ending up there. One of his sons will take the fall. Bets are on Eric

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/22432229/democracy-america-democratic-party-reform

Sean Illing

You said we were “at a very dangerous moment in American history” back in 2018. I have to say, the situation seems worse now. Trump is gone, but over the last year or so the Republican Party has taken an explicit turn against democracy itself. So what’s your current level of concern?

David Faris

My current level of concern is exploring countries to move to after 2024. I’m deeply concerned about the direction that the Republican Party has taken, especially over the last year or so. Things were bad in 2018, but the basic problem in 2018 was that we had structural factors working against the Democrats and you had a Republican Party that was fundamentally trying to keep people from voting.

So 2020 felt like a test run. The plot to overturn the 2020 election never had a real chance of working without some external intervention like a military coup or something like that, which I never thought was particularly likely. But the institutional path that they pursued to steal the election failed because they didn’t control Congress and they didn’t control the right governorships in the right places.

https://twitter.com/elizarules/status/1399740831133753350?s=21

Think of the history books Joe! The script is set up for you to save democracy!!

It’s also set up for you to be the point of failure too (albeit many many many failures have happened for us to get here)

Also, what are the odds that Trump is indicted ? Odds he serves time?

My guess is that one of his children take the fall knowing they can get some sort of deal with the State or if GOP takes back over

https://twitter.com/elizarules/status/1399740831133753350?s=21

Think of the history books Joe! The script is set up for you to save democracy!!

It’s also set up for you to be the point of failure too (albeit many many many failures have happened for us to get here)

Also, what are the odds that Trump is indicted ? Odds he serves time?

My guess is that one of his children take the fall knowing they can get some sort of deal with the State or if GOP takes back over

I think Trump will absolutely be indicted based on what's happening right now. Whether or not he serves time, that's a harder conclusion to draw.

this is purely anecdotal - but we made a trip over the holiday weekend. 2 hour drive outside of DC - quick getaway that we've done a few times now.

on past drives - even in a non election year - the ride through the countryside was absolutely riddled with Trump flags, signs and other paraphernalia. this time... nothing. think i saw one flag and one leftover lawn sign. everything else has completely vanished.

then you see stuff like that - where the democrats lead in a district in new mexico... not new york, dc or san francisco... has increased since january.

maybe it's just naivety - but i think (and hope) that January 6, along with the ensuing republican attack on voting rights and a platform of, frankly, very popular bipartisan issues from biden has stomped down the crazy in the general electorate - and that this will all backfire badly on the GOP both in 2022 and 2024.

I don't think the GOP can outperform voting tallies, which is why they are setting up all these laws to overturn "fraud" claims.

We won't have more principled GOP as Sec of States like in GA who rejected Trump's illegal requests to throw out votes or "find" just enough to win.

Now if the GOP do overthrow the will of the people, I really don't know what to think will happen. You'll have so much anger, division, and most likely violence in the streets all while these cases get played out in the courts.

Interesting read, thank s for posting that.

I think certainly from an aesthetic point of view a lot of these are actually eyesores so I'd agree with that take. The ones that are the centrepieces of oft-used public spaces I think are a bit more challenging in that you'd probably want to replace them with something, an art installation or whatever rather than leaving things barren.

More than a decade ago, I'd spent a summer traveling through southern Africa and then ended up in Europe and specifically Brussels as one of my pit stops. After the African immersion I have to say I really did find that massive monument to Leopold to be really shocking, that it still exists today.

i love how the Q believers are calling this fake arizona "audit" the first domino to trump's "reinstatement", all of them completely oblivious to the fact that even if somehow they manage to prove without a doubt that the election in all 50 states was illegitimate and stolen, and joe biden and kamala harris are dragged out of the white house in handcuffs for rigging the whole thing, that this scenario of their wildest dreams results in... president nancy pelosi.

giphy.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom