US Politics XXXII: Cancel my subscription to the insurrection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When do we start the Thanks, Biden memes?

4xdisl.jpg

Well I’ll stop short of making light of it at that.

Though as someone who grew up in an orthodox Christian household, I generally get a bit frustrated with what I perceive to be religion for show. Don’t know how this man can stand up there and say the things he is saying whilst demonstrating his faith visually, when the two really don’t agree.

Republicans Accuse Ocasio-Cortez Of Not Being Anywhere Near Place They Told Capitol Mob She Would Be

WASHINGTON—Pointing out the inconsistency in her personal account of the Jan. 6 insurrection, republicans accused New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thursday of not being anywhere near the place they told the Capitol mob she would be. “She was supposed to be in a room just off the Capitol rotunda, which is where we told the angry white nationalists she’d be hiding, but she wasn’t even there,” said South Carolina Rep. Nancy Mace, one of the many republicans condemning Ocasio-Cortez for hiding in a completely different building during the insurrection instead of where her colleagues told the violent rioters they should expect to find her. “A quick examination of the Capitol grounds map we gave the insurrectionists will prove that while they stormed the area where we drew the big ‘X’, the representative was actually in a location that was nowhere close to there. We were all upset by the events that transpired that day, but to be in a different place than the one we told those hunting her she’d be is incredibly disappointing.” At press time, republicans were calling upon Ocasio-Cortez to deliver a full apology and vow to always be open about her exact whereabouts at all times to avoid misleading her potential killers in the future.

I hope it’s a joke?

I mean I was half paying attention so I don’t know for sure, but the first guy seemed to be maybe a bad lawyer but making the best argument one can actually make given the defense he had to make. It sounded like maybe “things lawyers shouldn’t do” - but again I hardly heard what he was saying for like 50-75% of it.

The latter guy wasn’t convincing me of shit. He’s on the defense trying to be all macho man.

I still don’t understand why everyone’s ranting so hard about Castor’s performance.

He appealed towards logical people by avoiding logically imbalanced statements entirely and only rambling. They have absolutely nothing to stand on and are just buying time until the republicans in the senate ultimately vote to protect Trump. The less bullshit he says and the more nonsensical emotionally positive things he says, the generally more agreeable his argument is of just moving on. Which is literally all they have.

Bear in mind that this isn’t an actual legal trial. Impeachment’s have proven to be not-real and nothing more than a political agenda of votes.

Edit: upon actually watching more, while I still stand by my last comment there, I think ultimately he’s drawn way too much attention from borderline contradictory statements. Could be more effective if we in fact weren’t talking about him at all.

Last edited:
I still don’t understand why everyone’s ranting so hard about Castor’s performance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/09/us/politics/trump-bruce-castor-david-schoen.html

Mr. Castor, the first to speak, delivered a rambling, almost somnambulant defense of the former president for nearly an hour. Mr. Trump, who often leaves the television on in the background even when he is holding meetings, was furious, people familiar with his reaction said.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/09/politics/trump-impeachment-bruce-castor/index.html

Trump was almost screaming as Castor struggled to get at the heart of his defense team's argument,

Now I didn't watch any of this yesterday, but sounds to me like Castor is giving Trump exactly the defense he deserves.

Trump has lots of experience with lawyers, reports are that he has filed hundreds of lawsuits in his life. So even though he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, if he says his lawyers are bad they're bad.

Then again Rudy was his lawyer, so there's that. And Sidney Powell. I think Trump's definition of a good lawyer leans more towards conspiracy theorists who feed his ego and cowtow to his every demand and whim.

Even GOP Senators who sell their souls and dignity to Trump for a living said his lawyers were bad yesterday.

And regardless of how bad his lawyers were, he’ll still be let off the hook.

Definitely what I was going for. I think his lawyers are better off rambling than trying to make a point that gets turned on its back. The unconstitutional argument is a dumb avenue to go down. You should literally just make a non memorable speech about normalizing Trump’s supporters and Trump and let the Republican senators do their soul selling.

So there won’t be witnesses for this ? Or it’s still up in the air.

Remember the Dems called the last impeachment trial a sham because no witnesses were called.

They have the power to do so but if they chose not to then their own words should bite them.

Showing videos and passionate speeches are ok, with the former i feel like most people are desensitized to what happened.

Hearing first hand testimony from police, rioters, and people within the White House would show everyone just how ugly and criminal it was.

Like it or not this is a show and the Dems need to put on a great one.

While it’s likely the GQP let’s Trump off the hook at least the evidence was presented and everyone can see how corrupt and horrible they are. It may matter a lot come 2022

So there won’t be witnesses for this ? Or it’s still up in the air.

Remember the Dems called the last impeachment trial a sham because no witnesses were called.

They have the power to do so but if they chose not to then their own words should bite them.

Showing videos and passionate speeches are ok, with the former i feel like most people are desensitized to what happened.

Hearing first hand testimony from police, rioters, and people within the White House would show everyone just how ugly and criminal it was.

Like it or not this is a show and the Dems need to put on a great one.

While it’s likely the GQP let’s Trump off the hook at least the evidence was presented and everyone can see how corrupt and horrible they are. It may matter a lot come 2022
They could start with the police officer that lost fingers.

Democrats run the risk here of merely ranting about Trump if they don’t stay focused here. Too much “building a case” going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom