US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Biden is really concerned about the courts, it is even conceivable that in Jan. 2024 he announces that he is no longer up to the job due to his advanced age and resigns as president. This would not only make his veep president, but it would make it very hard for a Democratic challenger to mount a campaign fast enough, with filing deadlines rapidly approaching. It would also allow his veep to run as an incumbent in 2024 and potentially serve two full terms in addition to his final year.
That's some admirably... optimistic conjecture on the writer's part.

So now we know PPP loans went to:

The Daily Caller
The Ayn Rand Institute
Kushner Family
Kanye West
Devin Nunes' winery

This is not from The Onion.

Add Grover Norquist's institution to the list.

Add Grover Norquist's institution to the list.

Also looks like at least 7 other members of Congress. And I can’t believe it, but it seems like they are all Republicans. I’m really surprised

Last edited:
Dem Senate Q2 fundraising so far are all massive, and big increases from past quarters even amid Covid environment w limits in person

Bullock $7.7mil (more than doubled previous quarter)

Gideon $9mil ($2m increase)

Cunningham $7.4mil ($3m increase)

Harrison $13.9mil (nearly double previous)

So now we know PPP loans went to:

The Daily Caller
The Ayn Rand Institute
Kushner Family
Kanye West
Devin Nunes' winery

This is not from The Onion.

And TB12, Tom Brady's company. Ridiculous, he could singlehandedly keep that company afloat and pay all the employees. Offensive, his company should pay that back.

CNN obtained a copy of Mary Trump's book. She calls him a sociopath (she is a clinical psychologist) and also alleges that the family paid someone to take Trump's SATs for him. I find both things completely believable.

In April 2017, the president’s extended family was welcomed to a dinner at the White House to celebrate the birthdays of Maryanne and Elizabeth Trump, the president’s sisters. At the dinner, Mary Trump remembers that her uncle gestured toward Eric Trump’s wife, Lara, saying that he “barely even knew who the fuck she was, honestly, but then she gave a great speech during the campaign in Georgia supporting me.” Eric and Lara Trump had been married for eight years at that point.

100% believe this.

Anyone else seen all the videos of the Q people taking the oath ?

It’s really cheesy but same time kinda sinister as it feels like they’re being programmed to take action whenever Q gives the signal (or Trump). It’s also a weird spectrum of society that’s a part of it. Majority is the MAGA crowd but you’ve got some liberal anti vaxxers that have overlapped. Basically a army of Karen’s

The Supreme Court has dropped another absolute turd of a ruling this morning. It's a 7-2 walloping. Sotomayor is the only justice with any sense of morality.

West said that if he were to win – either in 2020 or 2024, the year in which he previously hinted he would run – it would be “God’s appointment”. He praised Donald Trump as “the closest president we’ve had in years to allowing God to still be part of the conversation”.

West has previously voiced support for Trump and worn one of Trump’s trademark Make America Great Again caps when he met the president in the Oval Office. “One of the main reasons I wore the red hat [was] as a protest to the segregation of votes in the black community,” West said. “Other than the fact that I like Trump hotels and the saxophones in the lobby.”

Regarding the development of a Covid-19 vaccine, he said: “It’s so many of our children that are being vaccinated and paralysed … So when they say the way we’re going to fix covid is with a vaccine, I’m extremely cautious. That’s the mark of the beast.

“They want to put chips inside of us, they want to do all kinds of things to make it where we can’t cross the gates of heaven.”

West added that Covid-19 was “all about God. We need to stop doing things that make God mad.”

He said he may have contracted the disease in February: “Chills, shaking in the bed, taking hot showers, looking at videos telling me what I’m supposed to do to get over it.”

He said he intended to end police brutality, but added that “the police are people, too”. He said he opposes the death penalty and is “pro-life because I’m following the word of the Bible”.

oh yeah he's definitely gonna be splitting that progressive vote lmao.

He most certainly can cut into the disaffected black vote whose vote for him would be a protest.

nobody who was going to seriously vote for joe biden prior to last week is going to switch to casting a write-in protest vote for kanye west.

he's going to forget all about being president two weeks after his album comes out anyways. this is just kanye doing crazy shit to get his name in the news right before his album comes out. he always does this with every album. he's not going to file any paperwork to be on ballots or hire real campaign staff or do anything else that actually costs money and effort. absolutely nobody should be taking this seriously.

Last edited:
nobody who was going to seriously vote for joe biden prior to last week is going to switch to casting a write-in protest vote for kanye west.

he's going to forget all about being president two weeks after his album comes out anyways. this is just kanye doing crazy shit to get his name in the news right before his album comes out, just like he's done with every previous album. he's not going to file any paperwork or be on ballots or do anything else that actually costs money and effort. absolutely nobody should be taking this seriously or be concerned that kanye west is going to be 2020's jill scott.

Really depends how fat he takes this. Don’t underestimate crazy.

Really depends how fat he takes this. Don’t underestimate crazy.

his MO with nearly every album release is to do or say something outrageous to get people talking about him. the slavery comments were less than a month before ye came out. he tweeted a bunch of shit defending bill cosby like a week before the life of pablo came out. he called himself "the voice of a generation" and triggered a million boomer music journalists a month before 808s and heartbreak.

i think it's fairly safe to assume that this is just more of the same.

his MO with nearly every album release is to do or say something outrageous to get people talking about him. the slavery comments were less than a month before ye came out. he tweeted a bunch of shit defending bill cosby like a week before the life of pablo came out. he called himself "the voice of a generation" and triggered a million boomer music journalists a month before 808s and heartbreak.

i think it's fairly safe to assume that this is just more of the same.

Okay but at what point does he run on the campaign trail promoting his album?

Okay but at what point does he run on the campaign trail promoting his album?

if he's going out on a tour to promote his album anyways he's not going to hold political rallies and give speeches to try to get people to vote for him, he's going to play concerts and charge concert ticket prices.

of course that won't preclude him from making dumb political rant-speeches during those concerts. but obviously it's a little harder to get a kanye west concert live on CNN than a joe biden speech.

Last edited:

he's going to forget all about being president two weeks after his album comes out anyways. this is just kanye doing crazy shit to get his name in the news right before his album comes out. he always does this with every album. he's not going to file any paperwork to be on ballots or hire real campaign staff or do anything else that actually costs money and effort. absolutely nobody should be taking this seriously.
To be fair our current president ran for office as a publicity stunt and, well...

Black women, the most reliable Democratic voting bloc by far, are pragmatic and intelligent voters and I don't see him peeling off any of them.

Kanye is mentally ill and needs help and good people around him. He appears to have neither.

Something else that has changed since 2016. The Dem party has/is consolidating.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1280862834516275200

Biden emerges from a contested Democratic primary with no serious threat on his left flank, according to Times/Siena polling in the battlegrounds.
Sanders supporters back him 87-4
Warren supporters back him 96-0

Warren supporters even back Biden against Trump by a wider margin than Biden primary supporters.

I would say this would be another strike against Warren as the VP.

Also, while there are a lot of Bernie supporters out there that may sit it out or vote third party or write in. The high percentage of them reside in very blue states. 20 percent in California, and almost the same in NY.

Last edited:
Black women, the most reliable Democratic voting bloc by far, are pragmatic and intelligent voters and I don't see him peeling off any of them.

Kanye is mentally ill and needs help and good people around him. He appears to have neither.

Totally agree. I think people like us (heavily white, middle age, middle class) forget that black voters are not just high percentage voters, but are pragmatic, informed and bullshit resistant. They look at the bigger picture, and their vote is calculated differently than any of us can even realize. Do they love Biden more than anything? Some yes, but most, know that Biden not only was Obama's right hand man, but that he was the candidate the white suburban voters and white women could support. They are playing chess, while so many younger, white, privileged voters are playing connect 4.

Biden is on track to break the Obama/Clinton 2008 record (17.5m votes each) for most votes received in a party primary.

Now in "a perfect world land" 2020 election edition:

If Biden can squeak out a win in Texas and win Florida like he and Obama did twice, there’s a serious possibility Trump doesn’t win a single state worth more than 11 electoral votes.

Last edited:
The Supreme Court has dropped another absolute turd of a ruling this morning. It's a 7-2 walloping. Sotomayor is the only justice with any sense of morality.

Fortunately, all they ruled was the president has authority to change the rule, meaning Biden can change it back in a few months if we all get out and vote.

Me thinks there has been some horse trading going on. The conservatives handing Trump some small victories in exchange for more consequential decisions against him. And remember, we should be getting the Trump tax return ruling this week. So two small "victories today" may be to soften the blow of what's to come.

Wait, you're telling me that Trump paid someone to take your SAT's? I don't believe it.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1281206354334625793

For the 1/100th time, the reason we show so many Cases, compared to other countries that haven’t done nearly as well as we have, is that our TESTING is much bigger and better. We have tested 40,000,000 people. If we did 20,000,000 instead, Cases would be half, etc. NOT REPORTED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom