US Politics XXIV: Your Country Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an article laying out what I was saying last week about how the election begins in many places in about 35-57 days from now. And Trump campaign is taking a break to try and retool right now. The chaos president has brought it to his own campaign.
(Again, this week through the 21st of August will be dominated by VP and Dem convention, leaving the number of days of real campaigning before the earliest voting starts to about 15-40 days)

https://twitter.com/AlxThomp/status/1290294134201135107

Yes, it’s absolutely imperative for Dems on the ground to get massive numbers of voters in as soon as possible. That way you eliminate impacts of COVID running rampant in the fall, last minute issues with mail delivery (for those who can vote that way) and heaven knows what other shit hits the country from Labour Day until Election Day.

The other thing is, leverage all this current Trump anger into downticket voting. Very likely that you’ll find voters who can’t stand him but are otherwise apathetic or uninvolved politically. If you can get those to vote D up and down the ballot, the GOP is totally screwed.

In my gut, heart and brain I absolutely think Trump is done and every day now that we’re less than 100 days away is a day closer to something akin to going into cancer remission. But he’s not the only one on the ticket.

You get the weirdest ever ultra-micro targeted ads in this market. Like there’s been a recent ad where South Asian children wonder aloud if Dick Durban hates them.

In this case their micro target is one orange creature.

Well, I think we can rule out Karen Bass for VP. I mean, already being the least known and most boring of the pack - having to come out and say - I'm not a communist, probably isn't great for her chances.

Well, I think we can rule out Karen Bass for VP. I mean, already being the least known and most boring of the pack - having to come out and say - I'm not a communist, probably isn't great for her chances.

Well saying "I am a communist" would have been worse.
As I mentioned previously, 2020 is not the year to have a candidate named "Karen" regardless of qualifications. Would be far too easy fodder for memes and the like.

Well saying "I am a communist" would have been worse.
As I mentioned previously, 2020 is not the year to have a candidate named "Karen" regardless of qualifications. Would be far too easy fodder for memes and the like.

Sad but true. Also, as was mentioned a while back, Biden/Bottoms... Just not happenin'

I'm surprised he continues to agree to these interviews that show him to be a blathering moron.
Somehow he thinks (and his rumpswabs must tell him) that he comes across well in these settings.

I'm surprised he continues to agree to these interviews that show him to be a blathering moron.
Somehow he thinks (and his rumpswabs must tell him) that he comes across well in these settings.

Remember, this is the campaign that still calls his tear gas visit to the church to hold a bible upside down a huge win!

Last edited:
The blast in Beirut was unreal.

You can see the fireworks going off at beginning, then red smoke followed by the giant blast and shock wave.

Gas/chemicals ?

When I heard that it was at the port I thought maybe oil tanker but looks like a building. Definitely something highly flammable inside.

Yup. I'm afraid Lebanon has just been dealt its final blow, quite literally. Destruction in a radius of 10km or more. The whole country is basically bankrupt but for mindstaggering financial acrobatics by the central bank. Reports suggest it was a huge storage of fireworks that caught fire, and the big building next to it was storing nitrate.

The economic situation, plus of course Corona have been more than enough of a headache for the country.

Lebanon has also been the financial refuge of the Assad clan. Basically all its funding went through Beirut. It's been closely linked with the Iraqi economy, which is also faltering. And of course Iran is heavily invested in Lebanon. The implications could be widespread. I'm not yet sure what will come next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom