US Politics XXIII: Law & Order SOU (Stupid Orange Unit)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we should rename him Archie Bunker. The blatant racism fits.

And loved Ivanka's handbag during the walk. She must be prepping her line of "accessories for martial law".

Bunker Boy is probably one of the few legitimately funny Trump memes, sums up the man perfectly. Talks a big game but refuses to be anywhere near people who don't want to kiss his ass.

Even Nixon talked to protesters.

The last 48 hours not only sums up the Trump and his administration, but paints a clear picture of our choice in November.

Split screen:

Biden: walks among the protesters and talks with them. Kneels with them and listens to them.
The next day he does the same, along with visiting a local church for 2 hours to sit and listen to black community leaders and get their insight and advice (and take some hard questions) on how to best move forward and make change.

Trump: Hides in a bunker for silent. Calls Putin and watches Fox News for advice. Calls governors to insult them and call them weak, and tell them that the protesters are a movement that needs to be dominated and put down.
Then takes to the podium to espouse dictator-style military force against American citizens. Claims that he is an ally of peaceful protesters. Minutes later, uses tear gas and rubber bullets against his "allys" so he can use a church as a photo op. Then makes a mockery of the Christian religion and people of faith by awkwardly and strangely holding a bible upside down in front of the church for about 30 seconds with a tough-guy face, and strolls back to the bunker.

If anyone in this forum still has any doubt of where their vote will go in November. Just remember this day. Put aside whoever you wished were on the ballot and think about that split screen and what it means for our country for the next 4 years.

He's going to another church today-Saint John Paul II National Shrine. He really thinks people are stupid. Of course some are, and will fall for this insulting disrespectful charade.

Donnie really represents what Jesus represents, no doubt about that.

29107842-8378797-image-a-78_1591071565452.jpg

This speech by Biden is striking me as being really very good. Tons of empathy.

Yes but he voted for the Iraq war and i can’t let go of the past so I’d rather ruin the future

I’m glad Biden has been more visible lately. We are desperate for any sort of calming voice.

He's going to another church today-Saint John Paul II National Shrine. He really thinks people are stupid. Of course some are, and will fall for this insulting disrespectful charade.

Donnie really represents what Jesus represents, no doubt about that.

View attachment 12525
There's a reason he thinks people are stupid.

Many of them are.

hewson doesn't know how roman numerals work.

3baL.gif

Last edited:
This speech by Biden is striking me as being really very good. Tons of empathy.
I'll give him credit: I thought he handled it about as well as he is able to handle it, considering the things he cannot say because of his record and stances. He's certainly handling this better than Nancy Pelosi, who is coming across once again as insanely out-of-touch.

Why is she obsessing over the Bible thing and not the violence police are committing against citizens? Because she can only view her relationship to Trump as some sort of petty meme war. She just wants to make fun of him. It's fine to make fun of Trump, so long as you're making an effort to right his wrongs. But she's content to not even bother putting up actual opposition, because she's more concerned with not taking "losses" on legislation.

[TWEET]1267841617790226434[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1267857323210375169[/TWEET]

I'll give him credit: I thought he handled it about as well as he is able to handle it, considering the things he cannot say because of his record and stances. He's certainly handling this better than Nancy Pelosi, who is coming across once again as insanely out-of-touch.

Why is she obsessing over the Bible thing and not the violence police are committing against citizens? Because she can only view her relationship to Trump as some sort of petty meme war. She just wants to make fun of him. It's fine to make fun of Trump, so long as you're making an effort to right his wrongs. But she's content to not even bother putting up actual opposition, because she's more concerned with not taking "losses" on legislation.

[TWEET]1267841617790226434[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1267857323210375169[/TWEET]

Old and out of touch I agree with, but I don't think anyone can argue that Pelosi isn't very religious. She's not reading the bible for the first time as a prop or something.
But you're right. She's trying to beat Trump on petty meme's. She needs to just talk about standing with the peaceful protesters right now and leave out the other shit.

Been happy with what I'm seeing from Biden. I get genuine compassion and that he is really trying to be better by understanding and listening. Sometimes you have to give people a chance and know that they can change and grow. Everyone makes mistakes and bad choices in their past. Many people held beliefs that they change and grow from over the years. Holding candidates to selective past votes or choices they made over decades, and ignoring what they are doing now to try to be better isn't good for anyone.

Anyway. Also agree with the "healing" part. That's the easy thing for white people to say once the demonstrations are over. Oh, it's all healed now, lets move one. We gotta do better than that.

https://www.gq.com/story/why-violent-protests-work

Why Violent Protests Work

I’ve studied protest from the 1950s to today, and I’ve looked at this across a host of different issues in which individuals can see change, whether electoral shifts or policies or donations. The reality is that—objectively examining protests—violent protest has a positive impact on political and policy change. Nonviolent protest brings awareness to an issue; violent protest brings urgency to an issue. It forces individuals to pay attention to these important discussions of race relations, but also prompts the international community to join in and say, “Hey, there’s something wrong there.” We see protests breaking out in Berlin and other cities throughout the world right now. So there is a positive, influential aspect of violent protest. Saying that, naturally I don’t condone violence, and I’m not pushing for individuals to engage in unlawful behavior, but if we are objectively examining the influence of protests, we’re being disingenuous to say that violent protest does not bring individuals to the table, that it does not lead to policy change. That simply isn’t true.

One of the most contentious protests we’ve seen that we can relate and compare to what we’re seeing now in 2020 is the Rodney King riots in the 1990s. This is a protest that became very violent, and if you look at the representative for that area, it was Maxine Waters in South Central L.A. When she spoke about these events, she referred to it as “righteous anger,” because she understood the pain individuals were going through. And it led her to engage in more policy actions in the House. Before the riots took place, she was looking at initiatives involving international things, women’s rights— but after this took place, she began focusing on bills dealing with the concerns of protesters. We saw her work on public housing, we saw a neighborhood infrastructure bill pass, we saw an inner city job creation bill she introduced. In addition to that, George Bush had several meetings looking at how he should address this. Later Bush came out and he had no choice but to acknowledge the reality of the times. He said, “In the wake of the L.A. riots, can any one of us argue that we have solved the problem of poverty and racism?” And the answer is no. Every day discussions at the water cooler actually changed because of that.

Oftentimes, when people say “violent protest has no impact,” it’s not because they have empirical evidence. They’re relying on their optimistic notions of seeing King and hearing his rhetoric. And those things are true, that nonviolence can be effective, but the violence can also be effective if you look at the data and follow the protests and see the impact it has on policy.

Ferguson is a great example for us to assess activism and policy, because with Ferguson, we didn’t see a massive change in many things. But the point we gotta take from Ferguson is that it fits into a larger narrative. Sometimes we see protests today, and then we wait 24 hours, and see that nothing happened the next day. We say to ourselves, “This is useless, we’re wasting our time.” But the way in which I approach protest influence is through a larger, broader lens. What protest does, especially Ferguson, is it fits in this larger narrative of racial and ethnic minority protests that have pushed back on police brutality throughout the years. So we’re seeing the Ferguson arrests around 2014—what’s the impact it has? It begins to bring awareness and urgency to this issue. Shortly after that, there’s more attention and more interest in Black Lives Matter. There are more protests in 2016, and Black Lives Matter begins to grow in strength. By the time we get to 2020, the reason why George Floyd becomes a protest that bubbles over into the streets and leads to various forms of violence and resonates across the world is because of all the protests that preceded it. George Floyd is not necessarily the catalyst—it’s the crescendo.

It was like this in the ‘60s. Some might have said, “Why didn’t we see some kind of change immediately following the protest in 1961 or ‘62 or ‘63?” Take your pick. But then we see the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, and all of a sudden we have the policy change we’re looking for. But it took time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom