US Politics XII: shutting down Interference until @U2 agrees to pay for a firewall - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #741
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,427
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrpilot View Post
The left controls 90% of the media
Thanks, orgeropevekeodisa
__________________

Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #742
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,564
Local Time: 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Thanks, orgeropevekeodisa


Why, I have ~no~ ~idea~ what you’re talking about, mister.
__________________

LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 02-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #743
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,427
Local Time: 09:27 PM
The largest station operator in the country is Sinclair. Don't give me this 90% of the media is owned by the left bullshit.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #744
The Fly
 
Zephyrpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 199
Local Time: 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
The largest station operator in the country is Sinclair. Don't give me this 90% of the media is owned by the left bullshit.
Speaking of larger networks, big city papers. Not every local station or small town gazette newspaper
Zephyrpilot is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #745
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,427
Local Time: 09:27 PM
You don't get to cherry pick the stats that help your argument, oregeropa
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 PM   #746
The Fly
 
Zephyrpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 199
Local Time: 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
You don't get to cherry pick the stats that help your argument, oregeropa
What is oregeropa?
Zephyrpilot is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #747
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,564
Local Time: 10:27 PM
You are
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 02-17-2019, 10:08 PM   #748
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,748
Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Oh what the fuck?
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #749
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,522
Local Time: 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrpilot View Post
Speaking of larger networks, big city papers. Not every local station or small town gazette newspaper


Media may be staffed by 90% democrat voting liberals, but they are wildly over concerned with being biased, and in effect they actually spin the news to the right via overcompensation. They view themselves as professionals and are obsessed with doing a good job.

Actual right wingers in the news think of themselves as crusaders.

Everything is tilted more right than it should be.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 06:42 AM   #750
The Fly
 
Zephyrpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 199
Local Time: 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Media may be staffed by 90% democrat voting liberals, but they are wildly over concerned with being biased, and in effect they actually spin the news to the right via overcompensation. They view themselves as professionals and are obsessed with doing a good job.

Actual right wingers in the news think of themselves as crusaders.

Everything is tilted more right than it should be.
That’s a pretty broad statement. I think you have a percentage of crusaders on both sides.
Zephyrpilot is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #751
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,427
Local Time: 09:27 PM
The largest station owner in the US is a conservative company.

Talk radio is dominated by conservatives.

The internet tilts whichever way you want it to tilt.

This idea that the media is dominated by the left is right wing horse shit propaganda propped up by douchebags like Hannity and Donald Trump.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #752
The Fly
 
Zephyrpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 199
Local Time: 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
The largest station owner in the US is a conservative company.

Talk radio is dominated by conservatives.

The internet tilts whichever way you want it to tilt.

This idea that the media is dominated by the left is right wing horse shit propaganda propped up by douchebags like Hannity and Donald Trump.
Even the Sinclair affiliates be it ABC, CBS, NBC. Run their national headlines fed to them from the respective Headquarters in NY. While Sinclair May have conservative ownership, the national news headlines have the the tilt of the big 3 networks. Which I’m sure we can agree is more critical of Trump.

Talk radio is dominated by conservatives because they enjoy that format. Truckers, working class whites are able to listen on the job.

I’ll revise. 75% of media messaging in America has a leftward bias
Zephyrpilot is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #753
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,427
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrpilot View Post
Even the Sinclair affiliates be it ABC, CBS, NBC. Run their national headlines fed to them from the respective Headquarters in NY. While Sinclair May have conservative ownership, the national news headlines have the the tilt of the big 3 networks. Which I’m sure we can agree is more critical of Trump.



Talk radio is dominated by conservatives because they enjoy that format. Truckers, working class whites are able to listen on the job.



I’ll revise. 75% of media messaging in America has a leftward bias
That's still too high. You're not factoring in the internet. People search out the news they want, and then what they search is fed back to them via algorithm. To not include this is to not paint a true picture of where people get their news from.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #754
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 10:27 PM
I like how the proof is that the networks are “critical of Trump”. Because based on his presidency, his decorum, his inability to get along with basically anyone who is not an autocratic dictator, his lack of understanding of government, the Constitution and the judiciary, his inflammatory, racist and sexist daily rants and incoherent news conference somehow warrant a positive and glowing coverage. Hello, if most things written or said about him are critical, it’s because he is a steaming pile of failure.
anitram is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #755
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,728
Local Time: 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I like how the proof is that the networks are “critical of Trump”. Because based on his presidency, his decorum, his inability to get along with basically anyone who is not an autocratic dictator, his lack of understanding of government, the Constitution and the judiciary, his inflammatory, racist and sexist daily rants and incoherent news conference somehow warrant a positive and glowing coverage. Hello, if most things written or said about him are critical, it’s because he is a steaming pile of failure.
This. Thank you.

To say nothing of how apparently it's only liberals who are or can be critical of Trump. Not like there couldn't possibly be any conservatives out there who don't support this guy or anything.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #756
The Fly
 
Zephyrpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 199
Local Time: 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I like how the proof is that the networks are “critical of Trump”. Because based on his presidency, his decorum, his inability to get along with basically anyone who is not an autocratic dictator, his lack of understanding of government, the Constitution and the judiciary, his inflammatory, racist and sexist daily rants and incoherent news conference somehow warrant a positive and glowing coverage. Hello, if most things written or said about him are critical, it’s because he is a steaming pile of failure.
He is who he is. Many people hate him, but he is truly one of the most fascinating public figures of the last century. It’s a shame that most journalists spend their time parroting borderline stealing headlines from each other. Probably of no fault of their own. Just feeding the media machine. I’m not saying Trump has done anything good but the media’s inability to find new angles to cover him only estranges them further from the Trumpkins. Then it’s one big echo chamber with no influence on a movable voter
Zephyrpilot is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #757
War Child
 
Jerry Dunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 949
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrpilot View Post
The left controls 90% of the media
Media companies are all corporations and are, by definition, supportive of capitalism. Leftists (not Democrats, mind you) do not support capitalism, and thus do not control any media entity in the United States that you are referring to.
Jerry Dunk is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #758
War Child
 
Jerry Dunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 949
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrpilot View Post
He is who he is. Many people hate him, but he is truly one of the most fascinating public figures of the last century. It’s a shame that most journalists spend their time parroting borderline stealing headlines from each other. Probably of no fault of their own. Just feeding the media machine. I’m not saying Trump has done anything good but the media’s inability to find new angles to cover him only estranges them further from the Trumpkins. Then it’s one big echo chamber with no influence on a movable voter
There is not that much to say. Trump is a very simple man. His election does not suggest much more than the fact that about a quarter of the people in America liked the fact that he can say horrible things about people without consequence.

The best analysis of Trump, in my opinion, comes from the writer David Roth.

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/th...eft-1830329753

Quote:
This is more or less what Trump has always thought the news should be like: people with microphones clamoring for his opinion and asking him about himself. For decades the man has dreamed of reporters calling out “please, sir, what’s the latest on your personal feuds” or “sir, how did you achieve this amazing success?” while he delivers flirty winking answers. That this is not the way it goes now that he’s president clearly causes him great frustration. Watch these pissy helicopter-adjacent scrums and you may see a lumpy pink dope bellowing “we’re looking into that very strongly” in response to questions he transparently can’t answer and dispensing whatever thudding speculative idiocy he thinks will get him to the next question. Other people will see what Trump sees. The important thing for him is that the microphones are still pointed in the right direction.

The culture has been inching further and further into Trump’s gilded funhouse for years now, and you surely do not need me to tell you that it fucking sucks in there. But we are, by now, all the way in. Trump is nearly as ubiquitous in the culture as he has always believed he should be; the one deeply held belief that has been evident throughout his whole faithless disgrace of a life is people should be talking about Donald Trump more, on television, and he has just about seen that part through. All Trump wants, all he has ever wanted, is to be able to keep doing and taking and saying whatever he wants whenever he wants. He ran for president for this reason and this reason only.

His politics, to the extent that they’ve ever been legible, have always been off-the-rack big city tabloid bullshit—crudely racist exterminate the brutes/back the blue authoritarianism in the background and ruthless petty rich person squabbling in the front. His actions since becoming president have been those of a dim, cruel child playacting at being a powerful man—giving orders without quite knowing what they mean or how they might be carried out, taunting enemies, beating up the people he can afford to beat up without having to be called to account for it, lying as needed or just for yuks. He hasn’t changed a thing since graduating from punchline to president. It’s been clear for decades that Trump was both an asshole and a dummy; this is now a problem not just for the odd unlucky cocktail waitress and his staff of cheesy apparatchiks but for literally every person on earth.
Jerry Dunk is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #759
The Fly
 
Zephyrpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 199
Local Time: 10:27 PM
The challenge is to figure out how to take him down in 2020. Get the movable voters onto a viable Dem candidate. Can’t make the same mistakes as 2016.
Zephyrpilot is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #760
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,522
Local Time: 10:27 PM
US Politics XII: shutting down Interference until @U2 agrees to pay for a firewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrpilot View Post
He is who he is. Many people hate him, but he is truly one of the most fascinating public figures of the last century. It’s a shame that most journalists spend their time parroting borderline stealing headlines from each other. Probably of no fault of their own. Just feeding the media machine. I’m not saying Trump has done anything good but the media’s inability to find new angles to cover him only estranges them further from the Trumpkins. Then it’s one big echo chamber with no influence on a movable voter



He’s not fascinating; he’s an objectively awful person who sees nothing beyond the potential for financial gain. The whole reason for his candidacy was money, and he views the presidency as a way to make money. That’s it. He doesn’t actually believe in much of anything, aside from his misogynist, racist, and authoritarian impulses. He has no capacity for joy. He’s not just a narcissist, he’s a nihilist.

The “same headlines” you see are from the media reporting on his nearly incessant lies. Constant lies. About everything, even things that don’t need to be lied about (crowd size, hand size, plot points from “Sicario 2”). Objective reporting on Trump only looks like bias (to you) because it has no choice to be anything other than critical — all he does is lie, and it is the media’s job (actual journalists, not right wing media) to report when people in positions of power tell lies and cheat and steal.
__________________

Irvine511 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×