THEOCRACY WATCH: The War on Christians?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
[q]There are those who would say Tom DeLay lost his job as House majority leader because he was indicted by a Texas grand jury on charges of money laundering and conspiracy, or because of his extensive ties to lawbreaking lobbyist Jack Abramoff. But they would be wrong.

In fact, the Texas Republican fell from power because he is a Christian.

That, at least, is the view of Rick Scarborough, convener of a conference this week called "The War on Christians."

"I believe the most damaging thing that Tom DeLay has done in his life is take his faith seriously into public office, which made him a target for all those who despise the cause of Christ," Scarborough said, introducing DeLay yesterday. When DeLay finished, the host reminded the politician: "God always does his best work right after a crucifixion."

[...]

Gary Bauer, a Christian activist and former presidential candidate, argued in a speech that the "War on Christians" in America was even emboldening al-Qaeda. "They believe they can win, because they believe you and I are decadent; they think our civilization is fat and lazy," he said. "I believe they're wrong, but I understand why they're confused."

And why are they confused? Because American Christians are attacked by "elites" who think America is "a country of unbridled liberty, different strokes for different folks."

[...]

This is a man that I believe God has appointed," Scarborough said, a view that might surprise the voters of the 22nd District of Texas. Scarborough, in his introduction, said DeLay had been "virtually destroyed in the press," and he urged the crowd to campaign for DeLay -- though he said nonprofit tax rules prevented him from actually "endorsing" DeLay.

The congressman started with a profession of faith, then went on a tour of the religious views of great presidents. He seemed to be on the verge of discussing his own troubles when he recalled Lincoln's view that men should "confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow."

But this was not the time for a DeLay confessional. Instead, he gave his view on the War on Christians. "Sides are being chosen, and the future of man hangs in the balance!" he warned. "The enemies of virtue may be on the march, but they have not won, and if we put our trust in Christ, they never will. . . . It is for us then to do as our heroes have always done and put our faith in the perfect redeeming love of Jesus Christ."

DeLay basked in the rapturous ovation that followed. "Keep your eyes on Jesus," Scarborough called after the fallen leader as he departed the stage.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/28/AR2006032801566.html?sub=AR

[/q]

nbcrusader said:
THEOCRACY WATCH?

Is there government action here, or just another dose of the usual?

well, let's see -- we have a tax-exempt, non-profit man saying that DeLay was appointed by God as well as a former Congressman (and probably the most powerful Congressman of the past 30 years) dividing up the world and country into two sides: those on the side of Christ, and those against.

can Tom DeLay hold these views? of course. and of course it would be far worse for him to have said them on the floor of Congress. still, such comments are politically dangerous and morally repugnant. does it not bother you to see your faith manipulated and abused in such a manner and then translated directly into political power?

Irvine511 said:
can Tom DeLay hold these views? of course. and of course it would be far worse for him to have said them on the floor of Congress. still, such comments are politically dangerous and morally repugnant. does it not bother you to see your faith manipulated and abused in such a manner and then translated directly into political power?

Do I agree with Scarborough? Not at all.

Does it bother me? Not really. Plenty of people say stupid things to generate interest or support for their cause. To me, Scarborough was just after his 15 minutes of fame and made a worthless "victim" claim about DeLay.

Still, I see no government action in this case.

verte76 said:
This is nonsense. DeLay broke the law. It had nothing to do with him being a Christian.

exactly, I mean what he did was unchristian.

verte76 said:

You could say it was unchristian, but it was a strictly legal affair and had nothing to do with which religion he professes.

Actually, as Christians, we are suppose to respect and obey the authority placed over us - including the law DeLay broke.

Back
Top Bottom