Ted Turner - Men Should Be Barred From Public Office For 100 Years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003124692

"When asked about the possibility that the next U.N. secretary general might be a woman, Turner went a step further, advocating that men should be barred from public office for a hundred years in every part of the world.

As for women: "If we had women holding all the public offices, the amount of money on the military would be immediately cut way back and more would be spent on healthcare and education," Turner said. "There wouldn't be lack of family planning or birth control if the women ran things."

Generalization, and of course there are women who wouldn't be like that and men who are less "hawkish", but I often do wonder how different the world could be if women were truly in charge of it on that level. We really are in charge of it in so many ways, it's just that men don't want to face that fact
:wink:

verte76 said:
It would be interesting to see what happened if women did hold all of the political offices.
Nancy Grace for President?

I'm not sure that it would make us that much less hawkish. Maybe a little bit.

Ah, sure would be an interesting experiment!

But then that expression "absolute power corrupts absolutely" comes to mind - I don't think we'd be willing to relinquish power to the men after our 100 years was up!

Macfistowannabe said:
:lmao:
Ah, a self-loathing man condemning all men.

So because he thinks women would make better leaders than men he's self loathing and condemning all men? Or because he "dares" to publicly state such a "revolutionary" idea? He's betraying the sanctity of manhood, isn't he?

And no, it has absolutely nothing to do with sexual intimacy.

MrsSpringsteen said:

So because he thinks women would make better leaders than men he's self loathing and condemning all men? Or because he "dares" to publicly state such a "revolutionary" idea? He's betraying the sanctity of manhood, isn't he?

And no, it has absolutely nothing to do with sexual intimacy.
You admitted in the original post that it was an outrageous generalization. He's not betraying "the sanctity of manhood", but at the same time, he's also not promoting gender equality. The sexual intimacy comment was a tongue in cheek example of how, like your comment suggests, men don't like to admit when women are in conrol.

I never said it was an outrageous generalization.

Why do you consider it self loathing for a man to say something like that? I think that's an important question.

He's not promoting gender equality? Yes he's not, only because even if women took over for 100 years it's a drop in the bucket compared to how long men have been in charge.

Macfistowannabe said:
You admitted in the original post that it was an outrageous generalization. He's not betraying "the sanctity of manhood", but at the same time, he's also not promoting gender equality.

Yes, because history up until this point has been such a balanced state of gender equality..... :|

MrsSpringsteen said:
I never said it was an outrageous generalization.
Okay, but it was a wee-bit over the top. There are good generalizations, like "those who live by the sword die by the sword", that help you understand the world better. There are also the outrageous generalizations, and I'm not sure how Ted's can be a "good" one.

Why do you consider it self loathing for a man to say something like that? I think that's an important question.
Would you consider a woman self-loathing if she said that women don't belong in office anywhere?

It is self-loathing.

He's not promoting gender equality? Yes he's not, only because even if women took over for 100 years it's a drop in the bucket compared to how long men have been in charge.
In charge of office, yes, but what does that say to the good men who are in office, besides your gender is a curse?

I'm not sure I have time to run the world, what with my cooking and cleaning and all.

I love when men start screaming about gender inequality because in the last couple of decades there has been a move in the opposite direction. As opposed to thousands of years of suppression! Hilarious.

anitram said:
I'm not sure I have time to run the world, what with my cooking and cleaning and all.

I love when men start screaming about gender inequality because in the last couple of decades there has been a move in the opposite direction. As opposed to thousands of years of suppression! Hilarious.
Who's "screaming" about it?

It's a discussion, not a shouting match.

Macfistowannabe said:
Okay, but it was a wee-bit over the top. There are good generalizations, like "those who live by the sword die by the sword", that help you understand the world better. There are also the outrageous generalizations, and I'm not sure how Ted's can be a "good" one.

Would you consider a woman self-loathing if she said that women don't belong in office anywhere?

It is self-loathing.

In charge of office, yes, but what does that say to the good men who are in office, besides your gender is a curse?

No, you were changing what I said to fit your own opinion- I never said outrageous so you shouldn't have said that I did. You think it is outrageous.

You're being a tad melodramatic, I think the point Ted is trying to make is that many men are screwing things up so royally that perhaps some changes should be made. It's his style to speak in hyperbole, but the underlying message is there and is valid in my opinion. He's hardly saying that being a male is a curse, and I don't know where you get that from :huh:

It is not self loathing for a man to express those sentiments, or to promote women as leaders. His statement is a good one because it forces us all to take a good hard look at our attitudes and our leaders, and I for one think it's good for any man to think critically about all of that and to not be threatened in any way by women in leadership positions. I think it's self loathing for a man to be sexist.

from cnn.com

"Men should be barred from public office for 100 years in every part of the world. ... It would be a much kinder, gentler, more intelligently run world. The men have had millions of years where we've been running things. We've screwed it up hopelessly. Let's give it to the women."

And I don't know what Nancy Grace has to do with it either, is she running in 08?

MrsSpringsteen said:

No, you were changing what I said to fit your own opinion- I never said outrageous so you shouldn't have said that I did. You think it is outrageous.

You're being a tad melodramatic, I think the point Ted is trying to make is that many men are screwing things up so royally that perhaps some changes should be made. It's his style to speak in hyperbole, but the underlying message is there and is valid in my opinion. He's hardly saying that being a male is a curse, and I don't know where you get that from :huh:
So do we have to resort to dictatorship to achieve gender equality?

MrsSpringsteen said:
It is not self loathing for a man to express those sentiments, or to promote women as leaders. His statement is a good one because it forces us all to take a good hard look at our attitudes and our leaders, and I for one think it's good for any man to think critically about all of that and to not be threatened in any way by women in leadership positions. I think it's self loathing for a man to be sexist.
I promote Janice Rogers Brown not because of her gender or race, but because I believe in what she stands for. I would have placed her ahead of Samuel Alito in the Supremes race. But I don't have to play on white male guilt on order to endorse her.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Do you always have to find the extreme in order to dismiss the idea?
No. I consider Pat Buchanan to be the extreme, and even if I knew of a likewise counterpart, my comment wouldn't have been more "extreme" than Nancy Grace. I think Nancy Grace is a little hawkish in delivery, sure, but I don't consider her "extreme."

Macfistowannabe said:
But I don't have to play on white male guilt on order to endorse her.

White male guilt? What does that have to do with anything that Ted Turner said? He is saying that he feels that men have screwed things up and that women have the abilities to be good leaders. And oh my God, he said that women would run things more intelligently- the horror :eek:

And I am baffled by your comment about dictatorship.

MrsSpringsteen said:

White male guilt? What does that have to do with anything that Ted Turner said? He is saying that he feels that men have screwed things up and that women have the abilities to be good leaders. And oh my God, he said that women would run things more intelligently- the horror :eek:
Many women do make great leaders.

MrsSpringsteen said:
And I am baffled by your comment about dictatorship.
How so?

Macfistowannabe said:
In BARRING MEN FROM OFFICE for 100 years.

But no, that is freedom, not dictatorship.

Do you even read people's responses? I'm getting the impression you don't.

Did you not see the response which you quoted was saying the language was hyperbole?

Macfistowannabe, do you seriously think Ted Turner is suggesting men be banned from government for real? Silly me, I just thought he was making a bold statement to make a point.

Bono's shades said:
Macfistowannabe, do you seriously think Ted Turner is suggesting men be banned from government for real? Silly me, I just thought he was making a bold statement to make a point.

Read his other thread. He's into literal interpretations these days.

I heard he has a diabolical plan to wipe all men off the face of the earth :shh:

Actually right now that sounds great, I'll save James Spader and Bruce and U2

Funny, I think a very self assured and self confident man would make comments like that. Oooh, the very foundation of "masculinity" is at stake *shudder* *sound of earth falling off its' axis*

Sometimes I really marvel at the way some males here think, it's so surprising especially that younger men think a certain way. I'd better just leave it at that.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
Funny, I think a very self assured and self confident man would make comments like that. Oooh, the very foundation of "masculinity" is at stake *shudder*

I agree, it probably tells you a lot about the posters who think it's anything but masculine.

Back
Top Bottom