Springsteen: "We've Been Mislead"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Moore movie isnot all he had to say. The bit about Presidents attending funerals has been debated in this forum time and again over the past few years. There is NO historical precident at all for Presidents to attend funerals of fallen soldiers. It is rediculous to say this is something Bush has done wrong, when no other president in our country's history has been held to this standard.

As to the flag draped coffins....this policy was put into place a little over a decade ago (Correct me if my math is wrong it may be). Despite that, will will act like it is some kind of consipracy that the Bush administration started this rule to hide the war from the American people. It has been policy for a long time, long before this man was President.

I will not address the Michael Moore issue, since I have repeatedly posted information that demonstrates he lies and manipulates the facts. The fact is Moore does expose things that would not have been given the time of day, some of it true. The hard part is getting people to weed through his bullshit to get to the truth.

Finally, Bruce references the Swifties. They are entitled to their opinions. I however blame the rise of this group on the McCain finance law, which nearly everyone in here celebrated the signing of when it passed. I very clearly pointed out that the Rise of groups like MoveOn was NOT a good thing and that counter groups would rise up. It sickens me to no end that BOTH sides have stooped to this level.

Bruce is a musician, and has always been political. At times I have agreed with him. This time, the quote referenced by Klaus is the spewing of old news, that is shadows of partial truths. I wish he had said something else.

Last edited:
martha said:
So this governor thing is IT?? That's all you've got?

Anything else?
Poverty?
War?
Racial injustice?
Joblessness?
Homelessness?
Hunger?

It's the governor thing? HOW is Springsteen a hypocrite here? Has he ever critcized anyone else for keeping a boyfriend on the payroll, and then remained strangely silent here? Has he ever played a concert to support this McGreevey character?

'Cause if that's all you've got, then you ain't got that much. Then you really haven't been listening to Springsteen's music long enough or closely enough.

And, as I said, that's too bad.

let's go over the facts a bit for those who aren't in the know...

the world trade center was owned by the port authority of new york & new jersey. every airport in the new york city area is owned by the port authority of new york & new jersey. the bridges and tunnels, path trains, etc. etc. are owned and operated by the port authority of new york & new jersey.

the port authority of new york & new jersey is co-owned by the states of new york and new jersey. the position of head of homeland security in the state of new jersey is a position of the UTMOST importance. it's not some secretary job. and for mcgreevey to keep an unqualified person in that position based because he's cute is an absoulute outrage and it put the people of the new york metro area in danger.

then we have the little thing on how mcgreevey is staying in office until november, even though he's already resigned, so that a democrat will take over and finish off mcgreevy's term in office, rather than a special election, where a republican could be elected. in a presidential election year, where new jersey is slowly but surely slipping into the undecided category, this is a BIG deal. not only is mcgreevey not allowing the people of new jersey to have their voice on who should replace him in office, but it also has ramifications on the national election if it is indeed as some people predict it will be.

and that's not to even mention the fund raising scandles that embroiled the mcgreevey administration WELL before this gordon cipel affair became public knowledge.

and as for mcgreevey & springsteen... well... one of mcgreevey's many scandles in dirty jerz also included the handing out of free springsteen tickets to political alies. jim didn't need the free tickets, with his personal sky box overlooking the stage, after all. and yes, bruce supported mcgreevey in his electon for jersey governor in the first place.

And if you honestly think that Bruce would normaly stay quiet about such corruption in NEW FRIGGIN JERSEY...well then perhaps you really haven't been listening to Springsteen's music long enough or closely enough.

Dread, thanks for the information I asked for.

Headache, I understand why you're upset at the governor situation and what you perceive as Springsteen's lack of a response to it, but I think you're using that situation as an excuse to be mad at an artist whose art you enjoy, but whose politics you don't share. I know you like to think you can keep the artist separate from his art, but that just isn't so. Springsteen has supported "liberal" causes since before Reagan dragged him into the arena. These causes and beliefs have informed his art and shaped it into meaningful songs that reflect who he is. Asking him to "shut up and play Thunder Road" is an oxymoron; an artist cannot shut up and still create art. Perhaps he thinks Bush's reelection is a more pressing matter than the problems in New Jersey right now. You may not agree. It may be time for you to come to terms with the fact that you can't separate the artist from the art.

unfortunatly for me that would then mean saying adios to springsteen, pearl jam, dylan, the stones, and yes, u2.

bring on the country singers... yeee haa.

fortunatly, however, i can appreciate the art on it's own, even if i don't neccesarily agree with the political message of the art... ie American Skin. unless bruce does something do srastic and appaling such as runnin' off to meet with the iraqis (didn't john kerry do that? oh wait no that was the nort vietnamese :wink:), then i will continue to respect the art while disagreeing with the politics.

however... in this case... he's ignoring an injustice being done to his own people... the residents of the armpit of america, dirty jerz... for the good of the party. and that's something he's never done before.

if mcgreevey had resigned when he announced his resignation (what a wacky concept), then with no viable democratic candidates for governor (corzine already said he wouldn't run), then jersey likely falls to a republican governor, which in a state that every day inches closer and closer to bush, could push it over the top, which would be devestating to john kerry in a close election.

and bruce's vote for change buddy, eddie vedder, another one of my favorite artists whose politics i do not care for, was a huge ralph nader supporter up until apparently the time in which the DNC got a hold of him and told him that supporting nader may help give bush the white house again. so ed's abandoned a man he once called a friend in order to jump on the dnc kool aid world tour. so perhaps he's the hypocrite, and bruce is simply being mislead.

Dreadsox said:

It is rediculous to say this is something Bush has done wrong, when no other president in our country's history has been held to this standard.

Ok, now remove precedent and Presidntial tradition and custom etc....Is this truly admirable? Not one? A "token" One to represent all of them?

Dead Americans...Of course this is wrong. They deserve more from their President.

I am sidetracking. Apologies.

I did not say that it is right or wrong. I am saying, that for political purposes, it is rediculous to hold him accountable in a way which implies by saying it that other presidents did differently.

NO I do not think the President of the United States should go. #1 Secrurity makes it impossible for families to mourn with the distrations. #2 I think for the President to have a clear mind about decisions, he should not attend. The president does not have to attend a funeral to understand the rammifications of the decisions he/she has made.

Peace

A spade will always be a spade with me Dread and it is wrong to imply he is somehow different to other Presidents.

Next question then, has there ever been a service men and women's memorial which he has attended? With full preparation in terms of security? That then only leaves clouding his judgement. But as you say I also think he is very clear of the rammifications of his decisions - which now leaves what that could do, which is allow many more people to appreciate him as your President for the acknowledgement and respect. Yes he probably does this anyway, but this is politics and he is dealing with a mob public. A little PR (and I'm sure it is probably how he feels anyway in terms of giving his respects to those who have died) goes a hell of a long way in showing he cares, in appeasing those who say he is without compassion, without thought for the families etc etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom