Retribution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawk269

Acrobat
It is time to kick some serious ass.

Ever see the movie Gladiator - when they have to kill all those Barbarians? And General Maximus goes, "on my word, unleash hell".

That is what is about to happen to Afghanistan. If I were an "innocent" Afghan, I would run like hell away from that country. Too bad, so sad, you lose your home. Maybe you all should have tried fighting a little harder for your freedom. Maybe you should have refused to allow a terrorist to live in your backyard. Maybe you should have had a spine and done something to stop this madness. And if you stay, well, that is like staying in your little wooden house when you see a deadly tornado or hurricane approaching fast. Now the whole world hates terrorists and their harborers like never before. I would not want the whole world to be after me. This world is a big place, but it is not big enough to hide from millions of determined, blood thirsty, vengeful people.

I don't know about everyone else here, but I am willing to die for my freedom, my country, my way of life, and my ideals, which are all deeply rooted in the belief in "live and let live". They did not let us live. Now we must not let them get away with it. If there is a draft in the US, I would go without any qualms or reservations. As Japan learned in WW2, so will these terrorist scumbags.

For all you pacifists, I have nothing against your beliefs. But there is a time and a place for everything. Sometimes things happen where you have to defend yourself. Sometimes, turning the other cheek is not the right answer, unless you are willing to let violent, evil beings run this world.

It comes down to our survival vs. their survival. I choose ours. There is no reasoning with illogical religiously psychotic murderers. Think anyone could reason with Hitler? Nope. These people shall pay just like he did.

The comfort I have now is a belief that the innocent people killed on Tuesday are in heaven now, safe and at peace. And I will also take comfort in knowing that these killers will pay for what they have done...we shall see what happens when karma runs its course.

Payback is a bitch.

AJ

And, perhaps sadly, it is the innocent Afghani who will suffer the most in this aftermath. Of course, you might not care, but look at it this way: at the end of World War I, we "won" for all intensive purposes. Our enemies were destroyed completely, with their centuries old monarchies tumbling. The Treaty of Versailles was also designed to punish these nations into never causing aggression again, with Germany being the brunt of the vengeance. Adolf Hitler, deeply angered at how the Allies plunged his beloved "Fatherland" into hyperinflation, poverty, and left defenseless, arises and causes an even bloodier war.

So what will be next? So we get revenge, not only killing bin Laden, but also obliterating the Taliban. Our objectives are complete. But what will be next? Perhaps some affected Afghani will grow up with the same sense of revenge and will become the next Hitler or the next bin Laden. Will it ever end?

We need "justice," not "retribution." It is endless centuries of "retribution" that got the world in this mess in the first place. The U.S. can find a medium between an all-out vengeful war and weakly standing back letting it happen. The challenge is to see whether it will seek it.

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Melon,

I care very much about the innocent Afghani, but he will die if his government insists on putting him in the line of fire between us and our terrorist enemies.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 09-16-2001).]

The only language a terrorist understands is Aggression.
10 years ago, when a certain Administration took over, the Military started "Down-Sizing." They incorporated sensitivity training so we could have a "Kind-dler and Gentle-tler" military to attract the new generation of soft/slacker youth. All the while, these terrorists were over in the desert eating scorpions and buring the American Flag. WE're spoiled! We're no were near as tough as our parents and Granparents were and had to be.
If we don't respond swiftly and harshly, we are going to start losing pieces of the Freedom Puzzle. What's the Freedom Puzzle?
Being able to express freely, are opinions on this Forum. Walking out of are dwellings with no paranoia, carefree with a sense security. Having the choice to strive for financial, religious, and/or sociological excellence. Etc, etc, etc!

And this is not just a US problem! There were many other countries that suffered loses. Britain lost over 300 countrymen.

This is and is going to be a NATO extermination of terrorism. Right now as we speak CIA, NSA, FBI, French Foreign Legion, British Intelligence, Special Forces, NATO Special Forces, and Etc. are in action. Laying down the foundation and doing the homework so we(US,NATO) can go kick BUTT!

So what am I trying to say?

Everybody is entitled to his or her opinion.......................................................................................of course as long as you have the right(or is it a luxury??
eek.gif
) to express it.

Thank you for your time,
Andrew Alexander, FC2(SW), U.S. Navy

biggrin.gif
GOD BLESS AMERICA
biggrin.gif

------------------
U2 is the best Band Ever!

melon,

What you fail to consider is that the Afghani who one day rises up because of our bloody retribution could also rise up under your idea to take actions for justice and minimal risk for Afghani civilians. How do you know they will not hate us regardless of our actions in the coming weeks? We do not know who shall rise up for one reason or another. We could be as fair as possible, but they can still hate us for their illogical, religious reasons. If they could hate us enough to crash planes into our buildings, how can you attempt to predict what will happen as a result of this action or another one? How can you plan for 10, 20, or 30 years from now? The world is not so simple where you can take action A and get to result B. There are nutjobs out there who do not have reason, compassion, or remorse. Again, your idea sounds great in theory, but we are living in a harsh reality.

AJ

As long as we do not go in there hysterically destroying cities and villages, not so unlike the Soviets in the 1980s, we can minimize that risk of angering the civilians. They dislike the Taliban anyway, so seeing their demise will please them. But treating the civilian population as "incidental casualties" will solve nothing.

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Originally posted by speedracer:
Melon,

I care very much about the innocent Afghani, but he will die if his government insists on putting him in the line of fire between us and our terrorist enemies.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 09-16-2001).]

The Taliban are NOT the government. They are a hostile party running the country. The people have tried many times to knock them out. Remember on Tuesday, a few hours after the WTC, CNN cut to Afghanistan where missiles were hitting targets just outside of the capital? Remember the US Gov had to make a statement saying it wasn't them attacking? That was the people of Afghanistan trying to fight back against the Taliban. They have been trying, there are small rebel outfits trying all the time, but they are getting their arses kicked.

The people of Afghanistan are not to blame at all for this, and it is a tragedy that they are going to be caught in the middle of it. I agree that the only way to fight this kind of fire is with fire, I wouldn't normally say that in any other kind of conflict, but with these kind of fanatical terrorists I believe it's true.
I just hope that the US gov. comes up with a way to do it that spares as many innocent Afghan lives as possible. It's not their fault at all.

Back
Top Bottom