MERGED-->The Pope insults Islam + Turkish official compares Pope...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rono said:
The niples off janet and a gay spongebob ? I remember also something about sinead oconner tearing a picture of the pope, what a negative reactions she got. O, and the latest, Madonna on the cross at the new worldtour,...some christians wanted to forbid that trough a court order.

The difference is the scale of reaction. Yeah, Christians get upset when say/do something offensive to their beliefs. They don't take to the streets and start burning stuff, etc. I'm well aware that not Muslims are like this, but this is a pretty vocal minority and gives a lot of people a negative impression of the entire religion. They want people to understand them and be open, well first try to not go off the deep at when someone says something offensive.

randhail said:

The difference is the scale of reaction. Yeah, Christians get upset when say/do something offensive to their beliefs. They don't take to the streets and start burning stuff, etc.

Excuse me! There are still book and cd burnings here all the time, the last one I remember was Eminem. By who? Conservative Christians...

The Wahhabists teach that Muslims teach either convert or die, not your average Joe Q. Muslim. The Turks I recently met certainly weren't teaching any such a thing. Many anti-Wahhabist books have been published in Istanbul. I'm having a challenged day, to say the least. I just quit that class I had a test in because I bombed the damn thing. Anyway, this is an interesting thread today because the of the pope's comment. I wish he hadn't made the comments, but now we have to live with them.

Irvine511 said:
i really wish we had some Muslims in FYM.

i really do.

I do to. But honestly, would you like to be Muslim and post in here? The one somewhat regular poster we did have doesn't post anymore, and I don't blame her.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Excuse me! There are still book and cd burnings here all the time, the last one I remember was Eminem. By who? Conservative Christians...

Fair point, but when that happens the christians tend to be ridiculed for it - those crazy conservative christians need to lighten up, but when you ridicule the muslims for doing the same, everyone takes offense to it and crys "you don't understand them, not all muslims are crazy whackjobs." The double standard that exists is disgusting.

randhail said:

The difference is the scale of reaction. Yeah, Christians get upset when say/do something offensive to their beliefs. They don't take to the streets and start burning stuff, etc. I'm well aware that not Muslims are like this, but this is a pretty vocal minority and gives a lot of people a negative impression of the entire religion. They want people to understand them and be open, well first try to not go off the deep at when someone says something offensive.

in this country, Christians do burn things and condemn people and boycott, but all that's legal. so that's fine. they can be insane for all i care. you're right in that it is a difference in degree -- we don't have Christians issuing fatwahs (and i'll even set aside those who shoot doctors and bomb family planning clinics, just to be nice).

it's interesting, though. in this country, i fear "crazy Christians" much more than i do radical Muslims since they can do more direct harm to me in this country than any jihadist could (despite the fact that i live in a well-known terrorst target city).

however, i'd say the differences of reactions have less to do with the religions themselves, and much more to do with the societal stability of these countries. there's potential for horrible violence in Christianity, as there is with Islam, and vice versa.

Irvine511 said:

however, i'd say the differences of reactions have less to do with the religions themselves, and much more to do with the societal stability of these countries. there's potential for horrible violence in Christianity, as there is with Islam, and vice versa.

I would definitely agree with you.

I guess my issue is how closely the religion is tied into the government. Very rarely do you hear of a government coming out and condemning said overreaction - which in my mind is condoning the actions. If the goal of a muslim state is to accepted by the world, they have to realize that most of the world thinks that people taking to the streets causing chaos is not the best way to go about dealing with things. It will only serve to discourage people from understanding or even willing to understand Islam, muslims.

What needs to happen is there needs to be a huge change in all religions people of no-faith, or different faiths should come together and really interpret the Koran, bible, etc.. and then preach it to the masses of followers, as I see it.

Justin24 said:
What needs to happen is there needs to be a huge change in all religions people of no-faith, or different faiths should come together and really interpret the Koran, bible, etc.. and then preach it to the masses of followers, as I see it.

Until that happens(don't hold your breath) we should educate ourselves. Never wait for someone else to do it for you.

But here is the thing. I was raised Catholic. But I have not attended church. I love the line from Imagine by John Lennon where he sang "Imagine a world with no religion" Isn't that a better solution? To have no christianity, Islam, Jewdisam, Buhddism, etc..

Then we would not burn effigys, call for Jihads or crusades etc...

randhail said:

Fair point, but when that happens the christians tend to be ridiculed for it - those crazy conservative christians need to lighten up, but when you ridicule the muslims for doing the same, everyone takes offense to it and crys "you don't understand them, not all muslims are crazy whackjobs." The double standard that exists is disgusting.

i think it's more (at least on my part) that the "crazy Christians" live in the US and should know better and generally have good lives free from oppression and violence, whereas i can understand (though not excuse) the radicalism that gets infused into a religion when living in extreme, harsh circumstance.

however, many in here, including myself, fully supported the Danish cartoonists. and Slaman Rushdie. and think anyone who's going to kill someone else over defamation of religion really needs to get a life because it's freaking RELIGION!

sheesh. it's not like anyone actually knows.

Speaking of that Cartoon, I had a friend. Sunni Muslim from Morocco and he agreed that the Cartoonist needs to die for that insult, I was disgusted.

Justin24 said:
But here is the thing. I was raised Catholic. But I have not attended church. I love the line from Imagine by John Lennon where he sang "Imagine a world with no religion" Isn't that a better solution? To have no christianity, Islam, Jewdisam, Buhddism, etc..

Then we would not burn effigys, call for Jihads or crusades etc...

This is theory vs. reality. While living in reality you should educate yourself about reality, and still dream. One who lives in either extreme will get lost.

I think this has been way over blown and the pope and Imams need to go sit down and have a conversation for both to understand each other.

What we need is people from both religions who are willing to talk to each other. There has been a massive communication breakdown.

What would be really smart is for religous leader to hold huge seminars for people to really grasp the religion.

Vert I know you are more expert than me in Islam, but is it true, yes or no and if you could explain, did Mohhamed ever go around and start wars and convert people? Or was clerics? I am talking about the past.

Would you be upset if the muslims said jesus is just a jewish carpenter and not a messenger of god and drew funny pictures of him?

No one should be really surprised about the Pope's comments. Back in his past life as "Cardinal Ratzinger," he wrote several essays making known his distaste for ecumenism. I'd say that, while the Vatican is quickly trying to do damage control currently, the Pope's rather medieval mindset is precisely the kind of comment I'd expect from the man formerly known as "Cardinal Ratzinger."

A fancy dress and a promotion cannot change who he is at his core; and now he's opened a Pandora's Box that I think he's going to have a hard time closing.

Melon

Last edited:
No. The thing is that Jesus isn't just a Jewish carpenter. He's a little more important than that. This thread has really taken a strange turn.

Well I was giving an example I know he was more important than just being a carpenter. He did not find his way until he left for the desert for 40 days and nights.

Justin24 said:
Why should they be mad at the pope when he was quoting someone from the Byzantine Empire. And why can't we really see the state of the middle east as an out of control region where extremist muslim groups are trying to become the ruling leaders of the land and impose ancient forms of islam that are then twisted around.

Here's the thing:

You look at the Muslim world, and see jihadists, terrorists, and extremists. As such, you hate them.

The Muslim world looks at the West, and remembers colonialism, the forceful creation of Israel that evicted Muslim landowners without consultation or payment, and wars that have killed thousands of their people. As such, they hate us.

When an Israeli is killed, it makes front page news in the West. It is seen as "collateral damage" in the Muslim world. When a Muslim is killed, whether in the West Bank/Gaza, Lebanon, Iraq, or Afghanistan, it is seen as "collateral damage" in the Western world. It makes front page news in the Muslim world.

That's why I got a very great laugh at when the Bush Administration chided Al-Jazeera and called it "biased," because the Muslim world looks at Western media and calls it the exact same thing.

Melon

No. I don't think Jesus was just another Jewish carpenter, either. He's a little more important than that. If you drew pictures of Him I don't think I'd laugh too hard, though.

Back
Top Bottom