Best And Worst Of 2004

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I know, there's still time left, but let's come up w/ some categories and picks

How about such as..

Most influential political figure

Most inspirational person-doesn't have to be from politics

Most inspirational event

Most horrific world event/best, most positive world event

Dumbest quote from a politician/world leader

Smartest quote from a politician/world leader

Biggest disappointment (in general, not necessarily politics)

The thing in 2004 that most needs to change in 2005

Most influential political figure:
Arnold
````'
Most inspirational person-doesn't have to be from politics:
Bono
````
Most inspirational event:
Super Bowl
`````````
Most horrific world event/best, most positive world event:
Ehh
```
Dumbest quote from a politician/world leader:
Anything from Dan Quayle or Al Gore
`````````````````````````````
Smartest quote from a politician/world leader:
Err
```
Biggest disappointment (in general, not necessarily politics):
Final exams still exist
`````````````````
The thing in 2004 that most needs to change in 2005:
The existence of global terrorism
``````````````````````````

Best event for me is the Red Sox winning the WS, worst would probably be Beslan

Biggest disappointment-the election :D

most influential political figure-for good or bad-Karl Rove

dumbest quote from a politician -Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —President George W. Bush

Thing from 2004 that most needs to change in 05-the situation in Iraq

I'll add funniest-either Dean's scream, Cheney's f word, or the transcript of Bill O'Reilly's sex talks w/ that Fox employee ~ who knew Bill? :D

Re: Re: Best And Worst Of 2004

nbcrusader said:

"I voted for the $87 million before I voted against it" - John Kerry

A verbal gaff that distracted Kerry's ability to define himself.
Bubble poppin, flip floppin' rock n' roll...

MrsSpringsteen said:

dumbest quote from a politician -Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —President George W. Bush

:lmao:

that was a good one.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Yeah, this is WAY dumber than Kerry's quote. It didn't have the impact that Kerry's did, but for sheer dumbness, it runs laps around the $87 billion quote.

Interesting idea for a thread here. Let's see here...

Most influential political figure: Bush has certainly had a lot of influence this year, no doubt about that. Whether it was good or bad...well, that's up to each person to decide.

I'd say that mayor in San Fransisco who decided to let the gay couples get married even though it was against the law. Not condoning law-breaking in general, but when you consider that black people broke the law back in the 50s and 60s, well...this isn't much different.

I would also agree with the mention of Bono, though, definitely. :yes:.

Most inspirational event: I'm not much of a sports person, and baseball's a sport I, like, never watch, but I have to say that it was really cool to see the Red Sox win this year. Kind of goes with that cheesy yet true sentiment of following your dreams and all that.

Most horrific world event/best, most positive world event: Horrific...that Madrid bombing pops into my head right now. Such a sad thing. Best event...hmmm...(kinda disturbing that I can't think of one right now, isn't it?).

Dumbest quote from a politician/world leader: Heh, I'll agree with the Bush one. :p.

Smartest quote from a politician/world leader: Can't think of the exact words right now, but I was pleased during the presidential debates when Kerry made it clear that just because he personally may not agree with certain things, that doesn't mean that his personal beliefs must be enforced on everyone.

Biggest disappointment (in general, not necessarily politics): Hearing that 11 states banned gay marriage :( :down: :angry:.

The thing in 2004 that most needs to change in 2005 The threat of terrorism-me thinks we might want to try some new methods, 'cause the ones we're using right now don't seem to be working very well, at least, not from the way I've been seeing it.

Angela

MOST INFLUENTIAL, WHO KNOWS, BUT THE ONE THAT WILL RESTORE MY FAITH IN POLITICIANS IS BARACK OBAMA

I'M GOING WITH DREAD'S LEMONADE STAND GIRL, SHE WAS AMAZING.

Most inspirational event
AFTER ALL THE SHIT I'VE GONE THROUGH IN THE LAST YEAR WITH MY DIVORCE, NEW JOB, MOVING; A GIRL WHO I HADN'T SEEN IN YEARS CAME UP TO ME AT A WEDDING AND WISPERED IN MY EAR "GRAB ONTO LIFE, YOU'RE TOO MUCH AN AMAZING MAN TO HAVE THE WORLD NOT SEE THAT."

HORRIFIC - STILL IRAQ.
POSITIVE - BIRTH OF MY TWO NEW COUSINS.

THE ONES LISTED BY KERRY AND BUSH BOTH SEEM TO FIT IN THIS CATEGORY.

HMMM?

THE ELECTION

THE DIVISION IN US POLITICS.

Bill Clinton

Barack Obama and Gwen Moore who went from being a poor mom on welfare to a US congresswomen from Wisconsin. She rocks!

Most inspirational event
Not to brag, but graduating with honors was just what I need to keep inspired and excited by life.

Iraq continues to horrify me. And seeing so many people voting on November 2nd filled my heart with joy (even if Bush did win).

Bush's dumbass quote that was mentioned here.

Isn't that any oxymoron?

Bush's re-election.

The division and polarization of the US.

I love this thread! Thank you, Mrs. Springsteen!

Most influential political figure: For better or worse…Karl Rove

Most inspirational person-doesn't have to be from politics: Barack Obama.

Most inspirational event: The positive reactions to “Fahrenheit 9/11.” It was so good to learn that other people thought like I do.

Most horrific world event/best, most positive world event: Beslan, Spanish train bombing/Ukraine protests against election.

Dumbest quote from a politician/world leader: “It’s the mother of all coalitions.”—Donald Rumsfeld, speaking of the few countries that supported the Iraq war in “Fahrenheit 9/11.”

Smartest quote from a politician/world leader: “I have heard some discussions and debates about where, and in front of what audiences we should talk about race, equality, and civil rights. Well, I have an answer to that question. Everywhere! Everywhere! Everywhere!”—John Edwards at the ’04 Democratic National Convention.

Biggest disappointment (in general, not necessarily politics): The election. I miss John Kerry & John Edwards and was looking forward to their administration.

The thing in 2004 that most needs to change in 2005: “Liberal” has to stop being considered a dirty word and an outmoded ideal.

Re: Re: Best And Worst Of 2004

Great thread!

Most influential political figure:
I really like Barack Obama--I hope he accomplishes what he sets out to do. Colin Powell...for better or for worse. Powell is an influential figure. After all, he is the man that said the war on terror is connected to the war on poverty.

Bono is a no brainer but his wife Ali is inspirational as well. Her work with children's hospitals deserves a mention. However, also influential is Sister Ann Carr from the Medical Missionaries of Mary her sisters and laymen and women who work tirelessly with AIDS patients in Malawi. :yes:.

Most inspirational event:
Though I love the Yankees, it was nice to see the Red Sox win. Don't stop believing! (great now I'm quoting Journey....) :tongue:

Most horrific world event/best, most positive world event:

Horrific: Aside from the Madrid bombing, the ongoing war in Iraq.

Best: Seeing the worldwide anti-war protests occur. Wonderful things can happen when people work together. Also, the large number of voters at the polls!

Dumbest quote from a politician/world leader:

My favorite Bush quote: "We got an issue in America...too many good docs are getting out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women." :wink:

Smartest quote from a politician/world leader:

I don't know it word for word but the one Clinton made at the inauguration of his presidential library. Something along the lines of, "I can't be the only one who thinks that both Kerry and Bush are two good people with good intentions for America but with different ways of seeing things."

Biggest disappointment (in general, not necessarily politics):

Working really hard and not once breaking even. Maybe next year will be better than the last...

The polarization of our country needs to be addressed by Bush. Both red and blue states must come together for the good of the country. Blue states have to stop looking at red states as if they were backwards, stupid and out of touch. They have to put their "elitism" (for lack of a better word) and reach out to the heartland. The red states have to stop looking the blue states as if the latter were moral-less, liberal wankers who don't care about family values and God. Most importantly, both sides have to stop LABELING each other! Labels are a cop out; a way of distracting from the larger problems at hand and an easy way to blame others instead of looking within.

Hey he still has some time left for more :p

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/bushquotes/a/topbushisms2004.htm

I've been trying to think of a most inspirational person of 04. Maybe for me the soldiers who died and were injured in Iraq. Their dedication and willingness to put their lives on the line inspires me.

Sadly I can't think of a best personal moment, maybe 05 will be better. Sometimes just seeing the sun come up every day can be a best personal moment. OK, I thought of one-meeting President Clinton at a book signing-also President Carter at his. Also getting my picture taken w/ Johnny Damon :wink: meeting Curt Schilling very briefly was great too.

Inspirational politician - Barack Obama at the DNC -positive speech. And I agree w/ Gavin Newsom too-he has political courage

Last edited:
Most influential political figure-Me (hey, I did convince one of Kerry's top aides to choose Edwards! :wink:)

Most inspirational person-doesn't have to be from politics-call me crazy but John Kerry. He seemed stiff to most but to ME he was an inspiration to keep up the fight. I still do love the man. :up:

Most inspirational event-:hmm: tough one...I'll have to get back to you on that.

Horrific-Abu Ghirab
Positive-handing over the power to Iraqis 2 days earlier than scheduled.
Dumbest quote from a politician/world leader-"Go f:censored:k yourself." ~Dick Cheney

Smartest quote from a politician/world leader-"Shove it!" ~The wonderful THK

Biggest disappointment (in general, not necessarily politics)-THE ELECTION. Still whenever I see Kerry or Edwards I get a sinking pain in my chest. :sad:

The thing in 2004 that most needs to change in 2005-the backwards ideology of closed mindedness in this country.

Most influential political figure--George W. Bush
Most inspirational person--Barack Obama
Most inspirational event--Red Sox winning
Most horrific event--poisoning of Viktor Yushchenko
Biggest disappointment--the election
Thing that needs to change the most--the situation in Iraq

Most influential political figure: President George W. Bush

Most inspirational person-doesn't have to be from politics: Ateqeh Sahaleh the 16 year old girl who was hanged by the mullah's for acting in a manner unbecoming of chastity and for having a "sharp toungue" during her trial.

Most inspirational event: The death of Yasser Arafat and the crumbling of the PLO Gangsters.

Most horrific world event/best, most positive world event: The Assault upon Fallujah.

Dumbest quote from a politician/world leader: Abu Mazen: "Yes, we apologise for what we have done" - the ignorance is when people believe him.

Smartest quote from a politician/world leader: To be perfectly honest I have heard very few smart quotes from any political leaders this year.

Biggest disappointment (in general, not necessarily politics): The utter blindness of the general population to the food for oil scam, a rip off that costed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives and dwarfed the major company collapses like Enron / The fact that Kofi Annan is still in the job and all calls for him to step down are labelled right wing slurs on his character.

The thing in 2004 that most needs to change in 2005: The new armour for the HMMWV needs to be put on quicker.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Best And Worst Of 2004

angel_of_L.A. said:

The polarization of our country needs to be addressed by Bush. Both red and blue states must come together for the good of the country. Blue states have to stop looking at red states as if they were backwards, stupid and out of touch. They have to put their "elitism" (for lack of a better word) and reach out to the heartland. The red states have to stop looking the blue states as if the latter were moral-less, liberal wankers who don't care about family values and God. Most importantly, both sides have to stop LABELING each other! Labels are a cop out; a way of distracting from the larger problems at hand and an easy way to blame others instead of looking within.

*Stands up and :applaud:s* Excellent answer-I couldn't agree more.

I liked your other answers, too :up:.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom